Talkeetna Dall Sheep Hunt

stevevan

WKR
WOW! An absolute dandy. Takes me back to my first ram in the Wrangles. Congrats and thanks for the write up.

BRWNBR

WKR
Where you Tims second client? How did the first guy do who was shopping for a monster for his second grand slam?

OP
Shepherd

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Where you Tims second client? How did the first guy do who was shopping for a monster for his second grand slam?

Yes, I was Tim's second client. The first guy got one but not quite as big as mine. :)

jherald

WKR
Love the Talkeetnas it's a beautiful place. Great first ram! Carries mass all the way through.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great hunt. Braun is a seriously dedicated guide that I've spent many trips with. Tim also is a seasoned verteran who compliments the outfit. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

OP
Shepherd

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. The ram was 10 years old and I got him with a Tikka .300 Win Mag.

keller

WKR
congrats on an awesome ram.what a trophy. I'm going on my first sheep hunt this year and from wi as well and have no idea what to expect any good info you would pass down for a first time sheep hunter? fitness ,equipment...

Snyd

WKR
congrats on an awesome ram.what a trophy. I'm going on my first sheep hunt this year and from wi as well and have no idea what to expect any good info you would pass down for a first time sheep hunter? fitness ,equipment...

Take your time and soak in every moment of every moment because before you know it you will be back on the plane headed home.

BRWNBR

WKR
Take your time and soak in every moment of every moment because before you know it you will be back on the plane headed home.

This for sure. Don’t get hung up on having to kill. Hunt hard have fun enjoy each new set of scenery and sights. The killing will take care of itself.

OP
Shepherd

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Keller,

Here's some information for you...

Equipment (not a complete list)
Pack – Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 – pack worked well, some guys use the larger 7000 but this one worked fine and was sufficient for helping pack out the sheep. My pack was 35 pounds on the way in – including my gun.
Sleeping bag – Western Mountaineering Badger, a down 15 degree bag worked great although very expensive ($500+).
Sleeping Pad – Klymit Static V insulated – worked great, comfortable and warm, quick and easy to inflate.
Raingear – Sitka Cloudburst – worked well, kept me dry and breathed well with zippered vents.
Boots – I used Cabelas Mendl Denali – they did not fit me well. I developed blisters and hot spots (glad I had Moleskin). In their defense, I had not broken them in under the extra weight of a full pack or used insoles. Since then I purchased Crispi Nevada’s, which fit much better and are more comfortable (with insole).
Base/Next to skin layer – I brought along a Kuiu thin merino shirt that ended up very wet, cold and clammy. Thank god I had a synthetic poly shirt. Conversely, the merino long john bottoms worked well.
Pants – I used my Sitka Stratus whitetail pants, which were functional and kept me comfortable. However, when wet (always) they got heavy and never dried out. My mistake here – they’re not designed for a mountain sheep hunt. Next time I’ll use Sitka Mountain or Timberline pants, or the Kuiu equivalent.
Extra’s – Sony DSC HX80 camera, Crocs, moleskin, wool glove-mitts, ball cap and fleece skull cap, binocs (8 or 10 power), headlamp with extra batteries, small paperback, trekking pole (I’d superglue and tape the bottom rubber piece), washcloth or bandana.
Things I wished I had – platypus drink system (allows you to drink on the go), Therm a rest Z seat (sitting pad, keeps your butt dry),

Fitness
I really did not do much to prepare fitness-wise, besides my normal outdoors work (cutting trees, splitting wood, clearing trails, etc.) however I would not recommend this. I’m a triathlete and generally in very good condition, but I’d recommend hiking with your gear (boots, hunting clothes, full weighted pack) up- down- sidehilling steep and uneven terrain. Also do some weights and don’t forget core mid-torso work. There were two days I reached my end physically, where I was totally worn out (once on a 14 mile day, the other with full pack on the way out). This is to be expected on a sheep hunt.

Then just shoot your gun a lot – I zero’d at 200 yards and shot out to 300+.
Like the other said, enjoy your hunt. It will be filled with challenges and tough situations - your positive attitude will carry you through the tough spots. FWIW, I am a novice sheep hunter - there are many on this board, like BRWNBR, who have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about sheep hunting.
Good luck and have a great trip!!

keller

WKR
I appreciate all the info i have been living this dream for about 16 months now so gear wise I'm in pretty god shape physically was doing well till I came down with tendonitis in my left knee working through that now.savoring the experience hits me hard.my first Alaskan hunt spring 2016 Kodiak brown bear.this was my lifelong goal of 20+ years finally got it put together.killed a big beautiful bear day 1 of the hunt could not have been happier. spent two more days in camp in flew back to Kodiak.sitting in the motel waiting for a flight home I was wondering what was going on at the camp I just left. the next day sitting in my motel room it rained hard all day would I be glassing now or sitting in the tent reading a book I wondered.i now look back at my successful hunt where I harvested an awesome animal that the good lord put on this earth.the one I dreamed about for many years and I feel I may have missed out on some of my dream hunt. the experience part putting in the blood, sweat, tears long days behind the binos being cold,wet,windburned, uncomfortable I anticipated all of that.ON that hunt I also had the pleasure of meeting Jake BRWNBR and his client that also took a nice bear early in the hunt and we were headed out on the same flight.the 3 of us talked of our hunting trips for quite awhile I am still impressed with the sincerity of Jake he was interested to hear the details of my hunt and see my pictures I felt like I have known these guys forever during our conversation.fellow hunters are the best. wishing everyone good health and happy hunting in 2018.
thanks john

BRWNBR

WKR
Keller who are you doing your Sheep hunt with?

Thanks for the kind words, best way to meet great people is stick your hand out and say hi. Let me know if I can do anything to help for your Sheep trip, I’ll be out in the field but if you have any questions and want an opinion drop me a pm!