My 2017 Alaska Sheep Season

Well fellas, it's been a helluva ride. I've pretty much been sheep hunting non stop since the sheep season opened. I spent the month of August helping Matt Snyder of Alaska Hunting Adventures to guide sheep hunters. We had a pretty good year, to put it mildly, helping some fine hunters to take some wonderful old rams.

Then, for the first time in I don't know how long (6 years maybe), I had the opportunity to go on a hunt for myself with my good friends, Matt's folks Frank and Sue. It was a trip of a lifetime for me, not only because we found a great old ram, but more importantly because it was spent with great people that mean the world to me.

Anyway, at some point this fall (likely in November) I will sit down and write up a recap of my sheep season and post some good pictures for you guys to check out. For now though, I am going to try and get back out caribou hunting before I have to head to the Peninsula for brown bear in a week or so.

Here's a little peek at how the year went for me, it has been a season to remember.

Josh

(posted a few more pictures further down the thread)

TOl9nBn.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
Wow factor is pretty legit here, hunting with some absolute mountain legends. I'm assuming you hail from the Nebesna "Ellis" clan?

Congrats man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
adventure907
Wow factor is pretty legit here, hunting with some absolute mountain legends. I'm assuming you hail from the Nebesna "Ellis" clan?

Congrats man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dan....

But nah, I am a free agent. Everybody asks me if I am related to them, but no relation to my knowledge. I hear they are great folks and sheep hunters though, so I don't mind sharing the same name.

Daniel_M

WKR
Thanks Dan....

But nah, I am a free agent. Everybody asks me if I am related to them, but no relation to my knowledge. I hear they are great folks and sheep hunters though, so I don't mind sharing the same name.

I hear yah, get the same question a lot myself asking if I'm related to a rich dentist from Wasilla or the sports center.

OP
adventure907
Looks awesome Josh,
I'll look forward to your write up.
I'm booked with Matt in 2019 if not sooner, can't wait!

Awesome! You picked a great guy to book a hunt with, I look forward to hopefully meeting ya!

Last edited:
OP
adventure907
I've been going through pictures and recuperating from the last hunt where I was fortunate to take a great old ram. I put up a few pictures on Facebook, so I thought I would share here. The hunt recap will have to wait till I have time to sit down and collect my thoughts, but hopefully for now a picture or two will suffice.

YeD7Gg4.jpg

ZMRDYmv.jpg

Ce46psA.jpg

CIgrFiX.jpg

Last edited:
OP
adventure907
Two legends of the sheep mountains enjoying a moment after 40 years of sheep hunting together.

62q8rd7.jpg