2017 Alaska Sheep/Griz hunt with Jeremy and BRWNBR

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks everyone. It was a trip I will likely never duplicate. I'll try my ass off, but probably not gonna happen.

The ram aged 9, and is a little over 36" on the long horn.

Jwatts: You'll enjoy the hell out of hunting with Jake. There is a tradition, though that you should be aware of. Every client must break some piece of his gear. I took out a guy line on his tent. One fellow destroyed his rifle. Just something to keep in mind, and plan for. I'd not do the rifle, but it is up to you.

BRWNBR

WKR
Ha well he fell straight down till he found the “flat”
Country!

Just don’t break his pack.....at least not right away.

Last edited:

jwatts

WKR
Thanks everyone. It was a trip I will likely never duplicate. I'll try my ass off, but probably not gonna happen.

The ram aged 9, and is a little over 36" on the long horn.

Jwatts: You'll enjoy the hell out of hunting with Jake. There is a tradition, though that you should be aware of. Every client must break some piece of his gear. I took out a guy line on his tent. One fellow destroyed his rifle. Just something to keep in mind, and plan for. I'd not do the rifle, but it is up to you.

I will keep that in mind. I have plenty of time to figure out what to break.

Nice write-up! Alaska sure can grab a hold of you! You did more in a week than most guys I know do in their entire time up here. Congrats on a very nice ram, beautiful bear and some tasty fish to take home!

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, that was fantastic.

Love the way you told the story, I was laughing my azz off.

Some really great pictures and congrats on a nice bear and a VERY nice sheep.

Hope you do some more hunts so we can all read about them. :)

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Great trip! Thanks for the write up and photos. Can you comment on your rifle/cartridge/bullet combo? Thanks.

Great story to read, you have a gift for writing an entertaining, but informative story. You shared some great lines with us, but this was definitely the one that made me laugh the hardest.

he is a blunt instrument of spirit destroying angst.

I enjoyed how you set the spirit of the adventure before letting the pictures take over. Thank you for sharing with us, I'm sure like many, after reading about your hunt, the fire in us is to do this, is only burning hotter.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Just re-reading this and noticed I didn't answer the rifle question from bizyrok.

The rifle is one I built on a Ruger M77 Mk2 stainless action. .300 Win Mag, 7.5 lbs all in, 24" X-caliber barrel, Wildcat stock, Swaro 2-10 BRH scope.

My load was a 200gr Barnes LRX at 2990fps. When I built the rifle, I extended the mag box to 3.6" so my COAL is 3.55". Very accurate load in this rifle.

Jeremy

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Man, you kicked Alaska in the arse! Well done.

I know how it goes with the extraction, if you can get it, take it. I had my Dall down and had other tags in my pocket--definitely could've had a Blackie in the salt too. However, after being socked-in for days on the front end and needing to get back for a work conference, we made an early exit.