2017 Alaska Sheep/Griz hunt with Jeremy and BRWNBR

Wapiti1

WKR
Since I am a non-resident of the great state of Alaska, I was forced to find a guide and get him, or her, to agree to take me on a dall sheep and bear odyssey. On another forum, I had become acquainted with the work of Mr. Jake Jefferson, and endeavored to gain his services for said hunt. Being a reputable outfitter, he said something like, if the check clears, you're in. By a stroke of luck, my check cleared and I had booked my hunt. That was in February of 2016, and the waiting, and preparation began.

Fast forward to any random day prior to August 23rd 2017 and you would find me doing one of three things, generally speaking. Annoying my wife with hunt planning. Slacking off at work while hunt planning. Or hiking with heavy pack, or otherwise exercising, while also hunt planning. This summer was a little brutal in the prep respect. 98 degrees, 90% humidity, 75lbs in my pack, heavy mountaineering boots and the need to get in at least 4 miles after work every day possible. There is no possible way to not have your boots eat your feet in this scenario. Oh well, it was for a good cause. By the end, I was a slightly less flabby example of a 40 year old man. A sheep seeking missile, I like to think (and no one else).

At 7am on August 23rd, I boarded the plane and arrived in Anchorage at noon local time. It was raining. I checked into the hotel, had a nice meal that evening, and didn't sleep for a damn that night. At 2:30am I woke up and pretty much stayed that way. Stupid 4 hour time change. A plate of toaster waffles and 4 cups of coffee lifted my spirits until Jake shot me a text around 8am stating the mountains were socked in. No flying today. Everyone says Jake is this great guy. Nope, he is a blunt instrument of spirit destroying angst. Sobbing uncontrollably, I wandered the streets of Anchorage for the rest of the day trying to stay positive. This is all a load of crap, but I'm trying to set the mood. Still, no flight for me.

The next morning came in the same as before. Rain. However, the Talkeetna weather cams looked far better, and I had hope. More of those scrumptious toaster waffles, and 4 cups of coffee were in order. It was an interesting breakfast. About 30 chinese tourists flooded the breakfast nook like spawning salmon. They swept in, depleted the area of all natural resources, and after a very loud man speaking mandarin came in and announced something, they all were swept out the door into what looked like a normal passenger van. They all fit, and off it went. This took only about 15 minutes, and was quite entertaining.

About 11am, Jake, whom I am not sure I should have booked with, texted me that he would be there in a little over an hour and to be ready to go. I was ready to go the day before, but I refrained from noting that. He then said it was an April Fools and we were out again that day. I threatened to tell his mother that he was being mean, and he suggested she taught him to be this way. I doubt that. My bet is his mom is a really nice lady.

Jake arrived on schedule, and we zoomed up to his home to reshuffle the gear. Then it was off to the floatplane service. We loaded, and were off. I got to sit in the co-pilots seat and Jake was relegated to the baggage area. Served him right for being mean to me.

We touched down about 30 minutes later on one of the best looking mountain lakes I have ever seen. It was also full of trout, but no time for that, we had sheep and bear to find.

Goodbye plane. We will, I hope, see you again in 12 days. 12 days. I let that sink in for a second. Normally, we would do 10 for sheep, but I bullied Jake into added a couple extra since I wanted extra time to get a bear as well. One thing that I have learned over the years is that success equals time spent in the mountains. You might get lucky occasionally, but to be consistently successful, you have to put in the time. From here on, I’ll let the photos tell the story, and finish up with a few carefully chosen words at the end. I hope you enjoy.

8iQuAdt.jpg

8iQuAdt.jpg

CJCcvXS.jpg

sTsOduE.jpg

RO4yJfe.jpg

3gReSpE.jpg

sQLxDip.jpg

4ZjGEjY.jpg

Attachments

• P1010057 small.jpg
    P1010057 small.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 132
  • hXLXJP7.jpg
    hXLXJP7.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
We ended the trip much the way it began. At a lake in the Talkeetna Mountains ready to board a plane. Clear waters, a good breeze, one nosey ground squirrel, many memories, and I think a friendship. I took my first bear and first sheep. You don't get another first. Were mine worthy? I read stories of hardship and overcoming harsh issues to get to the prize. Did my hunt have those things? I have no idea. Maybe it did. None of it seemed like a tragic tail of woe to me. I rather enjoyed all of it. Sure I had a heavy pack, but isn't that the point? If you are surprised by this, maybe you shouldn't be sheep hunting? Sure, my feet hurt occasionally, and I got cold and/or wet. It rained every day at some point, snowed a little, and we hid in our tents a few times. We had freeze dried dinners, but smoked salmon for lunch. That was nice even though I had to pack around the heavy food. Jake took the light food, I will swear to it. But, none of it seems like some epic battle. It's hunting in the backcountry. It was a test of will for the most part. Can a person derive enough joy from being there to overcome being uncomfortable, smelly, and tired? At any rate, I am both happy and sad it ended. All good hunts end too soon.

I had fun. Simply put, it was fun. We laughed a lot. I apparently walk closer than Jake was used to. Mostly I just wanted to be able to hear what he was saying. I learned that Jake wants to write a book on bear hunting. One past client was looking forward to coloring in it. Me too.

I took my bear on day 4 and finished with the sheep on day 6. We were able get an extraction the same day which left me with only half of my vacation taken. This would not do. A call for permission from my wife was made and permission was granted. Then I planned to get some fishing in and see the sights. A car was rented, and I holed up in a downtown hotel. They happened to have a couple of chest freezers just for us traveling outdoor types, and everything was on ice by the end of the day.

I said my goodbyes to Jake, and proceeded to enjoy the rest of the trip. Thanks for the great trip Jake!!!

aT1XP6O.jpg

CZ17d6L.jpg

NvjQalT.jpg

8rjmuUV.jpg

nWsO04e.jpg

Ctm7r64.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Very cool story, and I appreciated your humor in telling it. Glad you had such success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwatts

WKR
Great write up. I can't wait to get up there. I head out with Jake in 2019. Maybe he won't be as mean to me.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great hunt. You really did a lot in your time in Alaska - sheep, grizzly, and some great fishing.

A trip of a lifetime.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
That's what you call using your vacation time efficiently.
What an awesome trip. Congrats man!

What age did they say your ram was?

BRWNBR

WKR
Great write up. I can't wait to get up there. I head out with Jake in 2019. Maybe he won't be as mean to me.

If I know Jake, and I think I do 😜, I’m sure he’s gonna be one mean hunting companion! The stories I’ve heard are hard to believe!!