Fight with the Misses: a How To Guide

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Step 1. After some secret planning, get caught making arrangements for your 2018 sheep hunt during what was supposed to be your 10th anniversary trip. Granted I thought I was in the clear after making such a logical argument and securing agreement to advance our anniversary trip by a couple months since we wanted to return to Yosemite and this time earlier so all the waterfalls were flowing with snow melt. In my lovely bride's logical brain my suggestion made complete sense and was almost romantic--but looking back, her brain viewed the motive to accommodate my sheep hunt with less enthusiasm.

Step 2. In quick succession to step 1, talk to Stid about how awesome his 95mm ATX makes his trips, from saving time going after animals that aren't what your really looking for to passing time enjoying the entertainment of other wildlife fund throughout the trip.

Step 3. Talk yourself into the absolute need, i mean must-have, life/death need, for an overly expensive redundant spotter.

Step 4. After taking your 80mm ATS with 25-50 eyepiece to the local Sportsmans Warehouse just to compare side-by-side size and in hand weight comparison of the ATX 65mm and 95mm, and fully documenting the differences with handy iphone pics for reference later in the evening before making final decision and ordering--forget that your iPhone is on wifi which of course then uploads those darn photos to our family's photostream (I.e. The lovely bride's iPad as wel).

So of course after step 4, I field some obvious questions, where I can tell the adult female brain is asking me incriminating questions it absutely already knows the answer to--I smartly recognize it--so start down the path of how she ruined her birthday surprise, but had to ad lib a little as I could tell by her look she recalled the Swaro bino's I gave her the night before we left for this last hunting trip was her early birthday gift--I swiftly dance towards it being a peace offering to cover for Step 1. Still not buying it, I abandon my not so cleverness and admit my true motives of trying to help save her time by ordering my own birthday present. Luckily we are only 3-days apart, and she knows one of my favorite gifts is most often asking for forgiveness for things I should have asked permission.

Long story short--with last year's bear rug coming due within a month, deposit on flight service, deposit on this year's moose shoulder mount and antler mount on last year's moose, the Dakota 300wm that somehow found its way home last month, then spending most of this month happily in the wilds and away from work--I did decide it smart to confirm and share my change of heart that this new 95mm ATX wasn't going to be a redundant spotter after all, and that I would part with my current glass once the new me arrives.

Also decided maybe it wasn't the right time yet to tell her how easily I could convert it to a super sleek packable 65mm version by the other objective that I will clearly convince myself is a absolute must have just before next year's sheep hunt. As I type this, thinking maybe if I have her carry it most of our summer hikes, then maybe casually show her the 65mm in passing one day, she'll come to the notion herself and sell me on the idea? I could happen.

Last edited:
OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and Stid, if you get a PM from her or she tracks you down through tweeter or facebooks or whatever--show her sheep and high def wilderness photos. She loves those and should buy you a little escape time. I didn't blame you for everything--just the 95mm ATX.

While she might be miffed at you, she's more dissapointed in me. I'm such a sweet, innocent, and typically strong willed guy to have so quickly succumbed to the obviously poor influence of those around me.

Stid2677

WKR
Oh, and Stid, if you get a PM from her or she tracks you down through tweeter or facebooks or whatever--show her sheep and high def wilderness photos. She loves those and should buy you a little escape time. I didn't blame you for everything--just the 95mm ATX.

While she might be miffed at you, she's more dissapointed in me. I'm such a sweet, innocent, and typically strong willed guy to have so quickly succumbed to the obviously poor influence of those around me.

I'm an admitted bad influence, that is why Becca won't let Luke and I play much. :)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
This was a class act read. Thank you for sharing. So true. You need to be writing books sir. Kept me entertained through the entire story lmao. Love to have you in my hunt camp anytime. Truly good stuff.

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
All kidding aside--unless you want to haul an overly large chunk of green plastic/metal/and glass around on all your fun adventures--do yourself a real favor--and I am not kidding--DO NOT LOOK through it. And if you ignore this, at the very least, do not look through it and then the 65mm and whatever piece of glass you already own.

I went to see just how much more compact the ATX 65mm was from my 80 ATS as I had already talked myself into the 65mm--and with thoughtful advice from Stid planned to check into the 1.7 doubler. It was all going just as planned till I asked to set the 95mm beside my 80mm. And while I have long missed the size of my old 65mm compared to the 80mm, all the sudden the 95mm seems petite since it was just a little bit bigger. Now with my interest piqued I had to ask to loo through it--I mean what could another 10x really mean anyway? Nothing, right? Till I zoomed in on the little 1"x2" square sales tags on the peg board all the way across the store, and could clearly read the darn tiny numbers under the bar code even in the hard shadow cast by the item hanging above it. Figured it had to be something with the lighting that made it jump out so much and easily read. So hit it with my 80mm and the eyepiece zoomed to 50x. Clear as I would expect, could still make most of them out, but compared again--an that was it, the need word creeped into my head. I did the same view with the 65x and it to was nice, but I to the hard shadow and loss of 10x made my decision clear. Easier to go big now, enjoy and carry it for a year--and if I find myself overly concerned about the size/weight, much easier to convince myself to add the 65mm bjective than other way around.

I'm really one that is quite happy with my old quality rifle scopes vs new and improved, and honesty couldn't tell much between my old non-HD spotter and my newer HD version. Once you get so far, the new and improved really passes a point of deminsihing returns. But every once in a while I need t keep an open mind and check out some of the not so brand new options--they'll surprise you. Thank you Stid.

Here are the 95 beside my 80. While a little unfair since the 80 looks a little bulkier due to the case, it shows there is a difference, but not much in comparison t the difference you gain in view.

IMG_7457.jpgIMG_7465.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
The 65mm really is a dainty little girl though. One thing I would note just to have in your head if using the 65, its eyepiece heavy. That's why the gent is having to hold it while I snap a picture. My 80 and the 95, balance perfectly on their foot, whereas the little 65 objective is just too light to offset the weight of the eyepiece. So if not holding it, it sits back on the bend of the eyepiece. Not a big deal at all, especially with a well positioned tripod, but should recognize so you know to expect it's desire to it back if given the right circumstance.

IMG_7463.jpg

kaboku68

WKR
I very much prefer the girlfriend or wife to be along if you are looking at Swaro. I have a simple explanation. Optics give you the opportunity to be a better hunter and be more successful. A hunter with a ruger american rifle and a tasco scope with the best spotter and binoculars will see a moose/sheep/caribou/grizzly before the guy with a 60,000 thunderjet or 100,000 cub. They can be the difference between wonderful tasting backstraps and tag soup. Also look at the doubler. It makes the 65ATX into a sheep hunting beast.

Stid2677

WKR
Great write up and now I might have to rethink my glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are near Fairbanks I have both Swaro ATX 95mm and a ATM 65 25x50 you could look through. If you don't want to buy a new truck,, don't test drive any. :)

fatbacks

WKR
If you are near Fairbanks I have both Swaro ATX 95mm and a ATM 65 25x50 you could look through. If you don't want to buy a new truck,, don't test drive any. :)

Haha! Yep in Fairbanks. If for sure be curious but I have a meeting with someone who is building my new sheep rifle later today. I’m afraid that will deplete the budget for hunting gear for the year. Oh yeah, then I also have taxidermy and fly out deposits for 2018... maybe I could write another chapter to wild wills how to guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
I had both the 85 and 95 for my ATX and in the end kept the 95. I don't even hunt anything I need a scope for but I just enjoy the views while out hunting. It's a beast to carry though. If you enjoy time behind a scope the ATX is pure pleasure !

HAHA I got a kick out of this post. If for any reason however you need any advice on Yosemite me and my lovely bride spent our honeymoon there the first 7 or 8 days of June this year, for the exact reason of seeing the AMAZING waterfalls and epic scenery. In fact our visit happened to coincide with Alex Honnold's free climb of El Cap. Everything was perfect and we would be happy to share anything you might need or want to know. Did quite a few day hikes and other trips around the area, including a side trip to Kings Canyon national park. Anyway let me know if you need anything. Good luck with the make up!

ALW

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Ive gotten that look a few times over the last year.

New scope for new rifle - How many of those things does one man need?
New spotter - Don't you already have one of those?
New tripod - Same question same answer.
New boots - Honey outfitter says it might be really cold!
A couple of new clothing items - Same question same answer
New altimeter
New range finder - I don't think she's noticed this one.

Today is the day! Kyrgyzstan here we come!!!!!!

tuffcity

WKR
I found away to stay out of those kinds of never win fights...

Bought a new sako with a swaro.... for the Mrs.
Bought a new pair of high end bino's... for the Mrs.
Buying a new pack... for the Mrs.
Bought a new set of hunting outer wear... for the Mrs.

All I can say its a good thing I'm a lot bigger than she is or I'd be relegated to "hand me downs" for gear! But the best part about buying new gear (for the Mrs) is that at least she gets out and uses it and the only disagreement is how long of a trip do we do. (Just because I get more vacation time than she does..ha!)

RC

Stid2677

WKR
Met some members out at the range and set up a few spotters,, was nice chatting with you guys.

UmdOYQhh.jpg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Classic. Your wife pays a LOT more attention than mine; I've gone with the "get enough so she can't possibly keep track" plan. But it's only about 1/3 of what I actually NEED so I know exactly what is what ;)

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Step 5: Despite her scoffing, try and play it off, seriously, as this is your gift!
86TNtoc.jpg

Since it arrived late yesterday, and being the super awesome and loving husband I am, figured I would stop in the store and grab her some flowers to wake up to in the morning on my way home from the gym. And stage her gift, complete with card and balloon even. Got a sincere thanks for the flowers and balloon, but a "it wasn't that f'n funny" in relation to her gift.