Any Members Offering Sheep Hunts

I’m new to sheep hunting but not to hunting or to mountain hunting.

I am looking to book a sheep hunt for the 2018 or 2019 season. I am unbiased on species as ultimately I would like to hunt for them all at some point. Archery is preferred but not a requirement. Obviously I would prefer to keep cost as low as practical.

So where and which species do I start with? Any outfitters on here offering sheep hunts? Recommendations from the group?

My personal email is [email protected] if needed.

Clayton

BRWNBR

WKR
I do guided Sheep hunts but am booked out until 2021. Adventure907 knows some
Sheep guides as well.

oenanthe

WKR
No kidding? Booked until 2021? That's very impressive, and quite a testament to your reputation! (Well-deserved IMO)

OP
C
That’s quite a backlog! Thank you for the heads up on the other individual I will reach out to them.

Snyd

WKR
I think you will find most Alaska guides are booked out for years. Alaska sells an unlimited number of non-resident sheep tags so the line of hunters is long. Plus, the state makes you hire a guide unless you have a second degree of kindred relative that is a resident.

Guide outfits that can book you in the next year or two most likely run several Assistant guides therefore can run more hunters each year. Assistant guides may or may not know what they are doing. You might get one that's never guided a sheep hunt or have less mountain hunting experience than you.

I'd book with Jake (BRWNBR) if it were me. Or, if you just can't wait, find a guide that actually guides you like Jake does. For the kind $$ you are going to spend I'd not take that chance on an inexperienced Assistant guide. Especially for a bow hunt. You don't want to end up with some college kid from "Somewhere USA" that is learning how to sheep hunt as your guide. My .02

Probably cheaper to move to Alaska, get your 1 year residency and guide yourself. Heck you never know, once you are here you might find you like it. :)

OP
C
Alaska would be a nice change from Texas , maybe one day.

Thank you for the advice on waiting for the right guide , no objection to that logic.

Brendan

WKR
What kind of sheep, and what's your budget?

Aoudad/Barbary in the Southwest might be the cheapest (other than the Montana Unlimiteds, but people hunt those for years without seeing a Ram...). Dalls in AK is probably $20K+ (All-In). Bighorns, Desert Bighorns, Stones - Probably $40-$50K and up?

Snyd

WKR
Got it, I'll be in touch Clayton.

If anybody else happens to be interested in hunting either the Tok or Chugach, let me know. I can help and maybe point you in the right direction.

Josh

I could use some help drawing TMA this year :D