300 win vs 25-06

amp713

WKR
Was going to go play around and look for a coyote, grabbed a box of Hornady superformance for my 25-06 and a box of Hornady custom for my 300 win mag while I debated which gun to take. Though the grains are different I realized the basic ballistics printed on the box are nearly identical. Within 10 FPS barrel velocity and 2" of drop at 500 yards.

I've been wanting to pursue a big horn and this really got me.curuous what caliber would be best for such a hunt.

I have killed 4 elk with the 25-06 since inheriting it, and I almost exclusively hunt with archery equipment so that's more than it seems. It was a gun my dad bought at 18 and traded to my grandpa for a 7mm mag later on.

The 300 I traded a set of jeep wheels and tires for and I've yet to put a box of rounds through it.

Obviously if I was walking into a hunt tomorrow I'd take the gun I'm comfortable with but this being more of a hypothetical "who knows when I'll get a chance at a sheep" question...

Which caliber is more ideal? Or is there something more preferred between the guys commonly getting it done?

Afhunter1

WKR
Not a bad choice in either but I'm partial to a 25-06 personally. A 110 accubond is what I'd use to do the task. My 25-06 with 7828ssc I get 3300 from a 24" tube. Unless it is very windy or in grizzly country then I take the 300. I'd still take the 25-06 in grizzly country as long as your not the slowest guy in the hunting party or you have a guide. Good luck!

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Elk are pretty tenacious critters and a big bull is much larger than a big bighorn. I think you already the answer - enjoy!

If you get a bighorn tag in the lower 48, you should use your bow since you mostly archery hunt anyhow... Who knows if you'll get a chance, let alone two...

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I've definitely thought that myself Nick but I just feel like if I've got a tag like that I shouldn't limit myself to under 100 yard shots.

Jimss

WKR
The toughest part about sheep hunting is drawing a tag! Most states draw odds are less than 1%. If you want to up your odds of drawing you may want to apply for archery. With that said, sheep are somewhat "wimpy" critters. They don't tend to take a pounding and keep on going like mtn goat. My weapon of choice would be the flattest shooting rifle that you have the most experience and faith with. With that said I've taken a handful of rams with a 300 WSM. Mine is a Sako Finnlight. It's really nice for packing around the hills a lighter rifle! My shots have been from 50 to 200 yards. Good luck drawing a tag!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
As many have pointed out, it doesn't take a big bullet to kill sheep. What influenced my choice was the other critters (Chiefly Brown Bears) that live in sheep country. In Alaska I liked having a .30 cal + bullet in my sheep gun. It wasn't needed to drop a ram, but I felt better carrying it in bear country. :)

Long ago, far far away, I purchased a shotgun from a ADF&G employee who held a FFL and was an avid sheep hunter. My gun arrived and I drove over to his house to do the paperwork and pick it up. In his large entertainment room were his sheep rifles, propped up against the walls, dozens of them. The majority were 25-06, a distant second 270's and a smattering of other calibers.

In this day-and-age, many feel that if it ain't a magnum, you are under gunned. Yes, with a decent placed shot, sheep will tip right over- not so well placed, the rodeo can be more than most desire, like most other critters. A well placed bullet of any flavor, will trump a poorly placed magnum more times than not. Use what you shoot best and don't look back.

HUNTSHEEP

FNG
I've seen my UL 25-06ai hammer quite a few desert sheep in the last few years so i would say its a great way to go... The over all weight of a rifle is pretty important on a sheep hunt dew to some times the strenious hikes you might go on.

Sheep will fold like potato chips. I'd use that 25-06 without a second thought. Good luck in the future draws! Arrow or bullet, when you walk up on a bighorn, lift him up, all you can saw is WOW.