Best chance at non res bighorn

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I know this has prob been asked a hundred times here, but what state would a non res like myself have the best chance of drawing?
I’d like to start buying points for the possibility of drawing before I retire. I’m 40 now which I know is kinda late in the game, but what the hell right?!
Right now, I’m focused on becoming a Elk “harvester”, but I have a dream of one day going on a backcountry Bighorn Sheep hunt, and I will... even if it’s just shooting with a camera! But it’d be even cooler if I had a tag!

wyosteve

WKR
I think Wyoming is the best chance, primarily because we give out the most tags and even with low preference points, you have a chance each year in the random draw.

How many sheep live outside the wilderness areas. I don't know this answer but if I am DIY and can only apply for 1 or 2 of Wyoming areas then my odds just went way down.

Again I don't know it is just something to think about before you start a 10 20 or 30 year process.

Kimbersig

WKR
thats a tough question....none of them are good odds for a NR. they are all <1% I would recommend applying for every state you can afford to apply for. thats typically the hang up for most people. I apply for most of the western states and my out of pocket non refundable cost to apply in those states for sheep is over $1000 a year. its a gamble as you might get super lucky and draw a tag quickly in a random pool or you could apply for 20-30 years and never draw. if sheep hunting is truly a dream i would look at selling stuff, saving, and working hard to save and go on a dall sheep hunt. thats what i did last year....then i got lucky and drew a rocky tag in my home state of ID and killed my Rocky this year. Good luck.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm in about the same boat as you, except I started at 44. I basically put in for about every state now, and hopefully one of them will pay out for me in 20-25 years. My goal is to keep myself in good enough physical condition that I can actually still enjoy such a physically demanding hunt at age 65 or greater!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
Not many sheep live outside of Wyo. wilderness areas, so yes, if you want a DIY, Wyo. is not better and may be worse than other states as far as drawing odds go.

Trial153

WKR
The all suck. Your best bet is just put in any state the awards tags via a fully random draw or a percentage of the tags are random like WY. There is no catching up at this point.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Odd are horrible. Best chance to draw a ram tag:

1. Colorado (archery)
2. Idaho (no point system)
3. Wyoming (you have NO chance EVER at 75% of the tags but there as 25% in units 1-5 that are random)

If you don’t care about a ram, MT ewe only is decent odds and when my kids are out of college in 4 years, I will use my 20+ MT points on a ewe tag if I have not got the lottery on a ram. And as mentioned, the most difficult hunt in the lower 48, the unlimiteds in MT you could be a sheep hunter every year...

Kimbersig

WKR
have you thought about applying for Ewe in NV? with 20 points i don't think i could burn them on a ewe!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
have you thought about applying for Ewe in NV? with 20 points i don't think i could burn them on a ewe!

In all reality, 20 points in Montana is not much better than zero. I have not thought about it in Nevada, as that is a Desert Sheep state. I have a load of sheep points in Nevada. Unless I can accumulate ewe points and ram points there I will not use my Nevada points on a ewe. I will have to take a closer look. I’ve hunted bighorns in Colorado and I have enough preference points in Wyoming I will hunts rams again there so Montana ewe is just another way to hunt sheep for me. Drawing a MT ram tag for a NR is a pipe dream. There are many residents who have been applying for 50 years that have not drawn.

WRO

WKR
Oregon is random on sheep as well, it'll cost you a 120.00 to apply, but it's worth it as the non res Cali odds depending on the hunt are like 1 in 150 or less.

Plus you can apply for premium tags which are also random for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kimbersig

WKR
In all reality, 20 points in Montana is not much better than zero. I have not thought about it in Nevada, as that is a Desert Sheep state. I have a load of sheep points in Nevada. Unless I can accumulate ewe points and ram points there I will not use my Nevada points on a ewe. I will have to take a closer look. I’ve hunted bighorns in Colorado and I have enough preference points in Wyoming I will hunts rams again there so Montana ewe is just another way to hunt sheep for me. Drawing a MT ram tag for a NR is a pipe dream. There are many residents who have been applying for 50 years that have not drawn.

FYI as of this year Ewe points are separate from ram points in NV. I agree 20 isn't much different than zero in MT. i only have 3 and plan on burning them for a ewe in the Missouri Breaks so i can see those rams starting next year as i just got my ram in ID.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
FYI as of this year Ewe points are separate from ram points in NV. I agree 20 isn't much different than zero in MT. i only have 3 and plan on burning them for a ewe in the Missouri Breaks so i can see those rams starting next year as i just got my ram in ID.

That is GREAT news. But as usual I am a point behind :-(

I will add that to the repitoire next year for sure. I’ll take a Desert ewe no problem. I love to sheep hunt just can’t afford it.

Jimss

WKR
1) Talk a relative into moving to Alaska or move there yourself! 2) Hunt Montana unlimited every year until you die! 3) Hunt poorman's sheep...aoudad in TX or NM every year. 4) Apply in Wyo and pay $100+/year to apply and never draw in your lifetime!

Colorado archery has to be up there for best odds. In my opinion, there is sheep hunting, then there is hunting sheep. Huge difference between hunting rams vs ewes.