Best chance at non res bighorn

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
If want a ewe, can draw in CO as second choice if apply for a few years so does not burn your ram points. Tag is over $2000, though.

Can go to NM and chase free-range barbary aka aoudad sheep. Mature barbary rams have horns as big as most bighorn rams you would shoot. Isa tougher hunt than bighorns by a factor of around 10x. Bighorn sheep are not hard to kill with a rifle. The hard part is drawing the dang tag.

Mountain goat is more challenging that bighorn sheep. Well, unless are hunting goats where hikers feed them granola and whiz on the ground which attracts the salt-craving goats.

If you apply as a NR for bighorns in OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, NV, NM, AZ and TX then after about 25 years you can expect are still only at 50% odds of drawing a ram tag unless go for MT Unlimited or CO archery. Heck, bighorn herds are shrinking out West and residents are always looking to get a bigger bucket of ram tags for them and not NR but want the NR to pay a relatively bigger share of fees. If you want to be treated fairly as apply for a NR ram tag then you are going to get frustrated a lot over your application career.

Elaborate please.

To the point, ewes just don't have the stature of a ram. Not even close. People say they love sheep hunting for many different reasons, but one of the top reasons would be to hold those heavy horns in your hand at the end of a hunt. If that weren't the case, an alpine Mule Deer hunt will give you all that a sheep hunt will give you. Also to re-hash my point, there are NR ewe tags available but hardly ever drawn. Why is that? Horns! The hunt can be a lot different depending on the place as well. You will normally be dealing with large family groups so depending on the area, they can be tough to get close to but at the same time, they can be quiet approachable. For me, hunting ewes and doe antelope have a lot in common.

My opinion on drawing a sheep tag is. Apply for every state you can afford. And I hope you have lots of patience and luck. I have been applying for bighorns for 20 plus years in six different states. It seems futile looking at the odds of drawing a non-resident tag. In 2015 I drew a non-resident ram tag in Montana. And this year a non-resident Nevada desert ram tag. So it can happen, just don't give up. It can be fun to try to analyze drawing odds. But, for most states it's just plain luck.

Krm140

FNG
I know this has prob been asked a hundred times here, but what state would a non res like myself have the best chance of drawing?
I’d like to start buying points for the possibility of drawing before I retire. I’m 40 now which I know is kinda late in the game, but what the hell right?!
Right now, I’m focused on becoming a Elk “harvester”, but I have a dream of one day going on a backcountry Bighorn Sheep hunt, and I will... even if it’s just shooting with a camera! But it’d be even cooler if I had a tag!
How old do you think the average above average guy could do a sheep hunt? I started point game late in life. 38 for elk (going on 1st elk hunt in Montana this year! Super pumped) I wanted to start young but never had enough money. Didn't apply for any sheep thinking I never be in physical condition to go by time I draw on. Figured maybe apply for no points states. I did apply for ram points in Nevada this year but you can do it cheap after buying license. I want to bad in Wyoming but idk if I can justify $150/year for foreseeable future with slight chance of ever drawing. But can't win if you don't play I guess. I'd love to here everyone's thoughts on this and any info on odds of drawing Wyoming tag in 25 yrs starting to apply this year. Thanks everyone

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Apply in states with solid random draws... Make sure you apply for units that are eligible for a random tag non resident.

2 years ago I hit the jackpot and drew a random in Wyoming. Look at units with lower non res applications.. Sometimes the wilderness units get less apps due to requiring a guide. You have to take advantage of every little opportunity to increase your odds. Good luck, someone has to win!

Elkmagnet

FNG
You could come to Oregon and just buy the statewide auction tag. Be prepared to spend $80-$200K depending on the year.