sheep rifle ?

Well, I am going through sheep hunting withdrawals. It is a problem. I know it is a little off topic, but I thought I'd add a picture to this thread to spice it up a little. Only 8 or so months to go!!!!
5jDapkN.jpg

Hard to tell looking at it on my phone but the third one in from the left looks like it might be a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have Montana Rifle Co. custom build our rifles...Brian just got back from Alaska on a combo hunt. Him and other members of our company have taken Dall sheep among all the other animals across the globe. Our rifles are built for the elements of hunting the world....but then again, they are used for every N. American animal....but it's their main hunting rifle that they know how and where that bullet is going to hit!! So if you have the time to get a new rifle dialed in and you become proficient with it, then do it. I just received mine in a 7mm Mag, and can't wait to make it a part of me. You can't go wrong with Montana's....they shoot and perform even in the worst elements!!
1e6a2469e9dc60d1ba2b65dc205185cb.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I’ve carried a tikka .300 WSM on plenty of sheep hunts. This year I was sick of the weight and length. Got a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM. One of the things I am most excited about is the short barrel coming in at 18”. Having bush whacked through tons of alder with a longer barrel, I think a short barrel will be super convenient and one of the best aspects of the gun.

Here she is - will not be taking the bipod. All in at about $1700. All new or like new off rokslide classifieds.

f6ee1a74272df5e14ca99b6761e5c041.jpg

Nice, I got the same rifle in the same cartridge. I also have that rifle in .308 I need to sell....brand new in box.

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve been guiding almost 20 years, seen a lot of different guns in a lot of different conditions. A lot of shots fired. A lot of sliding down mountains and using a rifle for a walking stick, dropped packs with rifles strapped on them etc. only one brand of rifle have I seen regularly have mechanical issues. Every now and then there’s a feeding issues with all of them depending on how the operator did his loads or cycles the bolt, that’s not brand issues. But the browning bar is by the far the least consistent rifle
I’ve seen used in the field for mechanical issues.
But....the most common rifle in the field to jam. Short mags. Can’t tell you how many guys have said “oh I’ve used this rifle a pile and she’s never jammed!!” Then later in the hunt they say stuff like “I don’t know what happened, it’s always fed well”

Alaska happened my friend.

So whatever my years of experience are worth, maybe nothing as all guns have a chance to fail at some point, but reliably letting clients down in the field has been browning bar and short mags.

frankrb3

WKR
I’ve carried a tikka .300 WSM on plenty of sheep hunts. This year I was sick of the weight and length. Got a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM. One of the things I am most excited about is the short barrel coming in at 18”. Having bush whacked through tons of alder with a longer barrel, I think a short barrel will be super convenient and one of the best aspects of the gun.

Here she is - will not be taking the bipod. All in at about $1700. All new or like new off rokslide classifieds.

f6ee1a74272df5e14ca99b6761e5c041.jpg

That rifle is sick. I want that setup in .308

Snyd

WKR
If I was anywhere near an FFL, Id buy it. oh well.

When ya flying in to Anchor Town next? ;)

If you guys are both in AK there is no need for an FFL. Luke can mail the gun to you directly if he wants that is.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you guys are both in AK there is no need for an FFL. Luke can mail the gun to you directly if he wants that is.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Thats interesting.

Snyd

WKR
Thats interesting.

Yup, we need to know what our rights are under the law.

You can also ship a handgun but you cannot use USPS. It has to go "common carrier" UPS or FedEx, and you have to play by their rules which means the price goes up.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

Jimss

WKR
I agree with brnbr's post above. The only problem with short mags is they are more likely to jam. My 300 WSM barely kicks and sweet shooter. The only thing I don't like is the shell is so short and stubby it is prone to jamming. I've gotten to the point that I only load 1 shell at a time and have a 2nd shell ready in case I miss. With that said, 99% of the time I only need one shell because I don't shoot unless I am confident the critter is hitting the ground.

Jdog

WKR
I just got this lil thumper in 6.5 apollo creed.

20" barrel, 5.5 lbs etc.

$700

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpg
    IMG_3610.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 148

Bones

WKR
Jdog, what make is your 6.5 that you just picked up for $700?

Sandman

FNG
In regards to the original post about whether or not to buy a new rifle for your hunt. Consider also that Alaska is often very wet! I've been on sheep hunts where it has rained a majority of the time. If your rifles are blued with no coating on them, the weather and terrain can take a toll on them. My partner's blued .270 that he's had since he was a kid left the field looking very different than it did when it entered. Despite nightly drying and oiling, all the metal on his rifle got severely rusted. My Mountain Ascent with it's coated and stainless barrel and action even got a few spots on it. I've gotten a few scratches on my synthetic stock by having to use rocks to help build a rest (too steep for my pack to stay put). If you treasure those rifles and don't want them to be blemished any more than they are, buy a new (USED) rifle -- there's a .270 Montana in the Classified right now. If you don't mind adding some character to them and imprinting your dream Alaska Dall's Sheep hunt on them, then pack one of them in with you!

ANY weight you can drop off your body and your gear, will only help you. I have a pretty dialed in system, and still am always looking for ways to get lighter. If you are interested in Kimbers, I recommend them highly! I own three: two Montanas in .243 and .325, and a Mountain Ascent in .280AI -- all three are sub MOA with factory rounds and even better with handloads. Best of luck to you this fall!

Last edited:
OP
H

handwerk

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys, I worked on my .270 fwt a bit more and got it down to 7.25 lbs. scoped which I think will be a good balance between weight and shootability. It has been cerakoted and sits in a mcm edge stock so it's ready as can be for nasty weather.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the input guys, I worked on my .270 fwt a bit more and got it down to 7.25 lbs. scoped which I think will be a good balance between weight and shootability. It has been cerakoted and sits in a mcm edge stock so it's ready as can be for nasty weather.
How did it go, and what is your advice to others now around rifle weight?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34