ice ax and crampons

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to hunt the Alaska range next year. Wondering if an ice ax or crampons are worth the weight. I've used them before goat hunting and needed them. Never been in the alaska range.

Aaron

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s going to really depend on where you are going, the Alaska Rand is huge :) if you will be on or near glaciers at all I would probably say yes, though I have done a number of sheep hunts in the AK range where I didn’t need them. Crampons are cheap insurance if the footing is slick, and this is from someone who once skipped them and ended up with a broken leg :)

I don’t personally use an ice axe, but lots of people like them. I rely on trekking poles in most types of terrain so that’s what I would take.

BRWNBR

WKR
Walking axe. SMC Capra 100cm. Best money you will ever spend for a hiking tool. I’ve seen trekking poles fold in half and that’s never a good thing. The versatility of a walking axe is amazing. First time I saw a guy with one I laughed and asked where the glacier was. He said use it once and you’ll never be without it again. Hahaha I said. I now have almost worn out two of them in the last ten years and can’t imagine life without them. If you need me to go on and on about their versatility and uses I will be. That will make my thumbs tired.

BRWNBR

WKR
a08110d0daf891dbac12610f63460047.jpg
1ad7fb90459691f4d474e5f8bb79232f.jpg
ce3a1dc18b0bbbfa63fd7b39105245cf.jpg
ff8076824e3d6fc562fa2fa52f7b127c.jpg

A few from over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
BRWNBR, great pics..

I picked up one of these not to long ago, but have not had a chance to fully test it yet. Do you ever miss having two poles vs. the one axe? Do you ever take one trekking pole along with the axe? You pics seem to indicate you just use the axe and totally dumped the poles, but I wanted to confirm. ???

Link for those who are looking:
100cm Ice Axe

To OP. Very rare to "need" an ice axe or crampons in the AK Range in my experience. Most AK Range hunts don't involve ice, although this year I actually crossed a glacier three times and still never needed them. The guys using axes are typically using them as walking tools rather than self arrest tools. Handy for that, but not required.

Assume you are using a guide, in which case if you need such tools he can set you up. Sheep is typically done on milder terrain and earlier in the year than goat, and while those tools have saved my butt on goat hunts, I wouldn't normally carry them sheep hunting unless perhaps very late in the season or in very specific areas.

BRWNBR

WKR
I do not use a trekking pole at all. Sometimes I take both axes with me. They are just great to have, even on mild terrain they can really be a huge help with balancing a load and helping with step ups. If I’m carrying a spike camp, or a heavy pack. I will have at least one of my axes. I have used them for self arresting on falls before.
Great for:
Digging a tent site. Removing rocks, flattening an area.
Tent stake
Tarp pole
Backpack stand
Reaching up to grab
Lowering down to help someone else up
I have stabbed them into hills for clients to use at foot pegs to step on
There are no latches so they don’t get caught if your using them in rocky areas
No latches so they never slip while you have weight on them
Kill small animals with them
Stronger than a trekking pole
Self arresting on a fall
Great shooting rest
Making water holes if all you have is a trickle
Takes the weight off going down hill/resting
Helps take weight off when climbing
Sturdy third point of contact

I’d be surprised if many guys that don’t use them in the mountains have ever used them before. I woulda never used one. Thought it was dumb. I’d rather forget my sleeping pad now.

JP100

WKR
I do not use a trekking pole at all. Sometimes I take both axes with me. They are just great to have, even on mild terrain they can really be a huge help with balancing a load and helping with step ups. If I’m carrying a spike camp, or a heavy pack. I will have at least one of my axes. I have used them for self arresting on falls before.
Great for:
Tent stake
Tarp pole
Backpack stand
Reaching up to grab
Self arresting on a fall
Great shooting rest

I’d be surprised if many guys that don’t use them in the mountains have ever used them before. I woulda never used one. Thought it was dumb. I’d rather forget my sleeping pad now.

+100!

Im with BRWNBR on this. Poles are great, but an axe is 1000 times better in all situations. Ive seen heaps of poles break, never seen an axe break. Regardless of ice they are a great self arrest tool on slick grass slopes.
If in doubt take and axe and leave crampons at home. You can cut steps if you have to.
Micro spikes or insteps crampons are also a good half way to full crampons and alot lighter.

https://journalofmountainhunting.com/2016/12/why-i-dont-use-trekking-poles-by-joseph-pete/

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve never weighed one to be honest. Never cared I suppose.
I use instep crampons on Kodiak for snot grass or ice if I’m around it. But I don’t ever take them on Sheep hunts.

FlyGuy

WKR
Great for:
Tent stake
Tarp pole
Backpack stand
Reaching up to grab
Self arresting on a fall
Great shooting rest

I've been wanting to try one of these. Primarily I want it for leveling my sleeping area. I am apparently the worst ever at choosing tent sites and then don't sleep well. I also would like it for digging a quick trench on the up-slope side of my floorless to divert water from any heavy rain storms.

Currently I keep a pair of poles in my bag but don't often deploy them while hunting as I like to keep my bow in my hand. I don't think that I would like the 100cm version b/c I would have to carry it in hand, but a good quality collapsible one might be the ticket. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
I wouldn’t ever use a collapsible one. Mine fit right on the side of my pack with no issue. But I think petzel made a telescopic one? A trekking pole/axe combo

Walking axe. SMC Capra 100cm. Best money you will ever spend for a hiking tool. I’ve seen trekking poles fold in half and that’s never a good thing. The versatility of a walking axe is amazing. First time I saw a guy with one I laughed and asked where the glacier was. He said use it once and you’ll never be without it again. Hahaha I said. I now have almost worn out two of them in the last ten years and can’t imagine life without them. If you need me to go on and on about their versatility and uses I will be. That will make my thumbs tired.
Okay, you got me convinced, I need an ice axe. After reading your comments and doing a little more research online I've decided to ask Santa for one of those 100cm axes. Seeing all the ways they can be used and thinking of the many different times/ways I could have used one, I'm sure that it will come in very handy. My only hang up is that I'm constantly trying to get my pack wt. down and one of the ways I've accomplished this is by having multiple uses for some of the things that I carry. I can see the axe replacing my trekking poles for hiking around, but I also use my poles for my solo shelters (in an A-frame configuration), so I guess the axe will just be an additional piece of gear along with my trekking poles. Oh, well.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
16.08 ounces according to here LINK
The website is lacking a bit... 16.08 oz refers to the 65cm version. They need to update it, or least that is the way it comes across on my end...

QUOTE:
One of the lightest weight axes in this category, the 65cm version tips the scale at a mere 16.08 ounces. Among the other more notable features of the Capra is the head and handle; both are completely new designs from SMC. The head fits more naturally into the user’s hand helping to minimize the discomfort often associated with using a mountaineering axe for extended periods on time. While the overall weight of this axe is remarkably light, the axe features a full sized chromoly steel head and spike, not ones that were chopped off to save weight. The unique handle is designed to be easier to index in hand for surer placement in self-arrest. Great balance and swing weight are hallmarks of this new axe. Every part of the Capra is an entirely new design and not only is it one of the most advanced axes on the market; it is manufactured entirely at the SMC factory in Ferndale, WA

BRWNBR

WKR
My axe never goes in my pack. It can but it’s always in my hand. The added weight of the axe more than helps with whatever weight my pack is. It may add weight overall, but it makes the weight you have seem less or more bearable. Make sense?