2017 Nevada Desert Bighorn

UB270

FNG
Here's the desert bighorn I killed this year in Nevada. I've been trying to draw a sheep tag since I was 18 years old. And at 61 I figured it would never happen. Being a non resident, Nevada has been better to me than my home state of Washington. Much to my surprise come June I could'nt believe my eyes. My name in the sucessful colum desert bighorn. I also drew a antelope tag. Thinking maybe I could antelope hunt and have time to head south and do a scouting trip for sheep, there just was'nt enough time with my busy work schedule. I thought it would be best to hire a guide since this may be my only opportunity in my lifetime to hunt sheep. After talking to several guides I settled on Nevada Guide Service. Being my first ever guided hunt I checked out their referals and felt good about my choice. My son Travis would be joining me on the hunt and we could hardly wait for November. We chose to hunt the second week allowing us to spend time with our family over Thanksgiving. Arriving at camp on the 28th around noon we met with our guide Seth who had a ram spotted he thought I needed to check out. After a long drive we met up with our other guide Jason who had been keeping eyes on the sheep. After looking through the spotter I agreed it was a beautiful ram, but passed as I had not waited this long to hunt sheep and have it over the first afternoon. The next morning Travis and Jason headed south while Seth and I went north. The morning was spent with Seth and I looking over dozens of sheep with a handful of nice rams. We got a call from Jason saying they had a ram they thought we needed to look at. After driving many miles south we met up only to find out the ram had disappeared into one of the many folds of the rugged terrain. Glassing up several other sheep we decide to split up again and glass our way back towards camp. After a few spots and several more sheep spotted. We stopped at one last place before camp. Right away Seth spotted a group of young rams. Looking more to the south I spotted a couple of ewes. Telling Seth were they were he got excited and said look what's bedded bewteen those two. Right away I knew this was a ram I'd be thrilled to take. Wanting my son to be there we called and told them we'd found the one. After a short stalk and a steep uphill 350 yard shot, my dream of taking a sheep had finally can true. Many thanks to Travis , Seth and Jason . I could'nt have had better hunting partners to share this experiance with.

Attachments

• 20171129_165743.jpg
    20171129_165743.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG957267.jpg
    IMG957267.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the desert bighorn I killed this year in Nevada. I've been trying to draw a sheep tag since I was 18 years old. And at 61 I figured it would never happen. Being a non resident, Nevada has been better to me than my home state of Washington. Much to my surprise come June I could'nt believe my eyes. My name in the sucessful colum desert bighorn. I also drew a antelope tag. Thinking maybe I could antelope hunt and have time to head south and do a scouting trip for sheep, there just was'nt enough time with my busy work schedule. I thought it would be best to hire a guide since this may be my only opportunity in my lifetime to hunt sheep. After talking to several guides I settled on Nevada Guide Service. Being my first ever guided hunt I checked out their referals and felt good about my choice. My son Travis would be joining me on the hunt and we could hardly wait for November. We chose to hunt the second week allowing us to spend time with our family over Thanksgiving. Arriving at camp on the 28th around noon we met with our guide Seth who had a ram spotted he thought I needed to check out. After a long drive we met up with our other guide Jason who had been keeping eyes on the sheep. After looking through the spotter I agreed it was a beautiful ram, but passed as I had not waited this long to hunt sheep and have it over the first afternoon. The next morning Travis and Jason headed south while Seth and I went north. The morning was spent with Seth and I looking over dozens of sheep with a handful of nice rams. We got a call from Jason saying they had a ram they thought we needed to look at. After driving many miles south we met up only to find out the ram had disappeared into one of the many folds of the rugged terrain. Glassing up several other sheep we decide to split up again and glass our way back towards camp. After a few spots and several more sheep spotted. We stopped at one last place before camp. Right away Seth spotted a group of young rams. Looking more to the south I spotted a couple of ewes. Telling Seth were they were he got excited and said look what's bedded bewteen those two. Right away I knew this was a ram I'd be thrilled to take. Wanting my son to be there we called and told them we'd found the one. After a short stalk and a steep uphill 350 yard shot, my dream of taking a sheep had finally can true. Many thanks to Travis , Seth and Jason . I could'nt have had better hunting partners to share this experiance with.
I'm not seeing a photo. Sounds like an awesome hunt though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you enjoyed every moment . Congrats on a great accomplishment . This will never be forgotten .

CaseyU

WKR
I have been waiting for this! Great job on a great ram. Doesn't get much better then to have family there with you. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk