hooded baselayer for sheep hunting?

OP
K

keller

WKR
so it looks like if I plan on wearing one piece all day probably get the peloten 97. or wear a baselayer and the peloten 200 over the top of the baselayer till you get hot then take it off? cause the peloten 200 will be too hot to hike in?? I plan on wearing the peloten 130 long sleeve t-shirt as a baselayer.

Stid2677

WKR
Drive over to Valdez, from Anchorage take the Glenn Hwy to Valdez. Book with the Dan Orion for Halibut and book early. Won the derby last years I believe. Drive back to Paxton and cross the Denali Hwy and fish for Graying at Tangle Lakes and the other tribs that flow by the Hwy Alpine Creek Lodge has Okay accommodations. Return back to Anchorage or make a run to the Park, (Denali). Many Alaskan's travel to the Kenai and fish for Reds, rainbows and Kings, a trip down to Homer and a charter from there is an opportunity as well. Travis Price guides on the Kenia and has a good rep.

Sandman

FNG
I'll offer you some advice regarding your OP and a few additional tidbits that have worked for me. I've been on several sheep hunts in Alaska, and until last year, always wore a superlight 1/4 - 1/2 zip hoodless base layer like Patagonia capilene and was pleased. I purchased the new Sitka Ascent pants and lightweight core 1/2 zip hoody for my 2017 sheep hunt in the Brooks and was pleased with both. Unless it is pouring rain or frigidly cold, when I am under a pack and on the move I wear just the baselayer. I always start a climb cold with the anticipation of quickly heating up. I now prefer the hooded baselayer to a hoodless. It offers enough protection for my head that I no longer start the climb with a beanie that soon gets shed. Now I start zipped and hooded, then as I start to warm up, I unzip first, then shed the hood. For quick stops, I do the reverse, and have been comfortable. For any stops that are longer than 10 minutes or so, I will put on my Chugach NX rain jacket. If I'm stopping for a while, I shed the baselayer, and don a midweight piece like the 210 Kuiu Merino and insulation if necessary, followed by the rain jacket again. I keep my midweight and insulation dry ALWAYS. The midweight may get a bit of perspiration in it initially, but my body heat always quickly dries it out, and it has never felt damp later. When descending, it's just the baselayer, again, with adjustments made according to my bodyheat. In Idaho this year, when climbing down the mountain it would get cold, and the hood gave just enough added warmth that I was comfortable without excessive sweat. Like mentioned in a previous post, the hood helps to protect your neck from wind, sun, and bugs, which you WILL encounter in the Wrangells. Pickup a Sea to Summit lightweight bugnet and bring 100% DEET -- you'll need it the first week of August. The first time I hunted the Wrangells, I spent a lot of time glassing. It was HOT and the mosquitoes were out in full force. I had the headnet on, but pulled up in front so I could glass with no obstruction. I had no DEET. My neck got TORE up! I mean it looked like hamburger the next day and itched like a mutha! I now always bring the headnet AND 100% DEET. For an outer layer, I only bring a rain jacket, it does everything and more that a softshell will do. Yes, the softshell breathes more, but when you are hoofing it with a pack, you will likely be too warm -- just depends on how your body regulates heat. My partner brought a Kuiu softshell and rainjacket last year to the Brooks, and wished that he had left the softshell at home for the reasons I mentioned. I think it will be unnecessary weight. Back to the hoody. Your gonna get wet, either by sweat or rain, so get the lightest weight baselayer you can find. One that dries quickly, and has a 1/4-1/2 zipper. I've used several different merinos and synthetics. Merino does NOT dry near as fast as synthetic, and for me, always seems to be damp. My capilene was treated, and never stunk, I wore it several years. The new Sitka lightweight hoody is treated with Polygiene, and I did not notice any stank on my sheep or elk hunt this year. It does not dry quite as fast as the capilene, and does not breathe quite as well, but I love the hood, and the differences are not that great, in my opinion. At night, if my baselayer is damp, I put in my bag with me, and it's dry in the morning. The Ascent pants are absolutely the best pants I have worn for mountain hunts. Again, unless it is pouring, I just wear the pants. These things are superlight, dry unbelievably fast, and are durable considering their lightweight. I think they are the almost-PERFECT mountain pant. Many people seems to think you need pants with Carhart-like durability, that has not been my experience. I bring a small rectangle of Thermarest Z-light that I always sit on when glassing or sitting on rocks. It's more comfortable and I don't have to worry about puncturing my pants if I sit on a sharp rock. If the Ascents has side zips like my Kuiu Attacks pants, they would be perfect! Once the Attacks are wet with rain or perspiration, they stay wet -- especially in Alaska. Good luck!

I agree with Sandman on the hoody. That Sitka LW 1/2 Zip hoody is the ticket. Dries fast and is super versatile alone hiking in decent weather or under other layers. The Polygiene worked extremely well and it's what I'll be using this year for all my base layers. I was a tried and true merino wool fan, but the stuff just doesn't dry fast enough and is heavier than the synthetics. I got rid of my peloton layer last year and ran the LW Hoody in combination with the Sitka Timberline jacket and found that it's the perfect combination for covering about any weather scenario in the mountains, unless it was a downpour. At that point the Dewpoint went over everything or the Kifaru Lost Parka was used for lounging around camp or glassing on chilly days.

BRWNBR

WKR
Man you guys are intense when it comes to gear! I can’t google stuff fast enough to keep up with anything anyone is talking about!! Lol
I have been wearing the original ascent pant since it came out I believe for my mountain hunts. Love them. Melted them drying them out over s lantern this year though. For my top i run a light weight red ram merino and the first lite Chama hoody. Every. Single. Day. All. Season. Between 150-200 days a years. Literally that’s what I wear. Then a old under armor fleece sweatshirt and a microtex cabelas button up shirt. I’d try some of the newer stuff but they change everything so often I wouldn’t know where to start.
All merino wools are not created equal, and the weight of them can slow down the drying times. But for me light weight merino Works great. Heavy weight stuff I am not a fan of.

Not a fan of 100% Merino. Stays wet too long from sweat, etc. The $20 Paradox zip-neck, Long sleeved, made of blended-treated poly and some Merino is much superior for me (Costco). Good luck. As per hoods, I like them in the puffy and rain jackets but haven’t used them otherwise. Microtex shirt over the Paradox does it fine for me.

OP
K

keller

WKR
thanks everyone for all the good info it was exactly what I was looking for. I feel better prepared now with a lot of my questions answered. i have a sitka core lightweight hoody on order.
thanks john

OP
K

keller

WKR
finally received the sitka lw hoody I'm happy with the fit and the ease of use with the hood and facemask I also ordered a couple pair of boxers and they seem to work well so far as well. now to wait 6 months for the real test it will be here soon enough.thanks for all the input