Montana Record Rams

Mtnboy

WKR
Saw these over on John Lewton's Instagram, couple new records coming out of MT this year it looks like.

Hunter Killed:

0e5fade6768f25cff5e222fe88f05815.jpg

Wild Horse Island Pick Ups:

470415231f7fd7cb8e37ac7d81a3b8c1.jpg
416511a05060ade75ed7d1c83ea1d900.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Insane. Sheep are some incredible creatures. I'd love to just set eyes on them in a more "natural" environment. I've never seen a sheep that wasn't within view of a paved parking lot etc.

MtGomer

WKR
The full story on the deadhead will make your blood boil. If given the choice between doing right and f&@$ng up big time, FWP will choose the latter most of the time, every time.

• Banned
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Was just reading more, looks like the bottom Ram in that picture Green Scored over 214"

AdamW

WKR
The full story on the deadhead will make your blood boil. If given the choice between doing right and f&@$ng up big time, FWP will choose the latter most of the time, every time.

Link?

slick

WKR

Please share

MtGomer

WKR
Does anybody believe that the largest Bighorn ram in the world was ‘lost’ in a freezer?

If you look on the ‘sheep hunting’ Facebook page you will see part of the story where the men responsible for getting this ram ‘unlost’ from the freezer explains what he went through to get FWP not to just measure this ram, but to even acknowledge that they were in possession of it. He had to email them a photo of their employee holding it and tell them the name of the employee and the employee’s job title. This is after over a year of persistent calling, emailing and questioning.
Over the years, many large rams have been picked up by FWP on the island to never be seen at the public auction or put on display for the benefit of education or the public.
To this day, FWP flat out lies about and denies the existence of rams that are known to have been picked up by the agency. Where are they?
Sheep and all big game are a public resource and not for an administrator, commissioner or otherwise to lie about, hide from the public and put on display in their private homes while telling the public the animal doesn’t exist. It is a serious criminal offense in Montana to be in possession of an unplugged ram, yet the ‘right’ people do it all the time. The same people that would see to it that you or I never hunted again if we collected a naturally deceased ram’s head.
It may sound silly to be upset about the whereabouts of a dead sheep, but it’s more about the overall attitude those entrusted with managing our wildlife hold towards the average person, while holding themselves to no standards of professionalism or accountability.

Mt Al

WKR
Monsters!! Was at a guy's ranch near Winifred last spring. He showed a few cell pics of rams meandering around his place, munching his grass: massive.

slick

WKR
Does anybody believe that the largest Bighorn ram in the world was ‘lost’ in a freezer?

If you look on the ‘sheep hunting’ Facebook page you will see part of the story where the men responsible for getting this ram ‘unlost’ from the freezer explains what he went through to get FWP not to just measure this ram, but to even acknowledge that they were in possession of it. He had to email them a photo of their employee holding it and tell them the name of the employee and the employee’s job title. This is after over a year of persistent calling, emailing and questioning.
Over the years, many large rams have been picked up by FWP on the island to never be seen at the public auction or put on display for the benefit of education or the public.
To this day, FWP flat out lies about and denies the existence of rams that are known to have been picked up by the agency. Where are they?
Sheep and all big game are a public resource and not for an administrator, commissioner or otherwise to lie about, hide from the public and put on display in their private homes while telling the public the animal doesn’t exist. It is a serious criminal offense in Montana to be in possession of an unplugged ram, yet the ‘right’ people do it all the time. The same people that would see to it that you or I never hunted again if we collected a naturally deceased ram’s head.
It may sound silly to be upset about the whereabouts of a dead sheep, but it’s more about the overall attitude those entrusted with managing our wildlife hold towards the average person, while holding themselves to no standards of professionalism or accountability.

I began my search for information on this ram after you made accusations. I've seen you on hunttalk, here, and you've personally been a help over the phone and personal messages in the past. I take your opinion very seriously.
I hope my "elaborate please" wasn't taken as an offensive response. I just had no idea what you meant by that. It wasn't exactly clear in your first post. I originally thought that some average joe sportsman found it, took it in, and then got in trouble for turning it over sort of deal. Not trying to pick an argument with you, was just curious what you meant by it.

If what you say is the case, than said FWP personnel should be held accountable. I agree whole heartedly with your above sentiments. A ram like that isn't for a biologist, warden, or any public official to display in their home, but should be available for the public.

MtGomer

WKR
I hope my "elaborate please" wasn't taken as an offensive response.

Oh no, not at all. I should have elaborated more to begin with, I was just busy at the moment.
I’m kind of acquainted with one of the guys that’s been pushing the issue with them on this so I’ve been hearing about it for a while. Just frustrating to listen to a guy seemingly beat his head against a wall trying to get simple answers out of people he knows has them.

Gumbo

WKR

Pretty small-minded to berate the entire agency.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Pretty small-minded to berate the entire agency.

You obviously don’t follow MT F&G and their various witch hunts and squandering taxpayer money when it comes to sheep. They have some serious issues...

Gumbo

WKR
You obviously don’t follow MT F&G and their various witch hunts and squandering taxpayer money when it comes to sheep. They have some serious issues...

I work for FWP. And FWP is funded by license dollars, not tax dollars.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I work for FWP. And FWP is funded by license dollars, not tax dollars.

OK. I buy licenses in MT, my apologies for the wrong word. Now then, where do you stand on your crew “losing” these rams in the freezer?

Where do you stand on your crew shooting a B&C ram to try to frame John Lewton for unlicensed guiding?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And I’m ignorant about how trials are paid for. Who paid for the state to prosecute that witch hunt? It was in court for quite a while.