Who's going to the sheep show this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnboy

WKR
I completely disagree that they aren't making money on it.

1200 members at $25 each is $30k

Factor in maybe 10% (likely more) wouldn't even be members if it weren't for 1< that's another $6k in General Membership fees minimum.

Another 400-500 in $20 tickets to the Beer Banquet, that's conservatively $8k

Haven't even mentioned the international club or sponsorship fees.

Safe to say it's $50k or very likely more for them.

If they are netting $50k from a single auction tag (I don't believe they are by any means) then we really should be questioning things. To my knowledge their cut is supposed to be 10% and I don't believe any auction tag has ever gone for more than $500k.

I'm not here to argue, just lay out what I've seen and heard. I know for damn sure the vibe Friday night wasn't a good one and I definitely heard quite a few people questioning things on Saturday.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Molon Labe.

Basically everyone in that room is tied to WSF in one way or another.. and Gray knows a ton of people. The amount of people actually in that room that Gray doesn't know, is probably a smaller percentage than who he does know. Heck, I now know 3 friends of mine that have drawn and I don't know a quarter of the people at that thing, so knowing the winners just doesn't surprise me at all.

I've filmed Gray quite a bit for the show and he always gives me a hug and asks how everything is going whether he's busy at the show or in his office at WSF. So if I would have been drawn, would I have been put on that list a couple posts above as being a non legitimate draw?

In regards to the Cabela's employee that drew... I actually filmed his hunt... Cabela's also tried to take that away from him. I can tell you I was standing next to him when he got drawn and he was just as surprised as every other person. Same with Ryan... I slapped him on the back and said way to go and he was extremely surprised to what just happened.

As for backing out of the <1 club over this.... it saddens me to hear guys say they're going to quit. The point is to get new hunters involved sheep hunting and to raise money for conservation.. so when a few guys that happen to know Gray from working on WSF projects, are at the WSF show, and get drawn, suddenly it's rigged and not worth a $20 bill to pitch in for conservation.

Just freaking disappointing to me..

Jpeaston

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth, I was the second name pulled for the <1 drawing in 2017. I was just a regular guy trying to win a hunt like everybody else in the room and have no ties to any one in the organization.

Mtnboy

WKR
Here's the last thing I'll say. Going forward I think they'd have a lot less questions if they let people who take the time to travel to Reno, pay to be at the show, pay to be at the beer banquet etc. etc. actually see their physical ticket go in the bin.

2 years in a row now I've been told "don't worry, we'll get them in there"

Those of you on the inside might pass that along if you'd like.

I will also say again, I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen, among some other separate issues I have at more of a local level...I'm kicking myself out of Less Than 1

MtGomer

WKR
Most of us just buy our tickets and renew our <1, <1i, general memberships etc online so we don't see our names go in the bin either.

They cut sales off at a certain time to ensure there is time to get the names printed and into the drawing.

Good luck in the state drawings

-Riley

OP
Molon Labe
I completely disagree that they aren't making money on it.

1200 members at $25 each is $30k

Factor in maybe 10% (likely more) wouldn't even be members if it weren't for 1< that's another $6k in General Membership fees minimum.

Another 400-500 in $20 tickets to the Beer Banquet, that's conservatively $8k

Haven't even mentioned the international club or sponsorship fees.

Safe to say it's $50k or very likely more for them.

If they are netting $50k from a single auction tag (I don't believe they are by any means) then we really should be questioning things. To my knowledge their cut is supposed to be 10% and I don't believe any auction tag has ever gone for more than $500k.

I'm not here to argue, just lay out what I've seen and heard. I know for damn sure the vibe Friday night wasn't a good one and I definitely heard quite a few people questioning things on Saturday.

Mtnboy-please stop. You are being overly negative for an event that is supposed to be positive and fun. At an event that is put on by a foundation that puts sheep on the mountain. I won't get into the numbers whether or not they are profitable on the less than one club but it is most likely available looking through their financial and that is public information since they are a 501C.

Not winning is to be expected. You should be happy for the people that win not pissed because you didn't.

I had so much fun at the event talking to and meeting so many people on the floor and off. Overall a very positive experience and I will be back next year without a doubt.

Thank you Jordan and Riley by bringing a bit more positivity back into this thread.

Mtnboy

WKR
Sorry I blew holes in your "not profitable" argument. Not thinking it's profitable is just pure and simple ignorance, they are there to make money, as they should be. If a part of the event wasn't profitable I can assure you it wouldn't be promoted and growing like Less Than 1.

Sorry again to hurt your feelers.

Glad you enjoyed the event, that's what it's for.

I also enjoyed it overall and have a Dall hunt on the calendar for 2020, so it was only a matter of time for me before I don't need to do Less Than 1.

C Bow

WKR
Hi my name is Coy Bowman and I was at the event for the first time and was there when Riley drew the ticket. I did not win but I am very happy for the person who did win. I had a WONDERFUL time and God willing I will be back next year. If any person that was there and did not see all the wonderful things that the people from the WSF and WSF members have done not only for sheep but for the Wounded Warriors then I do not know what to say other than Thanks to all the people who were SO nice to me. EVERYONE I HAD THE PLEASURE TO MEET. People who did not know me gave me tickets to the banquets when they found out I could not get a ticket because it was sold out. I have never felt so included at any other event I have been to. Thanks again to everyone that was so kind to me.

Drifli

Banned
So Jordan... you are ok with this?

2018 Winner Number 3: President of the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation. Also, this guy is super lucky cause he drew a NV tag in 2016 and killed a Desert Ram. But wait, shouldn't that mean he's not eligible? Yes. But does he come clean? No. He smiles, acts in disbelief and goes about celebrating and taking pictures with his prize until someone went forward and pointed out they knew he'd harvested a sheep. At that point they act like it was a mistake and that he thought he'd drawn an International hunt, he must have been the only person in the room who didn't know it was the drawing for the third and final Dall Sheep hunt. Once all this transpired, they redrew another winner. Why was this guy in the drawing to begin with?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Jordan... you are ok with this?

2018 Winner Number 3: President of the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation. Also, this guy is super lucky cause he drew a NV tag in 2016 and killed a Desert Ram. But wait, shouldn't that mean he's not eligible? Yes. But does he come clean? No. He smiles, acts in disbelief and goes about celebrating and taking pictures with his prize until someone went forward and pointed out they knew he'd harvested a sheep. At that point they act like it was a mistake and that he thought he'd drawn an International hunt, he must have been the only person in the room who didn't know it was the drawing for the third and final Dall Sheep hunt. Once all this transpired, they redrew another winner. Why was this guy in the drawing to begin with?

I never said nor implied that I was ok with that. I was in the room and didn’t even know that had happened, hence why I didn’t touch on it in my response earlier. How would I know why he was in the drawing? I don’t know how they screen it... do you want to go through 1200 purchased memberships and look into their backgrounds to see if they qualify or not because I don’t? Sure he should have spoken up but that’s on him.

I was there to film a little, drink a beer with my friends, have fun and maybe win a sheep hunt.... along with most of the other 1,000 people in that thing. And I do find it disappointing that when some guys affiliated with WSF were fortunate enough to actually win the hunts, some “haters” jump right into talking how rigged it is and they only drew because Gray knows them. Really? Most of us just said well that sucks, maybe next year.

With all that being said.. I do see the concerns of not being able to actually see your name go in the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Molon Labe
Sorry I blew holes in your "not profitable" argument. Not thinking it's profitable is just pure and simple ignorance, they are there to make money, as they should be. If a part of the event wasn't profitable I can assure you it wouldn't be promoted and growing like Less Than 1.

Sorry again to hurt your feelers.

Glad you enjoyed the event, that's what it's for.

I also enjoyed it overall and have a Dall hunt on the calendar for 2020, so it was only a matter of time for me before I don't need to do Less Than 1.

Dude. You gotta let it go. Your negativity is crazy.
Not hurting my feelings bud...I was just trying to help you out.
You win all the internet points...good job now move on.

You better start thinking a bit more positive or sheep hunting is going to be miserable for you.
It's hard work, weather is bad and you are not guaranteed a ram just because you booked a hunt.

You may still "need" less than one.

Drifli

Banned
Jordan,

Seriously " Haters " is what you take from the above coments. You are defending what happened by trying to shame others who say they are done with WSF. I like how you think it's ok to belittle people who think what happened is unacceptable and call them hatters.

Just so I get this straight, everyone who questioned what happened at the show is a hatter in Jordan Budd's eyes.... I will take everything you write, produce and support with a grain of salt from now on.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan,

Seriously " Haters " is what you take from the above coments. You are defending what happened by trying to shame others who say they are done with WSF. I like how you think it's ok to belittle people who think what happened is unacceptable and call them hatters.

Just so I get this straight, everyone who questioned what happened at the show is a hatter in Jordan Budd's eyes.... I will take everything you write, produce and support with a grain of salt from now on.

I’m certainly not entirely defending what happened at <1 club... if the quoted part you first started with is what you’re talking about, I don’t agree with it if it was intentional. But idk that it was intentional. I didn’t even know it happened until I read this.

What started this whole thing was an accusation of guys getting drawn that were Greys friends and others immediately concluding that they rigged the drawing... that I will defend until proven otherwise because I do not believe that’s what happened. Hater wasn’t the correct term to use either.. but conclusions were jumped to pretty quickly with almost zero facts to go along with them.

Also my view on this matter has nothing to do with my gear reviews.

Clarktar

WKR
I will make friends with whomever to get a sheep tag (or goat). Just let me know who!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You know what? I have an idea. How about we all just put in the years and wait patiently to get our OWN tags. Crazy, right?

I have already started buying points for my Sheep tags in Nevada a few years ago and in a few more I will be ready to actual start applying. I will also start applying in other states in the years to come, thereby increasing my chances.

What I will not do is try to bring an organization down with hearsay and innuendo when I don't get my tag in the years to follow.

Wish me luck!!

Kotaman

WKR
Saying any of these WSF drawings are rigged is ludicrous. I think Megaball is rigged ‘cause I’ve never won. In fact, I’m never buying another lottery ticket ever. 😂😂😂

Alright I have kept quite. I figured my comment earlier would get me through it. I said I know what you meant about it feeling rigged. I would say that about anything. Hell I won a watch last year and had to ask my dad who was with me if he bought it and rigged it. We are all wanting to win that hunt so most would say it’s rigged if they didn’t win. I can tell you that it isn’t rigged. I have ties to the sheep foundation, know gray and his wife. I actually got married at the sheep foundation in Cody before they moved. My wife grew up around the sheep foundation. Do I agree with everything that goes on, no. That’s like asking me a question about politics. So I can tell you, it is not rigged. Does it suck that guys won that may have opportunities some of us don’t. Well of course but they won and it’s time to move on. Don’t stop giving your money to an organization that is one of the good ones in regards to conservation. If your going to stop just because of that, maybe you need to rethink why we “give” that money away in the first place. I don’t expect anything in return. No hunt, no nothing. I give it away because it goes to a cause I support and it supports my habits. Just sit back and remember your not donating to win a hunt. I am friends with the individuals that came up with the club and I think it does a lot of good. As mentioned above, the intent was to get non sheep hunters or guys and gals who want to be sheep hunters supporters and also give them a chance to win a hunt. Enjoy the thrill and go through the magazine and say to yourself, I helped a little bit with this. Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Jordan,

I think you need to back it down a notch. If it’s acceptable to get on the internet and make unsubstantiated accusations it’s just as reasonable for someone to come right back at it with criticism, especially if they personally know some people involved.
One thing I don’t see on here much is someone so directly getting after someone else. If you can’t take a moment and write with a little more care, and actually use some respect, save it. I’m not sure how hopping on Rokslide and writing off Jordan publicly is contributing to anything productive, let alone furthering the point that <1 is rigged.

I just read this whole thread and I don’t understand how getting on the internet and accusing/slandering WSF is an acceptable behavior without some substantial proof. Some guy’s integrity is not proof of “rigging.” The internet is a pretty high visibility place - I’m sure I’m not the only one that would appreciate some proof rather than speculation. If you don’t have it, consider the implications of what you’re writing before torching WSF - it’s on the internet. You can’t make it go away now.

Status
Not open for further replies.