Brooks Range Sheep Hunt gear question

elkr4me

FNG
First off thanks for the help...I have a Brooks Range sheep/Caribou hunt booked for the fall of 2018 (first week of September). I am researching rain gear and considering all brands...however, kuiu is having a sale and I pulled the trigger on the Ultra NX jacket and pants...considering my hunt is a backpack hunt I was swayed by the light weight of the Ultra NX...I have never been to the Brooks Range before but have read that it's possibly less bushwhacking than other destinations...wondering if despite the significant price difference (sale price for the set of Ultra NX $325 vs Chugach set at $550) I should have opted for the heavier Chugach? Anybody with experience regarding the weather in Brooks Range in early Sept and will I or should I expect heavy brush?

handwerk

WKR
I hunted caribou there in 2007 and at least where I was, the trees and brush were mainly just along the rivers, beyond that it was open tundra/rocky/shale, it's just plain awesome country, can't wait to get back there.
Where are you flying out of?

OP
E

elkr4me

FNG
I hunted caribou there in 2007 and at least where I was, the trees and brush were mainly just along the rivers, beyond that it was open tundra/rocky/shale, it's just plain awesome country, can't wait to get back there.
Where are you flying out of?

Flying out of Coldfoot...thanks for the reply...what time of year did you hunt? Cant wait to go...

No real bush whacking to speak of. Unless you take a fall, I wouldn’t be to concerned about the durability of the Ultra NX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
I flew out of coldfoot as well, with Coyote Air, great folks to deal with. I went the 2nd week of Sept.
As they say....you never really leave the Brooks.

oenanthe

WKR
Anybody with experience regarding the weather in Brooks Range in early Sept and will I or should I expect heavy brush?

September Brooks Range weather can be pretty lousy, especially on the north side. Be prepared for lots of fog! And days and days of rain and snow.

There is a bit of brush in the Brooks, mainly on the south side, but there's usually a way around it. You'll probably have to push through a brushy patch in a creek bottom every now and again, but there's no real bushwhacking involved. You should be just fine with that raingear, with a modicum of care.

OP
E

elkr4me

FNG
Thanks for the reply...hoping for blue skies...those white sheep are hard to see in fog and snow

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
September Brooks Range weather can be pretty lousy, especially on the north side. Be prepared for lots of fog! And days and days of rain and snow.

There is a bit of brush in the Brooks, mainly on the south side, but there's usually a way around it. You'll probably have to push through a brushy patch in a creek bottom every now and again, but there's no real bushwhacking involved. You should be just fine with that raingear, with a modicum of care.

This is great advice and mirrors my experience. GPS service is spotty as well. Easy to get turned around in the pea soup fog.

Pray for good weather, this past year the first week of Sep was pretty miserable for those trying to sheep hunt still. You shouldn't have much issue tagging out on the caribou though. Have fun, the Brooks are a great place to spend some time!

Jimss

WKR
I just went to the Kuiu website and the Chugach pants and jackets were only $20 more than the Ultra NX. I've been on 2 dall and 2 mtn goat hunts in Alaska and wouldn't skimp on raingear. You will likely be living in them most of your trip! The Chugach pants plus jacket would roughly weigh 1 lb total more than the Ultras. It may also be worth having a little heavier material for warmth against the wind and cold. Knowing how horrible the wind and rain can be in Alaska it would likely be worth it having confidence that your raingear is going to last.

One place you may have problems with lighter material is in the knees. Every time you kneel down on rock/brush you could possible puncture or put a hole in lighter material. Obviously hiking through brush may also rip or cause leakage in the legs. It may be worth spending and extra $20 and carrying an extra lb on your back with the Chugach?

RyanC

WKR
I'm with Troutbum on durability of raingear in the Brooks Range. If it's 1lb lighter between the 2 sets I would opt for the lighter set. Typically in the Brooks if it is raining non-stop the fog comes with it and you will be in your shelter waiting out the storm. This last sheep season I spent 2 days in my shelter out of 12 but got rained on daily. Have your rain gear handy but if you're in sheep country up there, don't worry about getting the most durable rain gear out there.

My .02

AZinAK

FNG
Having sheep hunted the south and north side of the Brooks, I would say the Ultra will be fine. I'd say scree is more of a possible problem for tears or other damage than any brush. Like anything, be mindful while using any of your gear and you'll be fine. I highly suggest making sure your layering system underneath your raingear is dialed in to the "T". From being hot while hiking to glassing in snow, you'll need to be able to adjust for comfort and ensuring you don't get wet from the inside our or vise versa. That can lead to bad situations. Two years in a row for the Brooks for me. Time to mix it up! Wrangells time! Best of luck this year.

-AZinAK

OP
E

elkr4me

FNG
thanks for the advice...I am dialing and redialing the gear list and layers :)...put something in I think I cant live without then take it out two days later...weigh everything...take something out...add it in...weigh again...repeat

BRWNBR

WKR
Sheep is one of those things guys tend to overthink. Make a list of what you need to survive. Take that.
I don’t bring two pairs of pants. I wear one. If something happens to them I’ll wear my base layer under my rain pants if I need to. I dry my socks and insoles in my sleeping bag every night. So I can get by with maybe two pairs of socks. I wear thin layers so they dry fast if they get wet. I have one puffy coat that’s my warm layer. It’s sythetic down so it’s dry even if it is wet. I would never get lighter rain gear. There’s a lot of guides that get the kuiu Yukon and just wear that as their main pant and then don’t have to bring more clothes. Drops one set of pants.
Leave the trinkets at home. Ask Thor what he’s bringing and don’t double up on stuff. Keep it as simple as you can. If your freakin’ out because of s pound or two. Get in better shape. Making a pack lighter is easier than getting in shape. But remember, you wanna double your pack weight on the mountain at some point.

Good area he is in. I hunt that area often. Taken good rams in the past out of that area. Very open area free of trees and brush. One of the very best genetics for sheep in the Brooks Range. This area you can potentially cover 10-12 miles per day because it is so open. All the best gear, lightest packs, best rifles etc does you little good if you are not in shape. Being in top physical and mental shape is the great equalizer I always say. It is not too early to start this getting in shape process if you are not already. Its easier to drop 10lbs of body fat 7 months out then to drop 10lbs of needed gear for your hunt from your pack.

Ill be just one main river drainage south of you guiding two different sheep hunters this year. My personal hunt Ill be up in that area you will be in the later part of August. Good luck to you.

PM me if you want to discuss specific areas that I have hunted in the past where you will be.

Last edited:
Sheep is one of those things guys tend to overthink. Make a list of what you need to survive. Take that.

This is exactly how I operate and most of the people I hunt with do as well... I take nothing extra and nothing that I "might" need. Best of luck!

BRWNBR

WKR
This is exactly how I operate and most of the people I hunt with do as well... I take nothing extra and nothing that I "might" need. Best of luck!

That’s the way to do it! When I pack my stuff for guiding I just cringe at all the extra crap I gotta bring for the “mights, maybes and just in case” situations.