Booking Hunt-ARRO or Lancaster’s

wlane87

FNG
Hunted in AK this year and lost 7 days due to weather, never saw a legal ram and encountered sign of hunters at our spike camps(1 week old Dall hair and a havalon blade). Needless to say I’m dying to go back and hunt Dall Sheep and bring one home this time. 100% set on NWT and narrowed down to Arctic Red or Nahanni Butte. I want to work for my ram but I want to go home with one as well. Would love to here some recommendations on who to go with and why. 30 yrs old and in good shape.

Who did you hunt with in AK?

I don't think you could go wrong with either of your choices! Best of luck and have a great time, sheep hunting is the best!

OP
wlane87

wlane87

FNG
Hunted with Alaska Perimeter Expeditions in the Brooks. Was Huntin Fool's top recommended but that was before i really started diving in on Rokslide, which now seems like the best resource.

OP
wlane87

wlane87

FNG
One question about Lancaster's is how much did their concession change when their main spot became National Park and they had to quit hunting it in 2015?

OP
wlane87

wlane87

FNG
After that, question is, do you prefer more of a back pack style or Helicopter style. How much do these vary (maybe 50% less distance covered on foot with the heli?)

Any idea on success rate comparisons for the two? I had just assumed they were both close to 100 but had heard Lancaster's was higher too

BRWNBR

WKR
What are these two outfits telling you? Seems most these questions could be answered by them.
As for using the chopper, all depends on how they use it for me. If it’s just to access the area no biggie. If they use it to set you up on a mountian after finding a ram then I’d skip it.

I’m a Sheep guide so I’m bias. But I like a backpack hunt. Hitting the ground running. We don’t spot Sheep from the air, just go into country that’s known for producing and go find what we are looking for. Clients are often a little
Bummed if they tag out early, so that tells me that the experience of a backpack Sheep hunt is fulfilling for them as well. I’ve guided for outfits who spot them from the air and then set you on the ground and that is “your” Sheep. Get up the next day and go after it. It’s just not the same.

I hunted with MMO in the NWT in 2015, with the use of a helicopter. I didn't kill my ram until the evening of day 9 on a 10 day hunt. It was a pure backpack hunt, without question. BUT, and a big BUT, the other 5 hunters in camp had their rams killed all within the first 3 days. I could have killed the first day but passed on rams, after that it turned into a sheep hunt. I think the helicopter offers a huge advantage. They showed me the old landing strips they used prior to the helo and I can tell you if we didn't have the helo we would have had to put in a couple solid days of hiking just to get into our initial starting point. I also think both helo or cub guys are going to be looking for rams from the air, you'll be kidding yourself if you think they don't. I've had friends who have hunted with ARRO and it sounds like an old school pure backpack hunt. We chose the helo hunt because my dad was going to be turning 60 that year, but ultimately health issues kept him from coming up on the hunt and I went alone. You'll just need to decide what you want in your hunt. The helo odds are higher because they can plant you closer to sheep. If you can't go home again without one, you truly need to factor this in. With all that said I wouldn't have traded my 9 days on the mountain for anything. It was the greatest hunting adventure I've ever been on. I'm looking now at going to the Yukon and that will be without the helo. However you end up I think you can't go wrong with either outfit, the NWT is an awesome place!

OP
wlane87

wlane87

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the insight...

BRWNBR

WKR
How much are Canada’s dall Sheep hunts now? Couldn’t find a price canol’s page.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
How much are Canada’s dall Sheep hunts now? Couldn’t find a price canol’s page.

Minus tags and charter flights you'd be looking from $23 to $30K with Midnight Sun being the priciest I've come across while looking.

BRWNBR

WKR
Wow. Ok. Thanks. Crud man I remember when I started guiding Sheep were $7000 here in Alaska.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
How much extra cost outside of the listed hunt price are you expecting/budgeting for by hunting Canada vs. Alaska? (extra flights, tags, etc)

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
Depending where you hunt in Alaska or who with. You might be looking at 2000 for hotels meals and licenses. Some
Have flights included in the price.

pgk

FNG
ARRO and it's not even close. That's the most remote, unhunted wildlife management unit on the continent.

In the NWT, success rate is entirely dependent on the hunter.

OP
wlane87

wlane87

FNG
ARRO and it's not even close. That's the most remote, unhunted wildlife management unit on the continent.

In the NWT, success rate is entirely dependent on the hunter.

That's freaking awesome. Booked with them for '19 and can't wait

I think that most of the Mackenzie Mt sheep hunts are pretty good. Doubt one outfitter has all the good hunting cornered. I bowhunted with Canol for Dall’s in 2017 and had a great hunt.

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted NWT this past July with Gana (just south of ARRO). If I were going back to NWT and wanted a true backpack style hunt with supercub, I would look only at ARRO and Gana. If I wanted heli hunts, I would look at Canol. Having spent a fair amount of time with Tavis at Sheep show, I don't think you can go wrong with ARRO. Good luck on your hunt!!! The Mackenzie mountains are unbelievable!!!