Backpack Size for N.W.T. 10 day hunt

Hey Guys,

I am headed to the NWT in August for a Dall Hunt and am wondering what size pack some of you have experience with for a 10 day hunt. I recently bought a Kuiu 5200 but have been second guessing if I should have bought the 7200.

Any input that might help me decide???

BRWNBR

WKR
I’d rather have extra room when I’m loaded that be strapping stuff on the outside altering my balance point and risking injury. Bigger pack is best I think. It’s designed to carry more stuff closer to your body with better balance. That’s always safer in the mountains than strapping gear on the outside of your pack.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah you'd want to be around the 6500-7000 range IMO. I use the sky talus 6900 and am around 70-75lbs for 10 days, living good, everything fits good. You could be ultra light and make it all fit but not my style.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Guys,

I am headed to the NWT in August for a Dall Hunt and am wondering what size pack some of you have experience with for a 10 day hunt. I recently bought a Kuiu 5200 but have been second guessing if I should have bought the 7200.

Any input that might help me decide???

Are you at the sheep show?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
7000+ is what I would recommend. Its amazing how much space just your food will take up for a trip that long.

fatbacks

WKR
On our 10 day Alaska Range hunt last year I used my Mystery Ranch G-7000. Plenty of space to fit dead things into it even with a full kit. Buddy had the Kuiu Ultra 6000. Still worked but would've been a tight fit if we had doubled up on sheep. Downside is my pack empty weighs a whole lot more than the Kuiu pack.

7000+ is what I would recommend. Its amazing how much space just your food will take up for a trip that long.
Exactly what I was thinking when I first read the post. Pretty easy to figure out, just pack everything up and see where you're at. I've never been on a guided hunt before so I can't speak from experience, but if the guide/outfit (assuming it's a guided hunt), your going in with, packs all the community used gear, than 5200ci might be plenty. I've been on 10 day solo trips, and I think I pack very "minimalist", and there's no way 5200ci would work for me. Hell, I don't think I could fit the changes of underwear I use into 5200ci. :)

BRWNBR

WKR
Exactly what I was thinking when I first read the post. Pretty easy to figure out, just pack everything up and see where you're at. I've never been on a guided hunt before so I can't speak from experience, but if the guide/outfit (assuming it's a guided hunt), your going in with, packs all the community used gear, than 5200ci might be plenty. I've been on 10 day solo trips, and I think I pack very "minimalist", and there's no way 5200ci would work for me. Hell, I don't think I could fit the changes of underwear I use into 5200ci. :)

You wear underwear on a sheep hunt??? Whaaaa?

I went with a Kifaru Reckoning with guide lid and two small belt pockets last August. It was perfect. Had room for part of my ram too. Also carry my bow in the gunbearer. Good luck!

OP
blacksnake0
Travis I was at sheep show last year but couldn’t make it this year. I am sitting in Texas dreaming about being there.

OP
blacksnake0
Thanks for all the input. I sent my 5200 bag back to Kuiu yesterday and have a 7200 on the way. I appreciate the insight on other packs also. I have the Kuiu frame already so I am sticking with them.