Dall sheep hunters: Rifle Bi-pod.......or not?

Bambistew

WKR
None for me. I have a couple sets, a long Harris, and a short version. They have their use, but for me it hasn't been on a sheep rifle. Of the dozen or so sheep we've shot in the last 6-7 years, I can only think of maybe 2-3 times where a bipod would have been as good as the rest chosen, or maybe better, but the result would have still been a dead sheep. For me its hard to get a short bipod setup in the weird shooting angles and situations you find when sheep hunting.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted dalls myself, and only limited experience with Aoudad, but I too would tell you to check out the spartan bipod.

I wanted one for my hunt last month but opted to shoot off my pack. I'd gone (way) over budget on my rifle/scope so I had to let things settle down a bit before dropping that much coin on a bipod. I'll have one before Spring Bear season though!

I would not consider any other bipod on the market for hunting purposes for the exact reasons listed in the responses above. But, the spartan Javelin bipod eliminates about all of those negatives. It is genious. If you haven't seen it you need to check it out (www.Javelin bipod.com). Its only SIX oz! Keep it in your pocket while hunting and it snaps on with one hand (magnets) when you are ready to set up. The only real downside is the price tag. 300 bones, and shooting off of packs/rocks is free.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

+1000 here.

The Javelin weighs mere ounces and is slick as hell.

You can get an adaptor piece so you can easily use the same bipod on several rifles.

Although I have two I like them so much, one of the shorter ones and one of the longer one.

I carried one on my Stone sheep hunt and it worked like a charm.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Brook's Range backpack hunt in 2010. Outfitter didn't recommend one and I never considered taking one even though I have one on my rifle almost all the time. Didn't feel handicapped not having one when it was time to shoot and thankful I didn't have to carry it.

Shot my sheep at 200 yards on a steep side hill slope with no rocks for support anywhere around my exposed position. I had mounted a QR plate to a small clamp and attached it to the front picatinney rail on the front stud, where you would attach a bipod. This was attached to my carbon tripod. The tripod allowed me to adjust the legs on the 30 degree slope to have a stable and level platform. I had a rock solid rest that only weighed a couple ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have since bought a tri claw ps rifle mount to attach to my tripod. This grips the rifle at the mid point, thus the balance point. I drilled numerous holes in each side of the plastic clamp and I believe it weighs 6 or so ounces. I feel confident using this out to 500 yards, even on steep terrain where a traditional rest or bipod would be really difficult to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is all about what makes you comfortable. Guys living in Alaska can hunt sheep for a pretty reasonable cost, or spend more for a fly out. I think we look at sheep hunting different than the guy who is only going to go once or twice in his lifetime. I for one, would never think of taking a bipod on a sheep hunt, but I get it if a guy going on a once in a life time hunt feels more confident taking one. A large part of sheep hunting is mental. Anything you can do to keep that mental edge is a good thing, IMO. For me its going light, getting close, and hopefully not running into lots of other Alaskans, or a valley full of 3/4 & 7/8 curls.. :)

Last edited:

Snyd

WKR
It is all about what makes you comfortable. Guys living in Alaska can hunt sheep for a pretty reasonable cost, or spend more for a fly out. I think we look at sheep hunting different than the guy who is only going to go once or twice in his lifetime. I for one, would never think of taking a bipod on a sheet hunt, but I get it if a guy going on a once in a life time hunt feels more confident taking one. A large part of sheep hunting is mental. Anything you can do to keep that mental edge is a good thing, IMO. For me its going light, getting close, and hopefully not running into lots of other Alaskans, or a valley full of 3/4 & 7/8 curls.. :)

Well said. I'm on a quest to get one with my pistol. Different stokes for different folks.

chuckhanisch

Lil-Rokslider
On one of my sheep hunts we found where someone had themselves a campfire or probably where they camped. Anyway, laying there was a harris bipod plus a few other items. My guess is that they decided the weight was not worth it and they ditched what they felt was unnecessary.

bcimport

WKR
Not for me. By the end of the hunt all I can think of is more ways to cut weight. A bipod doesn’t add enough value for me. I’m not a long range type guy though. I will pass most shots that are over 300 yards.

bern0134

FNG
Look at the Spartan Shooting System. . They were quite the buzz at the the Sheep Show this year. Some have already mentioned the Javelin Bipod. The Sentinel System is pretty neat. Its a quick attach tripod. They have 2 versions, the Woodland and the Mountain. The Mountain is the smaller/lighter version. The legs can be removed and be used as trekking poles and are very sturdy.

elkr4me

FNG
How about the NeoPod? Weighs like 3oz...I am playing around with one on my .300...seems like it is high quality...and crazy light...should also mention...kind of expensive

I've been using the Javelin Standard bi-pod for the past 4 sheep seasons. I gladly carry it in my pocket and love the rock-steady rest it provides. Weight is important, but an always reliable rifle rest isn't where I scrimp on weight and the Javelin has helped me kill animals that otherwise would have been difficult shots to steady a rifle for.