New World Record Bighorn

BRWNBR

WKR
I always thought it was pretty neat when a monster makes it to his end in the wild and not hanging on a wall. Something special
About that these days.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
NW MT folks can go see it in person at Region 1 HQ, "between noon and 5 p.m., Friday, February 23."

Short window for a looksie but worth it if you're in the area

Want to **** up a good thing in hunting, get a Texan or a Utard involved.

If it's got horns or antlers, they'll try and sell it to the highest bidder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You ought to see how much we make off just wind......

That’s a huge ram. Sounds like non stressed animals grow bigger...

Last edited:
Here's some food for thought...If I would take 2100 acres of pristine west texas mountain country, game fence it, stock it with bighorn sheep, never hunt it, and pick up dead 216" monsters....would B&C let me enter them? Would we call it a success story?

A monster no doubt. I'm not taking anything away from that. There's no denying that the efforts by hunters and conservationists to preserve the species and propagate herds into their former ranges have been amazing. And I'd love (and dream about) to shoot a book ANYTHING in my lifetime but the B&C hypocrisy can get a little much from time to time...

Take 40,000 acres and "game fence" it, manage a herd, (not talking about introducing genetics...just herd management) and shoot monsters and people call them chit. Take a pack of dogs, chase a buck across a field, have 50 hunters lined up and kill a booner buck and we write articles about it. Take a helicopter...chase a big buck into a oak thicket...take 20 guys and walk in and kill him and he's a book deer...

Let's call it what it is...a 2100 acre preserve but call him the number 1 B&C sheep??? Safari Club maybe...

Just stirring the pot...don't hate me! ;)

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Here's some food for thought...If I would take 2100 acres of pristine west texas mountain country, game fence it, stock it with bighorn sheep, never hunt it, and pick up dead 216" monsters....would B&C let me enter them? Would we call it a success story?

A monster no doubt. I'm not taking anything away from that. There's no denying that the efforts by hunters and conservationists to preserve the species and propagate herds into their former ranges have been amazing. And I'd love (and dream about) to shoot a book ANYTHING in my lifetime but the B&C hypocrisy can get a little much from time to time...

Take 40,000 acres and "game fence" it, manage a herd, (not talking about introducing genetics...just herd management) and shoot monsters and people call them chit. Take a pack of dogs, chase a buck across a field, have 50 hunters lined up and kill a booner buck and we write articles about it. Take a helicopter...chase a big buck into a oak thicket...take 20 guys and walk in and kill him and he's a book deer...

Let's call it what it is...a 2100 acre preserve but call him the number 1 B&C sheep??? Safari Club maybe...

No, because Texas doesn't count. %99.99 of their animals are really livestock not wild animals.

gelton

WKR
No, because Texas doesn't count. %99.99 of their animals are really livestock not wild animals.

Might be a stereotype but it isnt even close to being true. I have been hunting in Texas for more than 30 years and I have never taken an animal behind a high fence. Its laughable when people say that really.

Our state is bigger than California, New York and Maine combined. There are more than 1.7 Million hunters here and 27 Million residents. We have year round hunting access and plenty of big game species to hunt. To say that 99.99% of them are high fenced livestock is more than a bit far fetched.

Thank you for that delightfully insightful comment. When I draw my California sheep tag and pay for my outfitter with my Texas money, I'll be sure to send you a thank you note for allowing me to hunt one of your wild animals. I may have to ask to borrow some of your lead free ammo though so no condors die after feeding on the rib cage of my B&C sheep carcass.

dotman

WKR

No because you fenced them in, would be no different then a high fence deer or elk operation but SCI would take it. Now if you raised them and then used them to repopulate historic ranges and they were “wild” then yes it would probably work.

I do see what your saying, B&C makes their rules though so it is really an organization, the success of the bighorn has nothing to do with record books.

Agreed but my point is that the sheep was on a 2100 acre island where it is captive...i.e. it can't get off unless it swims away which I guess could be a possibility...

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
More food for thought- Shouldn't B&C be for hunting kills only and no road kill/ game fence animals/ secluded islands / etc? Its the biggest animal a hunter can take down. Great that there's bigger animals out there that die from natural causes or other ways (all the respect to them) but to be the person to get the world record is a bigger accomplishment. just my thoughts, I really don't care much about this ram but is nice to see but would rather find out everything about the world record shot by a hunter, like where? how? the whole story to me is worth more then mere inches. Each there own.

Mt Al

WKR
I always thought it was pretty neat when a monster makes it to his end in the wild and not hanging on a wall. Something special
About that these days.

Guess that was my thought, too, but can't claim originality!! My 155+-ish looks like a baby compared to that thing!

MtGomer

WKR
The island is on the Flathead Indian Reservation. So that would be an added difficulty of trying to auction a tag and do something useful with the funds.

Gumbo

WKR
I got to hold and fondle the new record today, I was surprised at how heavy it was (weight-wise, not mass). The amount broomed off on the right side was surprising too, considering it was a record. I've never scored a sheep, but I'd imagine it only gets credit for 2x the shorter side in its final net score. Anyway, regardless of where it came from it is an impressive set of horns.