Depredation IBEX Would You?

griffinit

Lil-Rokslider
I was contacted to hunt immature(Horns less than 15")/FEMALE ibex in New Mexico. Has anyone ever done this hunt, Ibex and adventure have always intrigued me. But I would be paying a non resident fee of 1,650 dollars not counting gas to get there.

Anyone out there highly recommend this opportunity? I'm on the fence it's a lot of money but I get the opportunity to be around ibex.

Thanks!

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I see the dilemma with the money because it isn't cheap but I'm not sure I could turn it down. Being less then 3 hours away helps

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Florida mountains are pretty special. The question is how rare of an opportunity is it? If your not likely get another chance I'd do it no question

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chops24

WKR
I've done this hunt three times and WOW those Ibex are AMAZING animals. The Floridas will humble you and are an amazing experience. I wont/cant tell you how to spend your money, as that is steep for about 15lbs of meat. In this case you will be paying for the experience, and believe me, it will be a great one. If you have any questions and if you need a spotter from the ground (recommended), let me know and I will look at my calendar.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its a depredation tag limited to immature animals which they contacted you for and its still a full non-resident tag price (the same price you pay for unrestricted tags)?

amp713

WKR
Man I don't know, just to have the chance I think I'd toss the money down...

Zbot

WKR
If it was cheaper I'd be all over it....but for that kind of coin its a no-go for me. Plus a 12hr drive.....

Last edited:

Doghed

WKR
I helped a friend do this a few years back. We had to bring down two nannies to qualify for the special billy tag draw. Don't know if they still do it that way for residents. It was a very difficult hunt. Long steep shots. Some of the hardest hiking/climbing you will ever do. It took us two weekends to do it. Tons of fun and a great experience but it didn't cost anything other than the general hunting license. It was easy to justify the effort for the chance to get after a mature male. Since you most likely will never draw the billy tag this is probably your only chance.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I agree it's a hefty price tag it's still the only place that offers an opportunity at ibex. I'm going to have to look into the draw odds for this

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Thats alot of coin to shoot one female Ibex. Seems strange I would not hesitate to spend it on a 'trophy'but on a 'non trophy'it seems like a lot. All depends how and why you hunt and what you want out of it.

I would put that money somewhere else, but thats me

Having lived in Deming and spent time all around the mountain.....I would NOT. As one poster stated....it's about 15lbs of meat. And a Euro skull isn't really all that impressive or interesting. For $2000.....I'd pass.

If you want the challenge, I am not sure what a non res Aoudad tag is? I thought $400oish but I moved from NM in '09. That would be a challenge and a much nicer trophy. Odds of dumping one (I feel) on public is near 10%. Just a few years ago....the Floridas were CRAWLING with juvies and nannies. For a rifle......not very challenging.

jm1607

WKR
If you do it don't you get put in a special draw for a mature billy on top of the immature? That's what I remember at least.. Might be worth it just for that

bradb

WKR
Tough call for me for the money....but I have done the muzzle loader hunt and harvested a goo billy. Drew my first year. You will ahve to way the $$ BUT a truly AWESOME animal and place.