Palo Duro Canyon Auodad

KHNC

WKR
Three of us hunted Auodad last weekend in North West Texas, in the Palo Duro Canyon area. It was our first time hunting sheep of any kind. We all three looked at a lot of rams and tagged out by day two. We werent picky for our first time! lol. This is a super cool animal , and stunning terrain to hunt them in. Great place and i would definitely recommend.

auodad2.jpg
auodad3.jpg
auodad1.jpg
auodad4.jpg
auodad5.jpg

gumbl3

WKR
Was going to try and get drawn for this hunt in early Jan when a couch jumped out in front of my truck in the dark on my way up there in the middle of the night..

Needless to say I only made it as far as the closest dealership the next day. Next year maybe

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like an awesome hunt. Congratulations hope to hunt Aoudad someday soon

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Great pictures and awesome historical country! As far as I know, the biggest horse massacre in U.S. history happened in the Palo Duro canyon. Over 2000 Commanche Indian ponies were killed rather than captured. Congrats on a great hunt!

gelton

WKR
Great place for sure. I have to start applying for this hunt. Only $3 and unlimited audoad either sex.

Oh and congrats on the successful hunt.

rbljack

WKR
congrats! I looked at applying for that hunt last year...but was focusing on elk applications in the western states. SO much research and learning about all the different states application/draw rules. I need to focus some time on the Texas applications this year for sure.

Wapiti1

WKR
Great job. Neat hunt for the offseason. Like everyone else, I've looked at this, but never put in. Need to get in the hat next go around.

Jeremy

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Great pictures and awesome historical country! As far as I know, the biggest horse massacre in U.S. history happened in the Palo Duro canyon. Over 2000 Commanche Indian ponies were killed rather than captured. Congrats on a great hunt!

Yes, this is correct! They slipped in and caught all of the horses. Kept what they wanted and killed the rest. Commanche then had no choice, but to surrender.