First free range TX Aoudad

I harvested my first aoudad last week on a large ranch North of Del Rio. We had a great experience and the guide was awesome. PM me if anyone is interested in guide details. I'll definitely use him again and hope to make Aoudad a yearly or bi-yearly experience.
IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

OP
WrecklessRanch
Not sure on age but he seemed on the younger side for his size. My ram was 30 1/2” but my boyfriend and his business partner were down there a couple weeks before me and they killed a 34” and a 34 3/4”. The place is phenomenal.

How is the meat? I've not heard good things but people in Texas don't know what to do with game meat and either chicken fry or make sausage out of everything.

OP
WrecklessRanch
How is the meat? I've not heard good things but people in Texas don't know what to do with game meat and either chicken fry or make sausage out of everything.

Good to know everyone thinks we eat everything fried down here.

It’s some of the prettiest meat I’ve ever seen. Bacon wrapped a chunk of backstrap and slow smoked it for a good while. Shredded/chopped the meat up and made some awesome tacos. The flavor was great but I can see where it’s going to be challenging to prepare because it really is tough/lean.

Good to know everyone thinks we eat everything fried down here.

It’s some of the prettiest meat I’ve ever seen. Bacon wrapped a chunk of backstrap and slow smoked it for a good while. Shredded/chopped the meat up and made some awesome tacos. The flavor was great but I can see where it’s going to be challenging to prepare because it really is tough/lean.

I'm not trying to disparage the greatest state in the US or the fine people that live here, I was born and raised here and still live in Texas.

I don't know if slow and low, dry heat with a very lean cut of meat is the way to go. Try a medium rare piece and let us know how that is.

I buddy off mine was planning an aoudad hunt and a guy in his office asked if he could have some meat if successful. He asked if the guy had eaten it before and what is opinion was, and he laughed and said no, he was going to feed it to his dog.

It seems these kind of stories are common. It is the one thing that has kept me from spending good money to go chase one of these. I don't want it to be true. I'm looking for that guy who says "That's bullshit, Aoudad taste great!" then I'll go get one.

JPD350

WKR
Here is a pic of a BS backstrap, seared then put in 350 oven for 15 minutes.......absolutely excellent!!

Now I know the sauce doesn't look appetizing but it was very good, it was a reduction of the drippings in the pan, fresh dates and chipotle.

I make lots of prime cubed meat for stew, for the BS I like to cut into 12" or so lengths (they cook better) then I make burger and sausage, both are excellent and no one could tell you what meat they were eating.

Attachments

• 20180222_175135.jpg
    20180222_175135.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 89
OP
WrecklessRanch
I stand corrected since you are one of us.

Maybe it's not the best way to cook it but a dang sure worked and I thought the meat was delicious. I think there are a LOT of people who don't properly care for their carcass and don't know how to cook... Or maybe they are just used to the washed out "flavor" of crap from the grocery store.

Don't get me wrong, aoudad is NOT axis or blackbuck but it's definitely worth the time and trouble to pack out and care for the meat. That said, they are a non-native species so you are not obligated to eat your kill and there would be nothing wrong with caping it out and leaving it for buzzard food.

I'm not trying to disparage the greatest state in the US or the fine people that live here, I was born and raised here and still live in Texas.

I don't know if slow and low, dry heat with a very lean cut of meat is the way to go. Try a medium rare piece and let us know how that is.

I buddy off mine was planning an aoudad hunt and a guy in his office asked if he could have some meat if successful. He asked if the guy had eaten it before and what is opinion was, and he laughed and said no, he was going to feed it to his dog.

It seems these kind of stories are common. It is the one thing that has kept me from spending good money to go chase one of these. I don't want it to be true. I'm looking for that guy who says "That's bullshit, Aoudad taste great!" then I'll go get one.

I'll be the guy that says BS, Aoudad tastes great! In all honesty the 2 rams I have shot were phenomenal. It took some trial and error with how to prepare it with the first one I killed so I can see how people say put in on a plank grill it and throw the meat away and eat the plank. But after figuring it out, I will honestly take it over most anything. In my opinion its best grilled as steaks or in a pot as a roast.

JPD350

WKR
Barbs also make some of the best burgers!!

Attachments

• 20180406_174314.jpg
    20180406_174314.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 33