Sheep Boots

S

slancey

I thought I was the only one wearing White's. I have two pairs, one insulated, one not. They are custom fit and once they're broken in, they do anything one would want to do on foot.

See what fits best and go from there. If it doesn't feel right, it's not going to get better if they're broken in. Boots should feel good from the start. I'm running the Scarpa Rebel GTX's. I put a carbon insole in them from superfeet and they feel like sneakers. The are very comftorable on my feet.

lathrop and sons are awesome. i would defiantly look into them. if nothing else they will help you decide what boot works best for you. great customer service.

Maverick940

Banned
Personally, I wear plastics for pretty much everything in Alaska, unless I have to be crossing water that's knee-height and deeper. But, other than that minor inconvenience, I always wear plastics. However, I never recommend plastics for my hunting clients. The last thing I need is for a client to have foot/ankle issues during the course of a ten-day hunt and if a person doesn't use plastics frequently enough, they're prone to having problems in the field. I tell my guys to stick with their heavy-duty Western hunting boots, like Cabela's Meindl Perfekt and Cabela's Meindl Alaska Hunter. Those work really good. Anyway ......

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran Hanwags for a long time, they are not the most comfy boot for my foot but the sure get the job done, have always stayed waterproof and have good wear life. I did just get a new pair of Crispis thors which are wicked comfy, just not sure how they'll hold up, time will tell

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Just repeating the wise word of Snyd—best fit is the best boot for you. All the ones you’ve looked at are great boots and would be perfect for your intended use if they fit you well. I lsited after a pair of the Lowa Tibet’s when they came out. Made a run to Anchorage and tried a pair, seemed to fit great, did all the typical checks for toe box and all. They were great till I started climbing. They really are phenomenal boots, but not for my feet. The heel cup is too deep and my Achilles’ tendon just above the heel wore out of hide faster than I knew was possible.

For my dogs, the Meindls fit well, as do Scarpas. I have a pair of the Grand Drux I got on clearance, very comfortable and tons of support, but so heavy. My present favorites are the Hanwag Alaskans. I got a pair last February and put between 5 to 15 mountain miles (mostly trails, not loose shale) on them every weekend from Mid-May through October. They held up great and super comfortable, even with heavy moose loads.

Pick The Boots That Fit

I've been away for a awhile, out on a work assignment that had some pretty high security on its internet. I'm a Flatlander, and have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for over seven years now, used them in Hell's Canyon on the Oregon side for my (only one of two?) non-resident tag Bighorn hunt. My guide, and now my friend and with whom I've done several river trips with...wore Chuck Taylor's the entire hunt. He still wears Chuck Taylor's, even when floating the Owyhee/Bruneau/Jarbridge, guiding the famous Unit 11 on the Idaho side, or the various Montana Governor's tags' hunters. Going up and down those ridges along the Imnaha River, Lightning Creek, Rhodes Creek...amazing. Next up was the Yukon in 2012, 2013 and the boots did fine for those two 10-day backpack Dall's and Fannin's hunts. I had to finally send back for re-do of the soles in Spring 2014. Next up was Northern BC in August 2014 in some ridiculously steep country...eleven days of horses and hiking until success on a really dark ram near Gathto Creek...it seemed to rain or sleet every day, and eleven days was tough on all the gear. Next up was back to the Yukon in 2015 and 2016 for Yukon Stone's near Coal Creek and Eagle Creek, and a combo Moose/Fannin's south of Skookum Jim mountain. The boots fit nicely from Day One, and with all my training going up/down the local high school bleachers, then hundreds of miles forward/backward on my elliptical glider...never a blister with the Mtn Extremes. I have sent them back to Bozeman this month to have the soles re-done, second time, and some of the lace hooks finally need replacing. I'll be down in Mexico in December with a couple of guys named Emilio and Renee' for Desert rams. Then back to the Yukon again next year. I believe in those boots and will be using them till they fall apart. Also, priority #1 is get in shape and stay in shape, and train in the boots you're going to hunt in.
"Adapt, Evolve, Compete, or Die"

MtGomer

WKR
The ones that fit you best are the best ones. (Assuming they’re a reputable brand that won’t fall apart).

I just bought Schnees Tetons. I haven’t got to test them yet but they seem solid. I’ve had great luck with the Schnees Granites and with La Sportiva Trango Cubes (the most comfortable boot I’ve ever worn).

One thing that I didn't see anyone mention, if you're buying boots and taking them home to wear around the house, I would be trying them on with aftermarket insoles, they can turn on okay fitting boot into a boot that feels like a dream. You could even take a pair of insoles into the store with you and swap them out if you had to.

I have the Kennetrek mountain extremes and i really like them for the mountains....until I bought the scarpa rebel k. Both fit styles fit my feet well but what I really like about the rebel k is that they are something like 12 oz lighter. I was nervous about ankle support with the shorter boot but it has not been an issue. Also, i noticed that when wet, the kennetreks would stretch and become a little more roomy. the scrapas don't stretch out at all and dry faster. i really didn't think i would like them as much as i do but they are my go to boot now.....maybe i'll try the chuck taylor's next!

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
So here's my question. What boot(s) do not stretch or change when wet? I have some danners that I like but I think I might want to get something else for my bros DCUA motorized hunt.

Snyd

WKR
So here's my question. What boot(s) do not stretch or change when wet? I have some danners that I like but I think I might want to get something else for my bros DCUA motorized hunt.

Plastics

I too have been on a "best boot" hunt for my first time mountain hunting. First choice was KUIU's Scarpa Rebel Ultra GTX. Ordered a size 14, which is what I wear, and I couldn't even get my foot into the built-in gaiter, much less into the boot itself. Seemed like I'd need to be a size 10. I called KUIU and the guy I talked with is also a size 14 and he said he had the same problem. I returned them no hassle other then having to pay for shipping both ways. After a bunch more research and phone calls I settled on Kennetrek Mountain Extremes Non-insulated and they fit perfectly. Thinking they would need some breaking in I've been wearing them on my treadmill and they've felt fine the entire time. Lot's of ankle support which is critical for me as my ankles roll really easily. First time hunting in them will be in May on a Black Bear hunt, then later in the year on a Dall Sheep hunt. Hopefully I've made a good choice.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

GPATTI

WKR
I wore Lowa Tibet GTX on my first sheep hunt (Dall in NWT) last year. They were great. I have nothing to compare to though, as it was my first rodeo with REAL boots. The terrain was absolutely horrendous though!!! They held up nicely. I suggest trying different brands on, and go with what you are most comfortable in, then be sure to break them in!!

elkr4me

FNG
I have 2 pairs of Kenetrek Mnt Extremes...1 pair NI and one pair 400 grams insulated...really love the boots for elk/deer...I used them in NWT on Mnt Caribou and Dall Sheep...I found them a bit soft side hilling...my ankles were shot after 10 days of hunting....I have since bought Schnees Granite II's...have not hunted in them yet but they feel much stiffer than the Kenetreks (which I still love and will use elk hunting). I am hoping they will provide better side hill support...will let you know after this fall in Brooks Range

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Just tried on a pair of La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX. They seemed like they would be a good compromise between stiffness, weight, synthetic materials (some leather stretches when they wet out), and hybrid crampon compatibility. Has anyone used these for Dall Sheep before?

MtGomer

WKR
Just tried on a pair of La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX. They seemed like they would be a good compromise between stiffness, weight, synthetic materials (some leather stretches when they wet out), and hybrid crampon compatibility. Has anyone used these for Dall Sheep before?

I did last August in the NWT.
They are definitely not a winter boot as far as warmth goes but if the weather is somewhat mild, they are the best boot I’ve been worn.

I wear them a lot in Montana too.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

I tried a pair. Really liked the boot in terms of features and design, but they tore the heck out of my heels. I bought mine at REI so luckily I was able to take them back. If they fit you well I think it is a well built boot.