Sheep Boots

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve been working thru lathrop and sons boot fitting program to get boots that fit like a boss. Turns out my feet are different sizes....never knew that until I dove into this with them.

Sandman

FNG
I agree with BRWNBR. I do not think a 13-inch mountaineering boot is necessary for sheep hunting. I have hunted sheep and goats in a variety of boots, both leather and plastic, and even once in Lacrosse rubber boots. My boot selection is very limited because I wear size 15 skis, that are shaped really weird, but I'll offer you my experience.

Snyd is 100% correct in that plastics do maintain the properties you buy them for unlike leathers that soften and stretch after being soaked through, which will very likely happen while you are sheep hunting unless you are LUCKY and it doesn't rain. I have plastic Lowa Civettas and you can't beat them for sidehilling and digging your toes in to shale slides, but they are quite heavy and HOT, especially if you are hunting in August because the inner boot his heavily insulated. I'm not sure how other plastics compare in that regard. Unless you are hunting very late season, I do not think insulated boots are necessary.

I have Kenetrek Mountain Extreme non-insulated boots also. They are good boots, but they have stitching down the center of the rear inside portion of the boot that runs down the achilles tendon and heel that tore the back of my heel up when climbing. Fortunately, I figured this out prior to the season while training. I taped strips of foam to the back of my foot to alleviate the problem. The first pair I had were soaked through once on a spring griz hunt. While spending ALL day on a spotting knob in the blazing sun, they dried out completely and shrunk so much that the toes were completely distorted under the rubber rand. I could barely get my feet back into them. Kenetrek replaced them, and it was probably just an isolated incident, but I no longer wear them.

I've used Bates Tora Boras, another mountaineering boot. Again, very heavy, and warm. They are nice for climbing, but not as much for trekking cross country, which is something that I seem to do a lot of while hunting sheep. I've averaged over 50 miles for the last 3 sheep hunts in the Brooks Range. I've also used a few different Lowas, the boot that I like the best is the best is the Lowa Camino. It is a trekking boot. One of the big differences in the mountaineering vs. trekking vs. backpacking vs. hiking boots is the shank. Much of the rigidity of mountaineering boots comes from the solid 5-7 mm full length shank that runs along the bottom of the boot. The Caminos have a tapered full length shank that gives them more flexibility than a mountaineering boot. I have found them to be plenty stiff enough for sidehilling and digging into steep terrain, and very comfortable for hiking up and down drainages and over hill and dale. These will be my go-to boots for mountain hunts form now on.

You mentioned having wide feet. My buddy has duck feet and swears by the Cabelas Mendl Hunters. He says the fit is better than any boots he has ever tried for wide feet -- might be worth checking into. If you go with leathers, make sure to condition them with Nikwax or similar products (even if new) prior to your trip. Get the leather completely saturated and work the product INTO the leather and let them dry. Wear gaiters to help keep them dry. Although they do add to the weight on your feet, I think they are worth it.

Good luck!

I have never been sheep hunting, but I've done a lot of mountaineering.

I find a lot of the advice dispensed in this discussion baffling. Mountaineering boots are built the way they are (rigid soles, stiff uppers) because of the need to use crampons for travel on steep snow and ice. Does sheep hunting tend to involve front-pointing on crampons?

If you aren't doing a lot of glacier travel, wearing crampons, and front pointing up steep ice, I can't see any benefit at all to wearing heavy mountaineering boots with rigid soles and stiff uppers. The advice to wear plastic mountain boots was particularly puzzling. Even mountaineers hardly wear traditional plastic double boots any more.

Unless you are expecting a lot of front pointing with crampons, a heavy mountaineering boot is overkill. Get a sturdy backpacking boot that fits your foot comfortably with a high enough cut to protect your ankles from talus and scree. You will be able to cover more ground with less fatigue than if you are wearing a full on mountaineering boot.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My experience is Alaska based, but assume other areas for Dalls and Stones would be similar.... The challenge is the terrain you travel in sheep country. Some of the "side hilling done" is pretty intense. Having a stiff boot is a huge help in kicking your toes in, or more likely just the edge of your boot. I've tried to capture the steepness and ruggedness of sheep hunting every trip and always feel like my attempts fail. Its hard to explain without having been there.

The terrain is challenging enough, throw 70lbs on your back (or more) and it gets even more interesting. Stiff boots are a must for steep, loose, terrain, IMHO. Know lots of sheep hunters in Alaska who swear by plastic boots, and they are better hunters than I will ever be.

I take a pair of Salomon XP Pro 3D GTX shoes as my camp shoes. Used to do Crocs, but found the extra weight of the Salomon was worth it. They do ok hiking if I have to use them, or if there is a long section of easier terrain I have to slog through... Perhaps I'll try a plastic boot some day, but for now a good pair of boots like the Crispi Guide or Lowa Tibets are what I prefer.

Snyd

WKR
It also depends on which plastic boot. The Lowa Civettas (green) are more svelt than others. Also the upper cuff isn't as rigid as others. The Civetta Extremes (red) have a warmer insulated inner boot. The Koflach Degre has been a "go-to" plastic for some of the same reasons.

As far as the "why" with plastics for a sheep hunt. support support support! Even after being wet for7-12 days, traversing steep slippery, wet, dry, hard terrain hauling a 60-120lb pack. With plastics a guy can kick-in in steep terrain for footing also.

They aren't for everyone but the Lowa Civetta have worked for me for about 10 years. I have funky weird feet and blister easily. I have never had a blister with the plastics. The liner gives a slip area.

I put a plastic oven bag around the liner which makes the boot water proof. I think the Degre's shell/tongue design is better and more water resistant than the Civettas. Glacier socks can be used for stream walking/river crossings in the same manner.

They are different to walk in but not a biggie for me. Maybe because I've downhill skied for 40years. I'm used to stiff boots. The don't feel foreign or clunky to me.

Not lacing them too tight makes a difference in flatish "tennis shoe" terrain. Round river rock walking I'm a little slower but I'm will to make the trade in the rough terrain.

JohnRP

FNG
I used the kenetrek boots on my sheep hunt and really liked them. They need to be broke in. Kenetrek recommends 50 hours of use. The plastic boots are good but there’s no breaking them in. You’ll either love them or hate them. There was a father and son on the same hunt as me but a year earlier. Both had problems with the plastic boots. The father lost his toe nails and his hunt was over early. It’s hard to beat plastic boots for climbing and if they get wet they are easier to dry out just pull the liner out. Leather boots once they get wet they stay wet. My kenetrek stayed dry for me. I got free gaiters when I bought mine which helped a lot keeping water out. Hope this helps good luck

Jimss

WKR
l've been on a number of sheep and mtn goat hunts over the years. I tried the mtn extremes one day at work on side hills and rock and immediately returned them. The soles are so thick and tall I felt like I was on stilts and was continually having problems staying upright on rocky hillsides...definitely not what I'd want on a sheep hunt!

I have really good luck with Scarpa and Lowa boots. If you need extra ankle support I would highly recommend Lowa Tibets. I prefer medium height and weight hikers that still offer great foot protection plus ankle support but are a chunk lighter in weight. I've used and abused Scarpa Kailash on several Colo and Alaska sheep/mtn goat hunts. I also just bought a pair of Lowa Vantage that are a chunk lighter weight than my Tibets and I've been super impressed. Lowa Caninos are another pair that I would seriously consider.

With that said, the name of the game with most sheep hunts is covering lots of country with a boot that gives enough support for rocky sidehills while providing protection from rocks on the soles. I would also advice trashing the insoles that come with new boots and buy another set of insoles that works best for your particular feet. My feet need additional padding so I also add socks that have additional padding. I also buy boots around 1 side larger than normal so I have plenty of space for thicker insoles and socks.

no_uh

FNG
I've used the Scarpa R-Evolution Trek (from KUIU) and they worked very well. I could've used a little more ankle support in lengthy sidehills and nasty terrain once I was fully loaded with sheep. Other than that, they are great.

ColeyG

WKR
I have never been sheep hunting, but I've done a lot of mountaineering.

I find a lot of the advice dispensed in this discussion baffling. Mountaineering boots are built the way they are (rigid soles, stiff uppers) because of the need to use crampons for travel on steep snow and ice. Does sheep hunting tend to involve front-pointing on crampons?

If you aren't doing a lot of glacier travel, wearing crampons, and front pointing up steep ice, I can't see any benefit at all to wearing heavy mountaineering boots with rigid soles and stiff uppers. The advice to wear plastic mountain boots was particularly puzzling. Even mountaineers hardly wear traditional plastic double boots any more.

Unless you are expecting a lot of front pointing with crampons, a heavy mountaineering boot is overkill. Get a sturdy backpacking boot that fits your foot comfortably with a high enough cut to protect your ankles from talus and scree. You will be able to cover more ground with less fatigue than if you are wearing a full on mountaineering boot.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

I am a longtime climber and mountaineering guide turned mountain hunter and I too am puzzled by a few things in this thread. None more than the endorsement of plastic boots as a sheep hunting tool. If they happen to work for you, cheers and carry on. I definitely don't think trying to fix something that ain't broke is a good idea. Personally I can't fathom the idea though and I've spent many days, weeks, and months in plastic boots.

My preferred mountain hunting boot is the La Sportiva Trango Evo S. Most would categorize this boot as a heavy-duty trekking boot or light-duty technical mountaineering boot. I think it is a perfect choice for the vast majority of terrain encountered on an "average" sheep hunt if there is such a thing.

An article of mine on just this topic, footwear strategy for mountain hunting, should be published by the Journal of Mountain Hunting any day now. Check that out for some additional thoughts relevant to this thread.

elkr4me

FNG
Havent hunted in them yet...but been putting a ton of miles training for sheep hunt this fall...Schnee's Granite II...I have Kenetreks too...really like them but the Schnee's are very comfortable and seems a good deal stiffer...so far hiking with heavy pack...really like them

BRWNBR

WKR
There are outfitters in Alaska for Sheep that require plastic boots for their clients.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sheep Hunting is too broad of a term to nail down boot specifics, IMHO. Sheep Hunting in AZ is different than Sheep Hunting in ID. Even within Alaska the varying terrain can require the hardcore Alaskan Sheep Hunter to own more than one type of boot. I've hunted in terrain where I could wear less of a boot than other terrain. I know hunters who wear plastic boots for ALL the Alaskan sheep hunts they do.

I think the better question focuses on what is the best type of sheep hunting boot for the area you plan to hunt.
i.e. I am going sheep hunting in Alaska and we are going to be hunting the Wrangell Mountains. The guide said his favorite boots are BRAND X, MODEL Y. He said they are the best he has found for the terrain we will be in. He suggested that I look for a boot with similar technical specifications as his, since BRAND X, MODEL Y might not fit me. Hopefully he lists a few alternative options of what he has seen clients wear with good success.

I'd say the guide is trying to set you up for success. Try his boot, see if it fits, if not, try to find one as darn close in terms of specifications as you can. Leather, plastic, brand, not important. Specifications and design tailored to your pursuit, critically important, IMHO.

I tried many a boot before finding ones that fit my needs. The three that fit me best oddly share similar designs and specifications. They just seemed to work in the terrain we wandered around in. Looking back I see this, at the time I did not.

I came to realize that boots wear out quickly in AK Sheep Country. I might get 3 years out of a boot if I was lucky before it started to break down and blisters occurred. At first I blamed the boot, but the pattern was to consistent. Once a good fit was found, they worked great year 1 and year 2. Year 3 is when the problems started, some more extreme than others, but typically for me it was blisters.
I think I got 3 years out of my Cabela's Alaskan Miendls, 2 of them were great, 3rd year was blisters. I then spent a frustrating period burning through boots before Lathrop & Sons fit me to some Lowa Tibets. Got 2 good seasons out the, but by the 3rd they were pretty beat up and blisters came again. I then took the recommendation of my hunting partner and bought some Crispi Guides. Best fitting boot out of the box for me and I am almost through my 2nd year of ownership. If this boot continues to meet my needs I'll stop trying new ones and just replace in kind.....

With all this said, this really only applies to you if you are like me, and we are all pretty different; especially with footwear. :)

ColeyG

WKR
There are outfitters in Alaska for Sheep that require plastic boots for their clients.

I have seen that as well both on the computer and in the hills.

Plastic boots are designed for a few very specific purposes, walking and climbing on snow and ice. That is really it. When used outside of that context, you are using a tool for a purpose other than what is was designed for. Can they work just fine for some folks in different terrain and mediums? Of course. I know a fellow that has climbed Denali a handful of times in bunny boots. That doesn’t mean bunny boots are the best tool for that job.

Personally, I’ll take a boot that is designed to be comfortable on the trail for long miles and that is built for handling steep, rocky terrain and some moderate snow and glacier travel.

I can’t think of one single advantage that plastics have over a well built all mountain boot. The list of disadvantages, in my opinion at least, is quite long.

At the end of the day the task is certainly to find something that works well for you, and we are all built a little different with a wide range of preferences and experiences from which to draw.

Once i went to plastics, I will never go back to leather boots. I see things a little different I guess, but the advantages plastics provide are indispensable for the hunting I do. In fact, all of my hunting in Alaska, I wear plastics.

ColeyG

WKR
Choices these days aren’t just between leather and plastic. Most of the good mountain boots these days are primarily made of synthetic materials.

Might I politely and respectfully ask why you have chosen plastic boots as your mountain hunting boot of choice?

Maverick940

Banned
Choices these days aren’t just between leather and plastic. Most of the good mountain boots these days are primarily made of synthetic materials.

Might I politely and respectfully ask why you have chosen plastic boots as your mountain hunting boot of choice?

No matter what type of big game animal I'm hunting in Alaska, I'm either in hip waders or plastics. Those are the only two types of footwear that I'll wear while hunting in Alaska. I completely agree with Adventure907, in that regard.

BRWNBR

WKR
Heck, for six years I guided every thing with hipboots, including Sheep and mountian goats!! Never had a pair of plastics on my feet. Not avoided, just never the opportunity. I can see how they would outlast a pair of leathers or synthetics though.

Not a problem. Just off the top of my head, here a few of the benefits that lead me to preferring plastics for all of my Alaska hunting. I am sure I could think of more, but it's been a long day, lol.

-Sidehill gouging
-Rigidity in the ankle
-Rigidity in the sole
-Ability to use glacier socks
-Ability to hike long distances in glacier socks, when needed
-Ability to dry faster when wet
-Durability
-Ability to use the inner boot as a camp boot
-Better performance in the scree fields
-Better performance in the snow
-Better protection of the foot when stumbling through the rocks
-Warmth
-I climb better in them than leathers

Of course, there are cons to plastic boots versus the other offerings, but for me plastics are the only way I go.