Sheep Boots

Hi all,

Looking at boots for my sons sheep hunt this fall. We have tried on what seems like everything so far.

Lasportiva's, Lowa's at Barneys, Scarpa Grand Dru's , Scarpa GTX's, and now the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes.

We are both really liking the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes but wonder how they fare vs the true mountaineering boots. I know they won't last as long but will they perform similarly?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have 3 pair to purchase.

Thanks

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack 375, but what were the pros and cons of each for you. I'm in similar situation getting geared up for sheep tag. Have you gone to the Hoarding Marmot, they've been advertising in craigslist with boots for sale.

BRWNBR

WKR
Not on your list but cabelas Alaskan mendiels have been a great mountian boot for me
Stiff but walkable hard sole. No break in. Straight outa the box to the rocks.

OP
Hi, I haven't been there yet. I have debated on it though. Here has been my takeaway.

Service and Knowledge - It has been really tough to get good service and Knowledge. So I have shopped multiple places to try on all the boots. I am up to over a dozen so far.

I love Barneys but they weren't knowledgable on the boots. Pretty much find what fits best and go with it. When your looking for 3 pairs of boots at this kind of price that doesn't work for me.

REI - Mixed bag of service over a couple of trips but the older man working there was great.

AMH was great also if you get Rick.

On to the boots. I have a somewhat wide foot.
Lasportivas - Purchased and wore at home for a few hours. smaller toe box but amazing rigidity. To prevent heel lift I had to lace them differently and tight. This made my darn feet numb so I took them back.

Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX - bigger toe box and fit me better. The heel was smaller than mine and I kept having heel lift issues. I purchased these as well from AMH and the heel was just too tight. I took them back and got the next size up and they seem a lot better. I still don't think the fit is right.

The Lowa Hunters were a sweet boot and my foot fit ok but not perfect. Wider toe box and would feel comfortable right away. I didn't think they would be rigid enough but after talking to many people they seem to do just fine.

Kenetrek I tried on tonight at Sportsmans. Sure feels like a BA boot. loved it actually.

The real deal here is I am a complete rookie at mountain hunting but my 17 year old drew a sheep tag and were going. We are researching everything to death for practicality, durability and weight. I am well equipped for float hunting and River hunting and ATV hunting but haven't ever done it all out of pack and been dropped off by plane to hike. It's all pretty simple but we want to be setup right.

Boots first :)

I am now thinking I am going to do the L&S boot fitting as their boots look pretty sweet. One way or the other one of the 3 of us will end up with a pair of them.
Not to hijack 375, but what were the pros and cons of each for you. I'm in similar situation getting geared up for sheep tag. Have you gone to the Hoarding Marmot, they've been advertising in craigslist with boots for sale.

BRWNBR

WKR
Don’t go into sheep hunting thinking you need a mountaineering boot. I guided Sheep hunters wearing ankle fit hip boots for six years. I know Sheep guides that wear tennis shoes. A stiff leather boot is great. A hard sole is very helpfull for walking on rocks a lot. But you don’t need a ski boot. Often a boot too stiff creates more fatigue as you body has to work harder to use them. Find a comfy fit with good ankle support and you’ll be fine. Being in shape will make a bigger difference than the stiffness of your boots will.

Flojoe

FNG
I don't have much experience with a lot of different boots but I really like my Kennetreks. Used them on my Sheep hunt two years ago and had no issues.

I know I may be the dissenting opinion here, but once I went to plastic boots, I will never go back to leather.

Since you mentioned it, I love my L&S mountain hunter elites and have used them in alaska and in sheep country in Colorado. The boots are great. The only downside will be the cost, after fitting and some custom work you'll be into them for much more than any of the others you mentioned. But I can lace those boots up and not ever worry about issues with my feet anymore, so worth it to me.

The custom fitting through L&S's, while expensive, is very much worth it IMO. The Scarpa's that I had them custom fit for me are some of the most incredibly comfortable boots I've worn, right out of the box. I have been in them a lot the past two seasons, zero blisters and zero discomfort. It's not cheap, but if you can swing it I'd recommend it.

Kimbersig

WKR
my Kennetrek's served me well on a guided Dall sheep hunt in AK and on a DIY Bighorn hunt in Idaho and a Barbary Sheep hunt in NM. I really like them. I just picked up a pair of the Schnee's Granite pros and am really liking them so far. pick the pair the fits each of you best that will be the most important in preventing foot fatigue.

Maverick940

Banned
Not on your list but cabelas Alaskan mendiels have been a great mountian boot for me
Stiff but walkable hard sole. No break in. Straight outa the box to the rocks.

Brown Bear's advice is solid, especially if you're not planning on hunting sheep and mountain goats each and every year. If it's pretty much a one-time deal for you and your son, then I'd go with the Cabela's boot that Brown Bear referred you to. Virtually all of my sheep and goat hunting clients wear that make of boot and they've had no complaints. It's a darn good boot at a reasonable price.

BRWNBR

WKR
I know I may be the dissenting opinion here, but once I went to plastic boots, I will never go back to leather.

How are your plastics on flat ground? Is your Sheep area pretty much all up or down are do you guys cover a lot
Of miles? I’m contemplated trying a plastic, but like everything else “trying” things gets spendy. My Sheep area is a lot of sidehilling and distance. The up and down isn’t anything like my goat area. Lol

White's hand makes their boots in Spokane Washington. They build a great boot and can size it to fit your feet. You can contact them and get directions how to outline your feet and send it to them and they will build you a great boot. I purchased a pair last fall with the Claw lug sole (Best sole I've ever used.) and hunted them hard last fall after deer, antelope, and elk. I really like them and it did not take much of a break-in.

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/product/2382

I started wearing Salewa Crow GTX boots a few years ago and they have been outstanding. They are probably somewhere in the mid range of price for mountain boots. They were what fit me best after trying on LOTS of boots. They have a stiff sole but you can still move your foot, which I've found to be hard to find. The times they are the best are when doing a long 10+ mile hike over rock. They are ideal for a weekend hammering out the resurrection trail with a 30 pound pack. My feet are the least of my worries on those trips.

Your feet were meant to move in all kinds of ways. It's the reason and 25% of your bones are in your feet. The big cast-like boots work for some guys, but they are often times people that have modified their muscles and the way they walk to compensate their feet not moving. I would agree to go simple if you only plan on doing one mountain hunt and don't really hammer out long trail hikes on the regular.

How are your plastics on flat ground? Is your Sheep area pretty much all up or down are do you guys cover a lot
Of miles? I’m contemplated trying a plastic, but like everything else “trying” things gets spendy. My Sheep area is a lot of sidehilling and distance. The up and down isn’t anything like my goat area. Lol

Some of our approach's are long, and some are short. I've never been bothered by doing a long flat ground approach in my plastics, maybe I've just gotten used to them, but a 10-12 mile approach isn't out of the norm, and I will always have my plastics on. They shine when sidehilling as well. The ability to dig in and have maximum stability on a sidehill is one of the biggest benefits I find in my plastics. The glacier sock benefit is also a main selling point for me, but I digress.

I went my Koflach's for all of my hunting these days. The Peninsula and Kodiak for bear, I wear the plastics. Western Alaska for moose, still in the plastics. I just went down to Texas on an Aoudad hunt, first hunt in probably 7 years that I wore leather and I was wishing I had my plastics for the stalk.

Sounds like the wide toe box of the Meindl Perfekt Hunter sold by Cabelas might work for you. I've hunted sheep in them in CO, NV, Alaska, BC and the NWT without complaint. Buy what fits your feet. Good luck on the hunt!

Snyd

WKR
Lot's of well constructed boots out there that will get you there and back again. The best ones are the ones that fit YOUR feet. Sounds like you're on the right track of getting the fit.

Personally I prefer Lowa Civetta plastics. I've used em for years. I need the ankle support. After 5-10 days of being wet the plastic still provides support. Leather gets soft eventually.

Agree with Snyd on this^^ best ones are the ones that fit and feel the best and accomplish the mission. I've worn Meindl's and dancers but now currently run salomon 4D GTX and the Kenetrek Mtn Extreme NI. I just recently purchased the kenetrek's in January but so far I've had zero issues with break and fit and feel great! I've been going on the 3rd season with salomons super comfy, not really waterproof anymore will start to leak pretty much towards the end of a wet day and durability is ok but they're are definitely going to be need replaced probably after this season if they make it.

I wore the salamons on my fathers desert sheep hunt they worked good but i probably could've gone for a little more support such as a kenetrek or other boots mentioned above.

But overall do what works for you and what feels best!

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried Lowa's, Cabelas/Alaskan Meindl, and Crispi's. The Crispi's (made in Italy, very little break-in required) worked best for me. As you know, there are quite a few very good mountain boots but each brand will fit you differently for the most part. I'd try on quite a few and see what feels the best. Then break them in with your full pack, or at least try them with a full pack before your hunt on hilly, rocky terrain.

I have a mid to narrow foot. Lowa's didn't work for me, the Meindl's I actually used on the Talkeetna sheep hunt and caused some problems that I was able to deal with using moleskin. I later purchased my Crispi's for a Montana elk hunt - wish I had them for the sheep hunt.