Best book to bring

wildcat33

WKR
Butchers Crossing - John Williams
Warlock - Wesley Hall
Arctic Dreams - Barry Lopez

Snyd

WKR
When I’m guiding snyd I enjoy books because it gives my mind a break from the stresses of work. If I was on a no pressure no stress solo hunt man I could totally see just hanging out without a book!

Ya, I can see that.

sodak

FNG
“Meditations on Hunting” by Jose Ortega y Gasset. One of the best reads I’ve had.

“History of the Peloponnesian War” by Thucydides. We still act the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Kerry, there must be something that interests you that you would prefer to learn more about? For me, I never enjoyed reading until I found that something and it was Native American history. On reading more about it, I started reading about our country's founding history, and then developed a passion for reading our current history. Don't be surprised if your initial interest ends up becoming a hobby.
Alaska and Me by Billy Molls is a good read on a Midwestern boy "pulled" into Alaska's country to guide hunters
Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rearden. Story about Frank Glaser gets a second recommendation found in this post. Excellent read about a wolf trapper and his never-ending resilience to persevere in Alaska's backcountry.
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. Story about the Lewis and Clark expedition. One of my favored reads
The heart of everything that is by Bob Drury. A story of the Chief Red Cloud and how the Sioux tribe fell to manifest destiny
The Worst Hard time by Timothy Egan. Stories from those who survived the Dust Bowl era
The Big Burn by Timothy Egan. Stories from survivors of the forest fire of the early 1900s in Idaho.
By Honor Bound written by 2 Navy Seals that saved one another's lives in Vietnam. Tom Norris and Mike Thornton
We were soldiers once...and young by Lt. General Hal Moore and Joseph Galloway. The battle of the Ia Drang valley in Vietnam from the 7th Calvary's perspective
The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell. Story is about Heimo Korth and his family living a life of sustenance in Alaska's backcountry for over three decades.

Undaunted Courage is for sure a great read. Another one I'll throw out there is Shadows on the Koyukuk also by Jim Rearden. Story of Sidney Huntington growing up on the Koyukuk River (Huslia and Galena, AK.), in the early 1900's.

oenanthe

WKR
If you enjoy Native American history, I'd recommend Empire of the Summer Moon. It's the story of the Comanche nation and their last chief, Qanah Parker, who was half white.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Here! Here! on Shadows on the Koyukuk. My understanding is that Mr. Huntington in his later years after he was unable to hunt would greet those hunters coming and going from the airport around Galena. After reading his book, I regret not meeting him while he was still alive to speak with such an individual.
Here! Here! On Empire of the Summer Moon as well. I truly hope this thread continues for some time as there are a lot of good reading material listed for those interested.
I'll include one more for those interested in a book about upward mobility in our society and how and why our middle class is shrinking. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. Just read through some of the online reviews and see if such interests you.

Here! Here! on Shadows on the Koyukuk. My understanding is that Mr. Huntington in his later years after he was unable to hunt would greet those hunters coming and going from the airport around Galena. After reading his book, I regret not meeting him while he was still alive to speak with such an individual.
That is true. I had the pleasure of meeting him in '08 when I did my first Koyukuk moose hunt. My hunting buddy and I spent close to two hours talking with him over coffee prior to heading home. He was a very interesting man to say the least and, unfortunately for me, by the time I made it back up there a few years later he wasn't around to chat with, and then he passed a few years after that.

Snyd

WKR
Tons of great Alaskana books out there. Back in the 90's I worked for an Alaskan Publisher/Book Distributor. I ran the one man show here in Fairbanks. I had over 1000 Alaskana books in my warehouse. One that I really enjoyed was Wind on the Water. It's the story of Bud and Elenore Conkle and them carving out a life/home/hunting lodge on Tanada Lake. Also Trail of the Eagle and Hunting, the Way it was in our Change Alaska.

Last edited:

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
That is true. I had the pleasure of meeting him in '08 when I did my first Koyukuk moose hunt. My hunting buddy and I spent close to two hours talking with him over coffee prior to heading home. He was a very interesting man to say the least and, unfortunately for me, by the time I made it back up there a few years later he wasn't around to chat with, and then he passed a few years after that.
That's an experience I am certain you cherished AK Troutbum. And thank you for bringing this book back to my attention as I had to do some digging, but found this book and started reading it again this evening!

The old man and the boy by Robert Ruark. If you love the outdoors and are a mentor or had great mentors, youll probably love it.

Grab a PATRICK F. McMANUS book such as The Grasshopper Trap or any of them that he has written. Short stories using some of his own adventures as a youth. They are hysterical and reading a chapter a night is just about right, or if stuck in a tent you probably won't be able to put it down. Laugh out loud funny! My favorite story which is from this book the Grasshopper Trap is called Gunrunning. It should be titled gunrunning past your wife as a complete title. Great stuff.

CaptainA

FNG
Hey guys going on my first 10 day backpacking dall sheep hunt in nwt this year and want to know your number one book that you would take on rain days. I am definitely not a big reader mostly hunting mags and stuff. What would be your fav number 1 book that you would recommend

Thanks have a great day

Kerry
My best friend of mine also likes hunting. He with his father usually goes hunting and he told me once that if he gets bored he takes his favorite book " Wild Life" Cynthia Defelice. Try it! You may like, a good story about adventure and survival. What kind of challenges does the main character learn? The more important the satisfaction of living off the land. My friend highly recommended it to me. But I prefer to read something different while going to hunt with them. For example, I'm looking for light novel website my favorite genre: adventure. It's pretty the same, but the main characters are not so real as the book I recommend previously. Enjoy reading man and read light novel because there are hilarious topics

Last edited: