Best book to bring

Hey guys going on my first 10 day backpacking dall sheep hunt in nwt this year and want to know your number one book that you would take on rain days. I am definitely not a big reader mostly hunting mags and stuff. What would be your fav number 1 book that you would recommend

Thanks have a great day

Kerry

One of Tony Russ's books about "Hunting Dall sheep in Alaska". Packed it on one of my DIY BC Stone sheep bow hunts. Great reading on a foggy day.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have gone to a PaperWhite Kindle for my hunts now. Works so great...no headlight needed at night. Lightweight with long battery life. Never out of books.
At my sons urging just went back in time and read "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck. Wow, some short chapters hold the depth of an entire novel. I am going to get a used copy on ebay just so I can re-read and underline passages I never want to forget. A wide sweeping masterpiece! He makes you feel guilty for wasting your brain on spy novels off the airport rack.

EastMT

WKR
I like Alaskas Wolf Man. It will make you feel like a sissy when you are sore and tired, motivate you to keep rolling. Some of the stuff those guys did at the turn of the century was tough going.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I brought a small paperback "No Beast So Fierce" by Edward Bunker. Its a crime novel about an ex-con, once he is released from prison. A great read, came in handy one foggy morning.

I've made it a tradition to always take along a fly fishing book, usually by my favorite fly fisherman author, John Gierach. Other than that, the lightest one you can find would be my recommendation. The good news is, even if the book you bring isn't very light, it may very well be worth every oz., if you end up holed up in your shelter for days on end.

BRWNBR

WKR
Alaska Bear Tales by Larry Kaniut

Hahahaha read it after dark. Only.

Lone survivor was one of my favorite tent books

Endurance. Ernest Shackleton story is awesome. Make you feel like a sissy.

The kindle is a better idea than a book. I have had clients that tore out what they read and stuff it in their boots to help them dry after each days reading.

Jauwater

WKR
Currently reading “Modern Man in Search of a Soul” by Carl Jung. I find reading books that make me think, help me fall into the book more when in the back country. Some books just make me anxious to put the book up, and explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brules by Harry Combs. An epic american west novel if you enjoy that sort of thing. No clue why it's never been made into a movie. It would rival Lonesome Dove it it went to film and was done correctly.

Trial153

WKR
I have read the LOR every early fall since 86, i was in 7th grade....great book to have on your kindle for an adventure in the Mountains.

Wapiti1

WKR
As I recall, I read the Simarillion while on the mountain. I took a Kindle. Lightweight, durable, and easy to read in any light.

Also take a write in rain notebook and pen to jot down your adventure while waiting out the storm. I split my time writing and reading. So many little things happen that I would never remember otherwise.

Jeremy

Snyd

WKR
Call me crazy but I don't get why someone would want to go into the sheep mtns to read a book or listen to an iPod. No matter what the weather does. I prefer my own experience rather than reading about someone else's. Part of being on a 10 day mtn hunt is getting away from the constant noise of society. We have forgotten how to just "be". We are a society that for some reason needs a steady stream of stimulation going into the brain. It would do most of us some good to spend some time "being bored", doing nothing in the fog, rain in a tent on a mtn. It's just another part of the experience like being totally physically drained but having to push on. Here's an idea, take some paper and a pencil and write your own book, your own story if you can't handle some down time.

BRWNBR

WKR
Call me crazy but I don't get why someone would want to go into the sheep mtns to read a book or listen to an iPod. No matter what the weather does. I prefer my own experience rather than reading about someone else's. Part of being on a 10 day mtn hunt is getting away from the constant noise of society. We have forgotten how to just "be". We are a society that for some reason needs a steady stream of stimulation going into the brain. It would do most of us some good to spend some time "being bored", doing nothing in the fog, rain in a tent on a mtn. It's just another part of the experience like being totally physically drained but having to push on. Here's an idea, take some paper and a pencil and write your own book, your own story if you can't handle some down time.

When I’m guiding snyd I enjoy books because it gives my mind a break from the stresses of work. If I was on a no pressure no stress solo hunt man I could totally see just hanging out without a book!

oenanthe

WKR
I like this quote a lot: "No matter what the weather does. I prefer my own experience "

I read a lot of books, but not in the backcountry. When would I find the time? On a sheep hunt I'm either hiking or glassing 12-14 hours a day, there's 2 hours of camp chores, and the rest of the time I'm sleeping.

There's not too many days I get completely weathered in, but when it happens I tend to sleep a lot - an awful lot. And I usually keep a written journal (on the blank side of topo maps); those entries can get pretty long on rainy days.

Your crazy! :) I never brought a book until about 3 or 4 years ago. I just found that I really enjoy doing a little reading along with sipping on a hot adult beverage before going to bed. For me it's just a nice way to end the day.

Bambistew

WKR
I'm with Snyd. No book for me. On the rare occasion I'm weathered in, I don't mind sleeping or just doing nothing. That and I don't want to pack a book on a sheep hunt... I already cut the handle off my toothbrush.

colonel00

WKR
I don't have a specific recommendation. I just go to the local Saver's thrift store and get a paperback book. I typically don't expect the book to make it back, at least whole. As I'm reading, I use the pages to start fires.

A book is a great way to pass the time when the weather is the suck. Plus, since it has multiple uses, that adds some value to bringing one.