AZ bighorn sheep points

RoJo

WKR
Is anybody else here accumulating points for bighorn sheep in AZ? I have 20 points going into the draw this year. Certainly not enough points to guarantee anything, but I keep hoping for a tag before I'm too old.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I am only at 12, still some time to go for me. I bought a lifetime license before I left for the Army so at least I get res odds

Maverick940

Banned
Teamvit:

You could draw with 12 Bonus Points, as a non-resident. Non-residents have drawn with less than that. However, it requires some strategy when submitting your permit application. There's no guarantees anymore in Arizona's permit allocations for big game. The allocation structure has been radically changed and the allocation percentage structure was significantly changed in 2016. So, there's no guarantees anymore, no matter if it's deer, elk, sheep, or whatever. You could draw a big game tag at any time with the new draw structure.

Maverick

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
Of course there is always a chance, I will be putting in again in June. I struck out for Elk and Antelope.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yep. While it seems futile, I hold out hope. My wife said yes, and that proves a formerly fat, somewhat intelligent, yet not attractive guy can overachieve. I figure AZ might take pity as well. They did not show any love in the elk or antelope, once again.

Come on random tag!

That said, I hope you the best with 20 points. Please post a report when you draw.

Jeremy

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
Well, I struck out on elk and antelope as well (and I had 18 points for antelope), if that makes you guys feel any better. :)

Thanks, and best of luck to you all too!

Maverick940

Banned
Well, I struck out on elk and antelope as well (and I had 18 points for antelope), if that makes you guys feel any better. :)Thanks, and best of luck to you all too!

Don't feel bad. One of my hunting clients now has 28 sheep points and he still can't seem to draw a tag (lol).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe I have 19. I understood what to do under the old point system. Seems like I can have a chance in any unit now in which non resident tags are available???

Maverick940

Banned
I believe I have 19. I understood what to do under the old point system. Seems like I can have a chance in any unit now in which non resident tags are available???

Yes, that's correct. Under the new system that was authorized by the Game Commission and implemented by the Department in 2016, you now stand a chance to draw in any unit that has a non-resident allocation. I heard of a non-resident who drew a unit out west of town and who only had four (4) Bonus Points. I'd have to look that back up, but it really surprised me when I heard about it. He killed a really nice ram out there, too.

BuzzH

WKR
I drew a NR AZ tag in 2012 with 11 points, way before the new draw system.

Spent 14 days prior to the season scouting. According to the population estimates, I found a vast majority of the rams in the unit.

IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IIRC, I saw 45 different rams, of those there were 4 that stood out.

Within the first hour of the season, I took the ram that I thought was the best out of what I scouted. I scouted 12 of the 14 days solo, and had a buddy from AZ come up the day before opener to lend a hand.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

I've been applying for a Rocky Mountain bighorn tag in AZ since 2012 and have 7 points already for those, 5 plus hunters ed and loyalty.

I think AZ is going to give me a Rocky tag too. Az has been good to me, 4 NR rifle bull elk tags, desert sheep, 3 late coues tags, and several Javelina tags.