DIY sheep

^^Not much correct in the above post other than if you apply for one of the sheep draw tags in AK you need to do so through an outfitter as a NR.

The only thing that was off was the non resident license cost. I orginally posted the non resident alien license cost and have since edited it. What else is not accurate? Bush flights aren't cheap, and neither are flights to Alaska. All of the non resident tags doubled in cost in 2017.

204guy

WKR
You state all NR sheep tags are are draw that's incorrect. You could get flight cost to 5k I suppose but you'd have to go out of your way to do so.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
You're right, not all areas are draw tags for non residents, but they should be.
Yeah that's one of the reasons I responded. There was a pretty obvious agenda showing with lots of misinformation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've arrowed two bighorns in the lower 48. a 10 year old beauty, and a 12+ slammer. Have fun, I hope you draw sooner than later.

Snyd

WKR
The only thing that was off was the non resident license cost. I orginally posted the non resident alien license cost and have since edited it. What else is not accurate? Bush flights aren't cheap, and neither are flights to Alaska. All of the non resident tags doubled in cost in 2017.

Not to mention 20K for the hunt. oofta

Snyd

WKR
I think they should be for residents too it's a resource that gets more and more pressure on it every year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You are wrong. Before you go making a false statement and drawing a conclusion based on that fallacy, you need to do some reading and educate yourself.

Fact is the number of sheep hunters has been declining over the past 20 years. However, according to Alaska Fish and Game.... "Interestingly, the number of nonresident hunters seems to remain stable regardless of the overall fluctuation of hunter numbers."

ADF&G has all the stats. You can read all about it here on page 10... http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/dallsheephunting/pdfs/dalls_sheep_news_winter_2017.pdf

One thing that hasn't changed over the last 20 years is that the State sells an unlimited number of non-resident, over the counter sheep tags each year. That's what drives the guide industry. Fact.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks great read from my quick scan I found it interesting that residents harvest rates are so poor. Sheep population is trending down and the last few years harvest rates were up. Non-residents kill more sheep because they are required to hunt with guides.
If hunter numbers are steady and sheep population numbers are holding then tag numbers should be the same for a draw system. I don't see why your upset that it's ok to discuss sheep draw tags for non resident but that it should never be option for residents.

I'd take a draw over the rule they slipped in, making non-residents that hunt with next of kin to put both tags on one animal. At least then I could hunt with my family, without feeling like I'm burdening them. But, it seems these rules are based more on outfitter greed than science. I will admit I've been blessed to hunt AK with family. Hunts such as sheep and goat would still be a dream for me otherwise!

Snyd

WKR
Thanks great read from my quick scan I found it interesting that residents harvest rates are so poor. Sheep population is trending down and the last few years harvest rates were up. Non-residents kill more sheep because they are required to hunt with guides.
If hunter numbers are steady and sheep population numbers are holding then tag numbers should be the same for a draw system. I don't see why your upset that it's ok to discuss sheep draw tags for non resident but that it should never be option for residents.

I'm not upset about talking about draw tags. I merely pointed out that your statement that there is more pressure every year on the resource is wrong. Therefore your conclusion based on that statement (go to draw tags only) is baseless. We already have areas of the state that are draw only. At this point there is no data to support a solid reason for going to draw statewide. A few years back there were several areas that went from general harvest to draw only. The reason?, for years the areas were hit too hard by the guide industry. They were allowed to kill as many rams as they could. The only limitation was how many hunters the guides could handle. Master guides with several assistant guides guiding hunters for 40 days a year for years, multiplied by numerous guide outfits eventually takes its toll.

Guides like Jake here are a different breed. He actually accompanies his clients in the field. He doesn't have 6 assistant guides doing the guiding while he flys everyone in and out like a lot of these outfits do. How'd you like to come to AK to hunt sheep as a NR with your "state required guide" only to find out that your "guide" is a NR college kid from Alabama taking year off school. Your Alaskan Master Guide of 25 years that charged you $15-20,000 is basically the pilot that flys you in and out of camp. It's quite a racket really. I lean more towards not requiring a guide for sheep and the state putting a cap on the number of NR tags is sells.

You need to do some research. This topic has been hammered for years.

Bambistew

WKR
I'd take a draw over the rule they slipped in, making non-residents that hunt with next of kin to put both tags on one animal. At least then I could hunt with my family, without feeling like I'm burdening them. But, it seems these rules are based more on outfitter greed than science. I will admit I've been blessed to hunt AK with family. Hunts such as sheep and goat would still be a dream for me otherwise!

Shared bag limit was rescinded last year.

Shared bag limit was rescinded last year.

Really!, When did that come about. Neither my Brother-in-Law or a High School buddy that lives up there knew about it if that's right. Man if that is true you just made my year. I'll start putting in for the road system goat hunt again. I stopped because it would have been unfair to my Brother-in- Law

Bambistew

WKR
It was never implemented. It was approved, with a tenative date of 2018-2019, but they pulled it last year. The only change for sheep is 1 per 4 years for NR.

DuaneZ

FNG
DIY NR sheep hunt is possible if you do your homework before the hunt, get in great shape, and have time (weeks possibly). I drew in CO 2 years ago and couldn't find an outfitter so I ended up doing it on my own unsuccessfully. But I don't regret the experience.