DIY sheep

Will_m

WKR
Anyone ever done anything like a DIY sheep hunt as a non-resident? How did it go?

204guy

WKR
Lots of guys do them. The only lower 48 hunt that requires a guide that I know of is the outfitter pool in NM. Alaska and all of Canada require a guide for NR. You don't hear much about it because there's only like 200 NR sheep tags issued in the lower 48 every year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Lots of guys do them. The only lower 48 hunt that requires a guide that I know of is the outfitter pool in NM. Alaska and all of Canada require a guide for NR. You don't hear much about it because there's only like 200 NR sheep tags issued in the lower 48 every year.

That's what I expected. Also, I would imagine for a NR taking off a couple of weeks and going to some spot they picked out on map that looked sheepy would probably make for a tough hunt. Overgeneralized, I know, but compare that to a resident who (1) can likely get a tag far easier and (2) has better means to hunt throughout the season.

Everything I have seen show less than 5 percent draw odds as a NR, even with substantial points.

204guy

WKR
It's actually likely the other way around. Due to the cost and improbability of getting a tag most NR are going to take a tag very seriously. For residents in some states the cost to apply is very low so they throw their name in the hat. This gets some that don't really care.

ndbuck09

WKR
I think a NR sheep tag is totally doable. If you spoke to Biologists and did some research like that then spent 2-3 weeks in a unit with decent sheep numbers and really sat behind the glass, I don't see how you wouldn't get on something. I think the time to allocate to the hunt is probably the difficulty for folks, including myself.

JP100

WKR
Anyone ever done anything like a DIY sheep hunt as a non-resident? How did it go?

What species/state you talking about?!?!

As I know there is only one OTC option for non res, all the rest are years++++ to get a tag, and by the time people get a tag they are usually happy to pay for a guide.

Trial153

WKR
They get done every year in the lower 48, not sure what the question is?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted bighorns on my own with my recurve in Colorado. Came o so close but did not end up shooting a ram. Would love to do it again.

Last edited:
I got a NR DIY archery Desert Bighorn in Nevada in 1991. I had good advice on where to hunt from the Biologist teaching the one day mandatory orientation class in Las Vegas two days before the season started. I also had offers to help at the sheep banquet that evening sponsored by the Fraternity of Desert Bighorn Sheep (or something like that). All in all, a lot of good info for a dang lucky lottery winner. It gets even better as two of my buddies went along for the first week of my hunt, and one had drawn the NR tag the year before and had spent a week scouting and a few hours hunting on opening day before he pulled the trigger on a great ram. Lucky, lucky, lucky!!!

Last edited:
As a follow up, I reciprocated by helping a few lucky NR archery sheep hunters that drew a bighorn tag in CO in a unit I worked in and had arrowed two rams in. So yes, even NR bowhunters get "DIY" rams, usually with the help of friends that love to hunt sheep. My definition of DIY is not guided, yours may be different. It certainly doesn't mean going into an area blind without talking to anyone, and likely not solo....although I have hunted sheep many days solo in CO and BC.

That's what I expected. Also, I would imagine for a NR taking off a couple of weeks and going to some spot they picked out on map that looked sheepy would probably make for a tough hunt. Overgeneralized, I know, but compare that to a resident who (1) can likely get a tag far easier and (2) has better means to hunt throughout the season.

Everything I have seen show less than 5 percent draw odds as a NR, even with substantial points.

Alaska residents get a general harvest tag for sheep with their license. Granted, not all areas are general harvest, and as you would expect, any general harvest area close to the road system sees a lot of pressure.

It's actually likely the other way around. Due to the cost and improbability of getting a tag most NR are going to take a tag very seriously. For residents in some states the cost to apply is very low so they throw their name in the hat. This gets some that don't really care.

A lot of the non resident draw permits for sheep in Alaska require a guide agreement before even putting in for the tag. This basically means that if you draw the tag, you already have a guide lined up to take you on the hunt. Hopefully you have a wad of cash saved up if this happens. Especially since your flights to Alaska, and then out in a bush plane, are probably going to set you back at least $5k alone. NR hunting license is $160, NR sheep tag is $850. All of the non resident sheep tags are draw tags and have to be applied for. I would imagine that you only pay the cost of the tag if you succesfully draw it. Don't quote me though, as I have never applied as a non resident. However, you do have to have a valid license for the current year, or the year you are applying for, to even put in for the draw. So, at a minimum, you are spending $160 plus the draw tags you put in for.

Dall Sheep Hunting Opportunities in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
^^Not much correct in the above post other than if you apply for one of the sheep draw tags in AK you need to do so through an outfitter as a NR.

BuzzH

WKR

Draw odds are not good and haven't been for a long time. I'll be applying in Montana this year, for the 37th year in a row as a max point holder.

But, IMO, sheep are maybe a bit tougher to hunt physically, but they are not really tougher to find than any other animal. In many cases, they are much easier to find since you can eliminate a lot country in most hunting units where you likely would never find one. In transplanted herds, they are often wayyyy easier to find since they tend to stick to core areas. Its also very common for the various GF agencies/biologists to have pretty specific harvest data that they share with tag holders. You can really start narrowing down places to look long before you ever step foot in the unit.

When I drew my desert tag in AZ in 2012, I had a lot of my "scouting" done prior to being in the unit. I had 7-8 years worth of harvest data, had talked to a couple previous tag holders, looked at maps, etc. etc. I hit the ground 12 or so days prior to the opener and found a majority of the rams in the unit. I shot my sheep within the first hour of the season.

Pretty much did the same thing when my Dad drew Montana. Picked apart the data way ahead of time, made one summer scouting trip. In fairness, I was born in Montana and know most of the sheep units pretty well. Did the same thing when a good friend of mine from AK drew Montana as well.

Results of DIY sheep hunts:

My Dad's ram:

Alive the day I found him:
IMG_0693.JPG

A few days later...turned out being an all-time B&C ram 183 and change net:

IMG_0763.JPG

Friends ram from MT, was over 40" on the long horn and 10.5 years old, didn't quite net into the all time book, just missed 179 and change:

tomsram3.jpg

My desert ram, I never officially taped it, but the AZGF put a quick tape on it when I checked it in Kingman...166ish.

IMG_0988.JPG

I did draw a ewe permit one year in Montana on a second choice quite a few years ago, one day deal.

buzz89sheep.JPG

Dad drew a ewe permit while on his 7 year waiting period from drawing a ram tag, same thing, one day deal:

199.JPG

Drawing the tag is the toughest part in the lower 48. Besides the wilderness in WY (guide or resident required while hunting), I think most the hunts are very doable DIY. I have helped on an OR ram hunt and it was a great experience without a guide. I hope to draw here someday myself. If I finally draw in UT or NV, those will be DIY (with a few friends or family). I've been on two successful Dall hunts in AK DIY (with my Brother-in-Law). They are very doable, but they were both very tough physically and mentally. We backpacked in for 7-10 days on each of those. Some AK outfitters are trying to stop people with relatives from getting to do this, so these hunts may turn out to be a thing of the past. They already managed to get a rule through that requires me to punch my tag and my brother-in-Law to punch his tag if I shoot a sheep. (two tags, one animal?). Sorry to get side tracked :( . Overall if you can draw a tag in the lower 48, the hunts are designed for success, as most are a OIL tags. MT's unlimited hunts and a few of the other tough opportunity hunts are definitely exceptions to this, and have super low success rates.
The OIL sheep hunts are so tough to draw that once you do, people are more than willing to help, just to be a part of such a special opportunity!

Jimbob

WKR
Meateater had a good podcast about the unlimited areas in Montana. Check it out if you're interested in that.

Snyd

WKR
^^Not much correct in the above post other than if you apply for one of the sheep draw tags in AK you need to do so through an outfitter as a NR.

You can apply on your own online just like a Resident.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/a...DFBF705465E9CF0/2018-2019_draw_supplement.pdf

Guide-client contracts required for nonresident hunts
All nonresidents hunting big game species that require an Alaska-licensed guide must have a signed guide-client contract before or at the time of application. These hunts are identified with the “handshake” symbol shown at right.
Select a registered or master guide who is currently registered for all or a portion of the Guide
Use Area (GUA) where you wish to hunt and for the year the permit is valid. Obtain the guide’s unique verification code (provided to the guide by Big Game Commercial Services Board). You are required to enter the guide’s unique verification code at the time of application.
If you are hunting with a registered guide, check the box for Registered Guide when you apply and enter the guide’s unique verification code. If you fail to provide this information, your application may be rejected.