Sheep on the Brain....

amp713

WKR
I just want the opportunity to taste sheep on a mountain he was harvested on...

BRWNBR

WKR
Sheep tenderloin, flash fried in its own Sheep fat with a touch of garlic salt is off the chain. Render down some fat in that jet boil, cut that loin real thin, cooks super fast, hit it with salt as it’s on its way to your mouth....ohhhh man.

I just want the opportunity to taste sheep on a mountain he was harvested on...

Pretty hard to beat for sure.
e1afa76978877096fe82f60c7cbc8888.jpg

a7bd07dd9e261581b75781d7002ef2da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
adventure907
Sheep tenderloin, flash fried in its own Sheep fat with a touch of garlic salt is off the chain. Render down some fat in that jet boil, cut that loin real thin, cooks super fast, hit it with salt as it’s on its way to your mouth....ohhhh man.

BRWNBR makes a great point. Sheep fat is the ideal fat for rendering. The lady I sheep hunt with is very particular about keeping all of the good fat as possible on a sheep. The spider web fat that surrounds the stomach and kidneys is her favorite. She uses this fat to fry biscuits in along with other assorted goodies. The key is to keep the fat as clean as possible and imperative not to taint it with blood.

We also keep the heart (my favorite), liver, oysters, tongue, stomach fat, and sometimes even the jowl meat.

ljalberta

WKR
Crappy photos, but can't wait to get out there again this year! Can't shoot one myself this year, but hopefully can be an extra sets of eyes and legs!

Gbjwmjo.jpg

H9W4awx.jpg

gl5y4wN.jpg

OP
adventure907
Well, apparently I still have sheep on the brain again today, because here I find myself looking at pictures from last year.

Here's my personal ram from last season...

YeD7Gg4l.jpg

jeTw6xfl.jpg

Snyd

WKR
Gonna have to try BRWNBR's recipe in the MSR Reactor.

Oh ya.... ribs and heart from a couple different mtn ranges.

shp_Fst_02.jpg

shp_Fst_03.jpg

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve never hunted Sheep where there’s wood for a fire!! Lol
Synd I love those grips on your pistol...very sharp. Did you make them up yourself or have someone else work them?

Jimbob

WKR
oh man this is too much.

Sheep ribs and tenderloin over an open fire and thin steaks deep fried in sheep fat has my mouth watering. I think I will eat a 1/4 of the sheep before I get it off the mountain.

Snyd

WKR
I’ve never hunted Sheep where there’s wood for a fire!! Lol
Synd I love those grips on your pistol...very sharp. Did you make them up yourself or have someone else work them?

They were done by Rob Rowen, one of the best custom grip makers out there. He is the only one to have been able to study under Roy Fishpaw who is probably the premier custom grip maker in our lives. Roy and Rob are true artists at their craft. Men worthy of cutting up a set of ram horns! :D

ROWEN CUSTOM GRIPS, LLC - Home

I supplied him with horns from a small ram I killed in the Brooks years ago and worked out a deal. He could have been a "gotcha" ram. I shot him as full curl and F&G sealed him as such. I must say... it was a "whew.." moment! I had him as a euro mount for a few years now the hunt is memorialized on my custom 500 Linebaugh.

Rob requires the whole gun to make grips. Some grip makers will allow you to just send the grip frame. Rob cuts the horn then ages the slabs then has them stabilized. Horns need to be aged/dried for at least 3-4 years before he'll cut them. I sent him a tracing of my hand which he compares to his own hand makes the grips accordingly. He adds palm swell and contours them in a way that makes a huge difference ih handling the recoil. Truly amazing. The fit to the frame is impeccable.

Pics don't do the horn justice. Sheep horn is really awesome. It's the new Ivory. I'd love to have some BigHorn grips on a stainless gun.

P5100001.jpg

P5100003.jpg

P5100004.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Last year's hunt will be hard to top,, this Booner is my best to date and he has been the tastiest too. Have a Kodiak Tag and air booked for the Wrangels so I'm stoked for 2018.

Ch2n9ugh.jpg

2SJeHmEh.jpg

oYFjyomh.jpg

OP
adventure907
Last year's hunt will be hard to top,, this Booner is my best to date and he has been the tastiest too. Have a Kodiak Tag and air booked for the Wrangels so I'm stoked for 2018.

Ch2n9ugh.jpg

2SJeHmEh.jpg

oYFjyomh.jpg

Looks delicious Steve!! Something about cooking over an open fire to bring our inner caveman to light!

Booner you say, ok, now ya gotta throw some numbers at as. Age, length, bases, score? I love hearing about the big rams. You'll have a great time in the Wrangel's. My favorite range to sheep hunt.

Last edited:
OP
adventure907
Anybody else with sheep pictures, post em up?!?!

It's been a long winter, the sheep hills are calling.

71wchw8l.jpg

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Looks delicious Steve!! Something about cooking over an open fire to bring our inner caveman to light!

Booner you say, ok, now ya gotta throw some numbers at as. Age, length, bases, score? You'll have a great time in the Wrangel's. My favorite range to sheep hunt.

Fish and Game kid aged him at 9, 39 7/8 on the strong side and bases over 14.5, really carried his mass all the way out. right at 170 as I remember. Don't have the sheet with me and my old timers is kicking in. No monster, but a trophy to me.

This year may be my last OTC hunt, so it will be bittersweet. I will have to live the hunt through you young guns.

OP
adventure907
Fish and Game kid aged him at 9, 39 7/8 on the strong side and bases over 14.5, really carried his mass all the way out. right at 170 as I remember. Don't have the sheet with me and my old timers is kicking in. No monster, but a trophy to me.

This year may be my last OTC hunt, so it will be bittersweet. I will have to live the hunt through you young guns.

Great Ram!! Once I started killing a few big one's, I find them much more interesting, lol.

And easy now on the young guns line, lol. Pushing 40, I don't feel quite so young anymore, but I'll keep hunting sheep as long as my body will let me.

cruzer17

FNG
We passed on these two last season. ...just too close to pull the trigger. Thoughts? No sheep on the stick for this guy, just lots of counting in my sleep.
6efdacf5f42bdf3d4ee11d1ae2c8749f.jpg
8f1ed9858a74d14ef599e4a8e9a086dd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk