Alaska 13a over the counter sheep hunt

Ive been thinking about doing a diy over the counter sheep hunt in 13a. Just curious if anyone has hunted this area before and could maybe help me out a little. I plan on taking a couple hikes this summer and scout a little. Im just not to sure on the area. I looked up the statistics on 13a and seems like a decent amount of sheep in there. Are there any decent lakes or runways to access areas or is it gonna be a long hike in from the hwy? Ive been back in there a couple times in the winter on my snowmachine. Any info is appreciated. Feel free to PM if you want.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive been thinking about doing a diy over the counter sheep hunt in 13a. Just curious if anyone has hunted this area before and could maybe help me out a little. I plan on taking a couple hikes this summer and scout a little. Im just not to sure on the area. I looked up the statistics on 13a and seems like a decent amount of sheep in there. Are there any decent lakes or runways to access areas or is it gonna be a long hike in from the hwy? Ive been back in there a couple times in the winter on my snowmachine. Any info is appreciated. Feel free to PM if you want.
I've never hunted sheep but know for a fact those that do are a tight lipped bunch. Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
NorthernAK
I've never hunted sheep but know for a fact those that do are a tight lipped bunch. Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah i hear ya. Completely understandable. Just need a slight push in the right direction haha.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
All trails have a lot of pressure, it’s unit 13 after all.

Legal age or curl rams are generally killed that year. The area has been scouted with a cub enough that you aren’t going to find a unicorn.

Where the wheelers stop, the super cubs start.

Be on the trigger August 10th @ 12:01 AM or hunt it after the 20th.

Try to be done with your hunt before DC485 opens.

OP
NorthernAK
All trails have a lot of pressure, it’s unit 13 after all.

Legal age or curl rams are generally killed that year. The area has been scouted with a cub enough that you aren’t going to find a unicorn.

Where the wheelers stop, the super cubs start.

Be on the trigger August 10th @ 12:01 AM or hunt it after the 20th.

Try to be done with your hunt before DC485 opens.

Thanks for the response. Yeah i noticed a ton of trails over by Chickaloon. Im not gonna be to picky on finding a giant. Just something legal. I got a buddy with a plane so i might go that route. Ive never looked into this area so just putting feelers out there. Completely forgot about the 485 hunt. Definitely makes sense to get in and done before that opens. Thanks for your time SLDMTN.

duchntr

WKR
One of the best parts of sheep hunting is all the scouting/work it takes to find spots that pay off, I won't rob you of that feeling lol. Seriously though look over topo maps and google earth make note of places that look good. Then start checking each spot off the list by putting eyes on the country, eventually you will find what you are after.

BRWNBR

WKR
Rams are where you find them. When you hit a pressured area hunt them outside the box. Sheep will adapt to pressure. Don’t do what everyone else is doing expecting different results.

OP
NorthernAK
Ive been pouring over maps. Actually found a map of mineral licks in certain areas. Gonna try and check out those areas. Thanks for the advice guys.