NM Feb 2019 Barbary Hunt Drawn Units 32/34/36/37

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
NM released draw results today and got third choice for Barbary aka Aoudad sheep. I really like having an "off-season" hunt to fill in what is usually dead time between fall big game hunts and spring turkey hunts. The hunt is for all 28 days of February 2019 and there are 675 tags in play.

I hunted aoudad in TX a few years ago on state land near Del Rio with a drawn tag. TX hunt was free range, no feeders. I was able to locate and harvest a 30" ram. Covered a lot of miles hiking in u-shape two and three hour loops. So many thorns and agave points. Was cold on that hunt so no rattlers encountered.

Am edging towards 60 so may opt for a guide. No mobility issues for me but a long pack out might tweak my back and slow things to almost a crawl.

I will get the OnXMap chip for NM and start e-scouting to look for ridges and ravines that hold some food sources. Have heard some good things about 32 and 34 so will see what I can dig up with a prior hunter or two.

Will post again as get closer to the hunt.

Kimbersig

WKR
make sure you check onx to see if they have the most recent BLM/Private Land swaps for hunting. They have made some large chunks of BLM closed to hunting in exchange for some Private Land that is now open to hunting. my opinion is that the private land holders got a much better deal and got better sheep country than what was given to public land hunters.

OP
TreeWalking

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
make sure you check onx to see if they have the most recent BLM/Private Land swaps for hunting. They have made some large chunks of BLM closed to hunting in exchange for some Private Land that is now open to hunting. my opinion is that the private land holders got a much better deal and got better sheep country than what was given to public land hunters.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Seems is an easy trespassing trap for BLM to not be, well, BLM land for public hunting.