2018 Montana Unlimited Gear

sodak

FNG
Getting ready to put the stamp on my Montana application for an unlimited sheep hunt.

For a season starting in the middle of September, can I cut some weight and room by taking a rain resistant puffy vs a light weight puffy and a rain jacket?

I’m also looking at several 15 degree sleeping bags as well as a tent. Experienced suggestions would be welcome.

This endeavor has consumed a lot of my time over the past few years. Bumping up my workouts, maps, reading, etc, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I would want a hard shell, I’ve been in that area in July and have been snowed on with below freezing to sleet rain.

Logan T

WKR
I would definitely NOT try to cut weight by substituting a "resistant" puffy for a puffy and rain jacket, especially in the 500 units. That could be a life threatening decision, let alone a hunt cancelling decision, if it decides to rain or snow. While I haven't chased sheep in the unlimiteds, I have spent a lot of time up there (in one unit in particular- but again not chasing sheep) during the summer and fall and it has always seemed to rain/snow almost every time.

The 15 degree bag would just depend on the seasonal temps and what the forecast looks like. If I was chasing sheep, I'd probably take my 0 degree bag- and mine is an old Kelty, so it's not as lightweight as the newer bags- but I'd take it anyway. As for the tent, for me that would pretty heavily weigh on what the forecast looks like. If it is a drawn out summer I wouldn't have a problem taking my mega tarp or a lightweight tent, but if fall is coming early, I'd step up into something heavier. i.e. a hilleberg or stone glacier's new tent.

The 500's aren't something to try to 'get by with' with gear, but then again you may be looking elsewhere. Good luck to you!

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely NOT try to cut weight by substituting a "resistant" puffy for a puffy and rain jacket, especially in the 500 units. That could be a life threatening decision, let alone a hunt cancelling decision, if it decides to rain or snow. While I haven't chased sheep in the unlimiteds, I have spent a lot of time up there (in one unit in particular- but again not chasing sheep) during the summer and fall and it has always seemed to rain/snow almost every time.

The 15 degree bag would just depend on the seasonal temps and what the forecast looks like. If I was chasing sheep, I'd probably take my 0 degree bag- and mine is an old Kelty, so it's not as lightweight as the newer bags- but I'd take it anyway. As for the tent, for me that would pretty heavily weigh on what the forecast looks like. If it is a drawn out summer I wouldn't have a problem taking my mega tarp or a lightweight tent, but if fall is coming early, I'd step up into something heavier. i.e. a hilleberg or stone glacier's new tent.

The 500's aren't something to try to 'get by with' with gear, but then again you may be looking elsewhere. Good luck to you!

I agree with everything Logan has to say regarding weather and safety in that country. Expect any precipitation to turn to snow. Equal chances of 80s or snow in September. Only thing I'd do differently is I'd be fine with 20-15 degree bag. I sleep warm and as long as you're fine with sleeping in clothes, can sleep down to 10-0 fairly comfortably.

After my experience last year I wouldn't go back without a hardshell, I got by with a 30 degree bag in a hilleberg Soulo. I was thankful for the tent during the three days of rain and snow. It's a real sheep hunt in unforgiving country, I wouldn't try to cut to much weight on rain gear or shelter.

MtGomer

WKR
can I cut some weight and room by taking a rain resistant puffy vs a light weight puffy and a rain jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abso-frickinglutelyNOT if you want to live to tell about it.

It has been downright winter around opener for three years in a row.

mt100gr.

WKR
Summer is over up there by September.

Hopefully Gomer and mtnkid can post a few pictures from the opener last year.

amp713

WKR
As these are always mentioned as being timber rams is anyone going into these units with a small wifi stove for heat and drying out??

I'm committed to making this hunt happen by 2020 and I've read a bunch of stuff on multiple sites and listened to some first hand stories but this is something I've just recently been curious about.

If anyone is willing to let me bounce some other questions off them please PM me....

Biggest one is I'm super torn which unit to pursue..

Sorry for thread theft to the OP but maybe this will give him some options ideas as well

I'll have a sawtooth and a stove available this year. I'm going to play it by ear and bring it if the weather is nasty.

mtnkid85

WKR
Yep, these guys are on the right track. I’d take less food before I left my full rain jacket. Those September storms are wet and sloppy. They generally pass by some what quickly but some times they dont...
4f9ce070e3335748ca5318ec344c99fd.jpg
there’s a tarp tent under there somewhere.