Blue Sheep- dream hunt- who has been? what to expect?

Just booked a himalayan blue sheep hunt in Nepal for 2020 or 2021 (depending on a couple factors).

I had exactly zero interest in these animals until a few years ago I was told by several guys who have hunted everything that it is the finest mountain hunt in the world. Camp at 16k feet, several day hike just to get to the hunting area, the tallest mountain range in the world.

Who here as been? what did you think?

Wapiti1

WKR
Who did you book with? Are you adding tahr or just going for the sheep?

That is one of the hunts I am planning on in the next few years. I've talked with a couple of fellows that have done that hunt and they loved it. Both are hardcore sheep addicts. They did the hike in instead of the helicopter flight in. Both thought that helped with the elevation acclimation. Once there, it is a slow hike into the hunt area. One guy got his on day 2 and the other on day 6 (he missed on day 2).

Heck of an adventure. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeremy

idig4au

WKR
Yes I’ve done that hunt. I added the Tahr as well. It ranks as the best mountain hunt I’ve been on and I’ve been on a few in a few mountain ranges. Spent two weeks plus trekking through the Himalayas with team of 18 sherpas. I took the helicopter into Dhorpatan and then trekked into mountains from there. The year I went had record snow falls and made the hunting physical. Lots of climbing. On day 6 we made a difficult 5 hr stalk on a band of rams at 16k elevation only to jump a snow leopard at 100 meters that subsequently blew out the rams. Interesting memories. I took a 12 yo blue sheep, on day 8 and then trekked for 3 days to get into Tahr hunting area. Was lucky to get a 12 yo tahr on first day of hunting. Spent several days stranded on mountain due to weather. Missed all my flights back to the States. Missed the big quake there by two weeks.

Great food surprisingly if you like curry. Some of the most humble, hospitable hard working people you’ll meet that always have a smile on. Fantastic experience. Fantastic culture. I have no doubt you’ll enjoy this hunt. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

npm352

WKR
This would be the ultimate sheep hunt. I don't think they are as neat looking as some of the central Asian sheep (whch often cost 4-5 times as much) but everything I have read tells me the actual hunt is absolute tops. Hope it goes well for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

OP
Cactus kid
Who did you book with? Are you adding tahr or just going for the sheep?

That is one of the hunts I am planning on in the next few years. I've talked with a couple of fellows that have done that hunt and they loved it. Both are hardcore sheep addicts. They did the hike in instead of the helicopter flight in. Both thought that helped with the elevation acclimation. Once there, it is a slow hike into the hunt area. One guy got his on day 2 and the other on day 6 (he missed on day 2).

Heck of an adventure. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeremy

I booked with Neal and Brownlee, Neal and Brownlee, LLC. I have booked with them in the past and have had great success, world class set up.

OP
Cactus kid
This would be the ultimate sheep hunt. I don't think they are as neat looking as some of the central Asian sheep (whch often cost 4-5 times as much) but everything I have read tells me the actual hunt is absolute tops. Hope it goes well for you.

The hunt is the only thing that sells this hunt. Its not the prettiest animal, but thank god because if these things looked like the marco polo the hunt would be 10x as much.

I lost most of my desire (as if i could afford it) to hunt the argali when I found out the sheer number that are shot from trucks or buy the "guides" and the other ****ery that happens in the Hot Springs camps.

OP
Cactus kid
Yes I’ve done that hunt. I added the Tahr as well. It ranks as the best mountain hunt I’ve been on and I’ve been on a few in a few mountain ranges. Spent two weeks plus trekking through the Himalayas with team of 18 sherpas. I took the helicopter into Dhorpatan and then trekked into mountains from there. The year I went had record snow falls and made the hunting physical. Lots of climbing. On day 6 we made a difficult 5 hr stalk on a band of rams at 16k elevation only to jump a snow leopard at 100 meters that subsequently blew out the rams. Interesting memories. I took a 12 yo blue sheep, on day 8 and then trekked for 3 days to get into Tahr hunting area. Was lucky to get a 12 yo tahr on first day of hunting. Spent several days stranded on mountain due to weather. Missed all my flights back to the States. Missed the big quake there by two weeks.

Great food surprisingly if you like curry. Some of the most humble, hospitable hard working people you’ll meet that always have a smile on. Fantastic experience. Fantastic culture. I have no doubt you’ll enjoy this hunt. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.
Im sure ill have a bunch of questions as the hunt draws near!

Wapiti1

WKR
Good deal. I've booked several trips with Greg Brownlee at Neal and Brownlee. Great guys.

Good luck on the hunt.

Jeremy

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I backpacked through Nepal just south of the Chinese border on a mission trip in 2016. I looked at booking a hunt on the backend, but they didn’t allow bowhunting. We woke up to a group of blue sheep just above us one morning. Not the prettiest mountain range, but the sheer size is hard to describe. After dal-bot three times per day I didn’t eat rice again for several months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

npm352

WKR
The hunt is the only thing that sells this hunt. Its not the prettiest animal, but thank god because if these things looked like the marco polo the hunt would be 10x as much.

I lost most of my desire (as if i could afford it) to hunt the argali when I found out the sheer number that are shot from trucks or buy the "guides" and the other ****ery that happens in the Hot Springs camps.
I have read that some of those really neat sheep are not touch hunts. Never read that about Blue Sheep in the Himalayas! Hope it works out. Should be the ultimate adventure.

OP
Cactus kid
just confirmed the dates- I will be going in october 2020. To have a date on the calendar is very exciting.

JP100

WKR
Never been, but had a few clients who have.
Very good true mountain hunting by all accounts, altitude is pretty serious
Nepalis are beautiful people, tougher than nails and kinder than mother Teresa.

I would make sure they have tags/quota sorted.
Just had a client last week who hunted Blue sheep/Bharal last season and his group had issues. was 4 hunters who booked and ended up only having 2 tags for sheep. 2 hunters got sheep and they did hunt muntjak aswell. But they had to draw straws on who got to shoot.
As I understand there is only two outfits in Nepal, and the tags are auctioned off by the govt to them, I could be wrong but thats my understanding. Tahr only have around 10-12 tags per season, not sure on sheep quota but it is more.

If you can I would try and add the Tahr if possible, I think the Tahr numbers/tags/hunting is on the down slope in Nepal, which is a shame.