Best Resident Sheep State in lower 48?

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
There seems to be plenty of post on nonresident sheep odds but as my wife and I are looking to move out west I'd like to know what states seem to have the best odds for residents, archery and rifle. Bighorn sheep are my dream hunt and while living in Michigan I've resigned myself to pretty much never drawing one as a resident. While its not a deciding factor in our move, its still nice to consider! Alaska seems like the king but is most likely not going to happen for us. Mostly looking at rocky bighorns but can also include Californians and desert. Thanks for the replies.

tkjwonta

FNG
Colorado gets my vote. Not known for the giant rams like places in MT, but quite a few sheep in lots of different units. If you are willing to do archery, as a resident, the draw odds are pretty decent once you gain the required 3 preference points. Now with the change to not requiring fees upfront, those odds will likely diminish in the next few years, but I would guess it will still be one of the easiest states to draw a ram tag as a resident.

Trial153

WKR
I would chose Idaho as a resident. The odds are decent, no point system and the fact that you can only make one LE application a year will help. Your not giving up much by for going LE application in elk or mulies as you can still hunt over the counter and the few LE units that worth appling for get a lot of applications. You also are for the one of the most expensive NR applications if you applying across the in other states. So being a resident cuts that cost. Idahos NR sheep cost me 250 in non refundable fees this year for example.

Last edited:
My $60 sheep tag in BC allows me to hunt Stones for 2.5 months and Rocky and California Bighorns for 1.5 months in any non-LEH unit, which is most of the Stone sheep range, and some of the Rocky/Cali range. If I were lucky in the LEH, it would allow me to hunt a Dall for 2.5 months or a Rocky/Cali draw. The annual license is good for one sheep so when you fill it, you are done sheep hunting for that year, irregardless of the species. Seems like a very good deal to me!

Colorado was also a good state to bowhunt when I lived there for 35 seasons. I ended up with 6 archery ram tags, a ewe tag and 4 goat tags during that timeframe. Its probably more difficult to draw them now!

Last edited:

ndbuck09

WKR
BC sounds legit! Stones and/or Bighorns every year? 1 sheep a year can't really be matched here in the lower 48.

I'd say Colorado as a resident. I've drawn 2 ram tags in 17 years with a 5 year wait in between. I know alot of guys who have drawn 2-3 rams tags. The odds are decent for a resident archer thats for sure.

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately BC and Alaska are out for us for the time being :( sounds great for those who are able to live there! Appreciate all the responses from everyone, sounds like Colorado, Montana and Idaho all have decent options for residents with Colorado perhaps taking the lead.

MtGomer

WKR
Unfortunately BC and Alaska are out for us for the time being :( sounds great for those who are able to live there! Appreciate all the responses from everyone, sounds like Colorado, Montana and Idaho all have decent options for residents with Colorado perhaps taking the lead.

Again, Montana’s unlimited option isn’t just for residents. Although it is $1125 cheaper for a resident, we are also close to last in wages. I wouldn’t move here for it. Most people will lose much more than that in income and possibly face an increase in cost of living. Of course I don’t know what you do for a living, but the above is applicable to many people.

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Again, Montana’s unlimited option isn’t just for residents. Although it is $1125 cheaper for a resident, we are also close to last in wages. I wouldn’t move here for it. Most people will lose much more than that in income and possibly face an increase in cost of living. Of course I don’t know what you do for a living, but the above is applicable to many people.

My wife and I were looking at moving to Montana, but as a nurse she'd lose almost 15 grand in wages. The unlimited option is there decent odds for getting a Ram? I've never looked into it, sounds like i'll have to do some research!

Trial153

WKR
My wife and I were looking at moving to Montana, but as a nurse she'd lose almost 15 grand in wages. The unlimited option is there decent odds for getting a Ram? I've never looked into it, sounds like i'll have to do some research!

The odds are terrible. Maybe worse then terrible. That said it’s a sheep tag. And any sheep tag even a terrible sheep tag is better than no sheep tag.

I sure as hell wouldn’t move to MT just to hunt unlimited units.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider

Providence Hospital in Anchorage was paying to relocate qualified nurses a while ago.

Broomd

WKR
That reminds me, another 30 days and I can print off my free sheep tag.

Yeah, and the rest of us can buy a kiwi for .40, not $4.00...the point is everything has it's positives and negatives. Lived in AK for a long time, did plenty of sheep hunting; it sure is nice to not endure the hardships of that state, 'sheep hunting' notwithstanding.

deadwolf

WKR
Yeah, and the rest of us can buy a kiwi for .40, not $4.00...the point is everything has it's positives and negatives. Lived in AK for a long time, did plenty of sheep hunting; it sure is nice to not endure the hardships of that state, 'sheep hunting' notwithstanding.

The only hardship I can see right now is this shitty spring weather we’re having!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk