Colorado S9 Rifle Drawn!!!!

lcneo2112

FNG
I just found out I drew a S9 rifle tag in Colorado! I live in northern Colorado. I've heard this unit is pretty rough, but what unit isn't.

Any thoughts, ideas, or tips?

I think I should hire an outfitter, this might be the best tag I ever draw in my life...

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I just found out I drew a S9 rifle tag in Colorado! I live in northern Colorado. I've heard this unit is pretty rough, but what unit isn't.

Any thoughts, ideas, or tips?

I think I should hire an outfitter, this might be the best tag I ever draw in my life...

Awesome man! I have applied for S9 for a lot of years, just recently changed my unit I apply. This is gonna be an extreme area to hunt but it can be done, and is done year after year. I have heard rumor there is a rancher in this area that spends a lot of time glassing, tracking, etc....and usually tells a few hunters every year in the unit where to go IE- drainage, peak etc

ahlgringo

WKR
I would say the best thing you can do for yourself right now is to get in the best shape of your life. This is an amazing hunt, beautiful, steep, rugged etc. The sheep are dispersed, and it is hella hard to find them sometimes. Good luck!!! and congratulations.

Awesome, congrats.

I have never hunted down there, but on the one sheep hunt I have been on, I learned really quickly that it was very important to go light/fast. If the sheep are dispersed make sure you get your backpacking setup so you can carry camp with you from basin to basin each day and not have to worry about wasting time hiking back and fourth to a base camp.

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
Thank you everyone for the information. I got a lot of prep to do luckily most of my gear is already up to par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Sangre De Cristo Outfitters is a great option if you go the outfitter route. With it being a rifle tag, I have little doubt that they'll get you on a ram, so long as the weather is cooperative.

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
Sangre De Cristo Outfitters is a great option if you go the outfitter route. With it being a rifle tag, I have little doubt that they'll get you on a ram, so long as the weather is cooperative.

I just gave my verbal with them and will send the deposit asap... i cannot risk tag soup on this hunt...

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
With Alberta hunts going for $35K+, very wise decision, lcneo2112. Kent is their guy in S9. Get in shape, as that unit is a "real sheep hunt." You'll pack-in, get fogged-in, sleep in a tent, and eat freeze dried meals. Some of the other units will allow a guy to stay in a bunk house or camper but S9 isn't going to be that way. Tom Schultze, one of the owners, is a great guy. I hope you get to spend some time with him.

Al Vallejo is a pretty famous sheep guide in CO and also guides for Sangre. You'll learn a lot from him in camp, as he's been at this sheep thing before it was cool.

Last edited:
OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
With Alberta hunts going for $35K+, very wise decision, lcneo2112. Kurt or Kirk (unsure of his name) is their guy in S9. Get in shape, as that unit is a "real sheep hunt." You'll pack-in, get fogged-in, sleep in a tent, and eat freeze dried meals. Some of the other units will allow a guy to stay in a bunk house or camper but S9 isn't going to be that way. Tom Schultze, one of the owners, is a great guy. I hope you get to spend some time with him.

Very excited Tom told me there’s no reason I should not be able to get on a 170+ ram...

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure to get current on your memberships with Ovis and FNAWS. I had a friend miss-out on an award because he wasn't current. Get this done, ASAP, as I'd hate to have you get a great ram and not be eligible for an award.

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
I guess I’m not familiar with those. I will look into it

mtnhntr

WKR
Congrats! As a NR I drew S9 last year for archery. Sangre De Cristo was an awesome outfit. Kent will get you into the best of the best. The only reason we didn't come out with a sheep was all on me.... it was an archery hunt after all :cool: All three rams I missed were solid book rams. Had this been a rifle hunt, I'd have been done before noon the first day - Tom's guides know where the sheep are, and keep tabs all summer.

I hunted the booked days, then drove home to MI and flew back out to keep hunting with them until I had to go back to work. Wish we could have just stayed in, but work didn't allow. I've hunted and taken sheep all over the globe, and this was by far and large the roughest sheep hunt I'd ever been on. Other than being in kick-ass shape, just be ready to go, go, go!!

I bowhunted it three times in '80, '81 and '82 when you could draw it second choice archery. Missed a nice ram in '82 but a few days later killed a real nice P&Y NT 7x9 mulie. Rough counry, but I was less than half my age back then! Good luck on your hunt!

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
Congrats! As a NR I drew S9 last year for archery. Sangre De Cristo was an awesome outfit. Kent will get you into the best of the best. The only reason we didn't come out with a sheep was all on me.... it was an archery hunt after all :cool: All three rams I missed were solid book rams. Had this been a rifle hunt, I'd have been done before noon the first day - Tom's guides know where the sheep are, and keep tabs all summer.

I hunted the booked days, then drove home to MI and flew back out to keep hunting with them until I had to go back to work. Wish we could have just stayed in, but work didn't allow. I've hunted and taken sheep all over the globe, and this was by far and large the roughest sheep hunt I'd ever been on. Other than being in kick-ass shape, just be ready to go, go, go!!

I’d love to get move information from you I’ll pm you... I’d love to hear more out your experience thanks man.

kscowboy01;929965 Al Vallejo is a pretty famous sheep guide in CO and also guides for Sangre. You'll learn a lot from him in camp said:
Unfortunately Al Vallejo just passed away a week or so back. Too young!

Good luck to the original poster on his sheep hunt. The Sangres are awesome, tough country.

OP
L

lcneo2112

FNG
Unfortunately Al Vallejo just passed away a week or so back. Too young!

Good luck to the original poster on his sheep hunt. The Sangres are awesome, tough country.

Legend lost, Al Vallejo.

Last edited: