Sheep vs moose

mnydir

FNG
Lately I've been thinking about a 2020 big game hunt. I looked at British Columbia for moose, and Alaska for moose or sheep. I believe Alaska would be better bang for your buck. (Nwt would be good but out of my price range) So my question is, in general which speices would you have better chances of success? Sheep or moose?

All things being equal, I would think moose without question. If you didn't want to foot the bill for a guide, a DIY moose hunt would be much less expensive too, although your success rate would probably be a little less as well.

KJH

WKR
All things being equal, I would think moose without question. If you didn't want to foot the bill for a guide, a DIY moose hunt would be much less expensive too, although your success rate would probably be a little less as well.

I agree with this. In the right place a DIY moose hunt has a high chance of success even for a first time caller.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Lately I've been thinking about a 2020 big game hunt. I looked at British Columbia for moose, and Alaska for moose or sheep. I believe Alaska would be better bang for your buck. (Nwt would be good but out of my price range) So my question is, in general which speices would you have better chances of success? Sheep or moose?

Moose for sure. There are a lot less variables, and getting into moose country can be a tad bit easier than getting into sheep country. Also, you have a much greater chance of finding a legal moose your first time out. If you plan your hunt to be towards the later part of September, and can anticipate and plan for 10 solid days in the field, you can make it happen.

There are lots of great places to access moose within a short drive of Anchorage. It all depends on how far you are willing to go and how deep into the timber, or swamps, you want to get.

Snyd

WKR
I say you do a combination hunt. Go for a FullCurl Bull :D

26_moose_tire.jpg

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
For reasons already noted, the answer to your question is moose...by far.

Hey Snyd...I'm trying to age that rambull, but I can't quite make out the rings...you got a better picture?

Snyd

WKR

But seriously...

I suppose it depends on how you define success. For me, a successful moose hunt is any bull. I hunt in an any bull area, I don't care about the size. I'll shoot a spike/spike fork but prefer a 3 year old. More meat and they sure eat good. I hunt moose for the freezer, I'll shoot a meat bull. If you want a 60"+ Bull in order to be "successful" as opposed to a meat bull your chances of "success" go down. By that standard I've never been "successful", my biggest is 51".

Also, weapon of choice and the "how" come in to play. What kind of experience do you want? The most rewarding "successful" moose hunt for me out of 15-20 that I've killed was my first bull taken with my custom handgun on a handgun only hunt by myself a couple years ago. 3 year old I think, small rack, big body. I am picking him out of my teeth as I type this! I love the taste of success! :D

Sheep is a different story. For me, if I could only go on one hunt here in Alaska or Canada, or ever again, or this year I'd go Sheep Hunting. As a non-res it will cost you some bucks (guide requirement) but it's only going to get more expensive as the years go by. At this point you don't have to draw a tag either. Who knows what the future holds. If you can afford it now and have the physical capability I say go Sheep Hunting! You can always go moose hunting even long beyond the body being able to make it into the Sheep Mtns. You will never regret it even if you don't kill a ram. ANY legal ram is a success if you determine success by killing the animal. Obviously that is our goal but Sheep Hunting is so much more than the killing. One needs to embrace the entire experience and soak in every moment of every moment. Besides, Moose are just big deer! :D

Perhaps you could book a Sheep hunt and if you don't kill a ram you can then pursue moose on the same trip to Alaska. With or without the same guide.

I say go Sheep Hunting! :D

my .02

Last edited:

Snyd

WKR

Hey Snyd...I'm trying to age that rambull, but I can't quite make out the rings...you got a better picture?

uuhhhh... He's got one ring, you can see it well in the pic. He's a one year old. :D

BRWNBR

WKR

Can’t see rings either but it looks like it had at least one Goodyear.

BRWNBR

WKR
I’m with snyd. For me a successful (killing) Sheep hunt is more enjoyable than a successful (killing) moose hunt. On the same hand, a non killing trip of either specie, Sheep is still more enjoyable. Any trip into the mountains is better than a trip into the brush!

as.ks.ak

WKR

If the only time you spent in Alaska was hunting moose in the swamps andwillows staring up at the peaks wondering “what if”, I think that’d be the hardest thing to come to terms with later on down the road. You can always come back up and do a float for moose in your 60s+.

I also vote, get your ass up into sheep country while you still can!! I’m 25 and that’ll be my excuse until my knees and back quit working. And when that does happen, that’ll be the day I start spending Septembers on moose rivers and not chasing sheep or goats! If you wanted to save some cash, you could go after goats instead of sheep.

Don’t get me wrong, sheep are mesmerizing. I say that as I stare at the one on the wall across the room from me....but goats are a totally different beast, literally. I say go after a white critter, whichever you choose, you won’t be disappointed!!

Let us know what you decide! And then afterwards, you’ve gotta share the story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bz_711

WKR
Both sound fantastic...great dilemma...

For the reasons giving...I sure like the idea of getting the Sheep hunt in while the body is able.
Personally I hope to do both at some point as well...Sheep will most likely be in CO and Moose will just be the most economical route as any moose will please me that first go around.

Good Luck - share the rest of the story!

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
The sheep hunt is the one I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I am doing a Kodiak goat hunt this year to get a taste of non elk mountain hunting. I've looked at a lot of outfitters already. Another question I have is what mountain range would be the best for a sheep hunt. From what I've looked at, it seems like Brooks range numbers might be lower. The Wrangell seem more expensive. And the Alaska and talkeetna seem like they're higher pressure units.

BRWNBR

WKR
It’s all expensive. It’s all got pressure. But then again it’s all how you describe expensive and pressure. But as this thread dictates different adventures are preference. I had a Sheep client once shoot a 40” ram. He saw a super cub land on a ridge for a couple hours then leave. He told everyone my area was over hunted. Other times I’ve seen another tents off in the distance and clients have just been so blown away by how alone they are compared to what they think of as pressure back home. On average I see other hunters once every four years maybe.
Some moose float rivers are much worse than any sheep hunting area. Pressure can be used to ones advantage though as well. Pressured animals often behave in specific ways that makes them predictable.

JP100

WKR
All depends how you measure 'success'.
In terms of actually shooting an animal the outfits I have worked for would have better/same success on Sheep than moose.

Thats my experience, sheep hunts are big money, and outfitters often put in big efforts(moving camps often, more guides to scout etc) than with a moose hunt. Sheep hunts are generally longer to allow for bad weather, trouble finding game etc, and most sheep areas are lower 'pressure' than moose. You dont have an 'any sheep' tag, like quite a few moose areas do.

Some areas with moose rely heavily on calling, if it aint on, it aint on, other areas you can glass more and cover ground and more spot and stalk style.
Alot of outfits I know of actually run pretty low success on Moose, they are not as easy as people think they are(if you after a proper bull). Where as sheep are pretty much 100% success,

Thats what I have seen as a foreign guide working for two outfits in BC.

Id say if you have the coin and fitness go after the sheep, sheep hunts are only going up in price, and most areas are a physical hunt and best done as young as possible I think.

Moose hunts vary so much(as does anything) on what type of terrain/area you are in, but generally you can hunt em when your old and fat(thats what I plan on doing anyways haha).