To solo or not?

F16pointy

FNG
So last year I skipped sheep hunting because of the solo issue, nobody to go with. I had a few partners lined up for this year but it looks like they wont be able to go. That being said I'm wrestling with the solo idea again. Any inputs, pros & cons from those of you who have gone solo would be immensely appreciated! Thanks!

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
I know the area pretty well, i have hunted the area about 4 times before. But i dont want to hand out a lot of detail. Its your typical AK dall sheep hunt. Im more looking for what things others have experienced going solo. Any pitfalls i should be watching for.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
So last year I skipped sheep hunting because of the solo issue, nobody to go with. I had a few partners lined up for this year but it looks like they wont be able to go. That being said I'm wrestling with the solo idea again. Any inputs, pros & cons from those of you who have gone solo would be immensely appreciated! Thanks!

One downside is not being able to split weight amongst packs. There is always a safety issue, but if you're confident in the area you are going, just play it smart while you're out there and don't take unnecessary risks. Obviously know your physical limits and capabilities. Are you flying in or hiking in?

I will more than likely be going in solo this year, as the one guy I was supposed to go with will be going on his goat hunt early due to some work obligations forcing him to do so. I've been training by myself in the same mountains I will be in, so I'm not terribly worried. I think the wife is more worried if anything.

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
I will be hiking in, i wish i could train in the same area i am hunting. But its hours away, im up in Fairbanks. So im going to hit some hills this summer. I have already been doing the workout thing. So i should be ready physically. Yeah the wife was the deciding factor last year. Im hoping she is good with it this year! Lol

Snyd

WKR
Provided a guy knows how to handle himself in the mtns and has the right gear so as to not succumb to hypothermia or get lost, disabling or life threatening injuries because of the nature of sheep terrain are the biggest concern. Or perhaps a severe bear encounter where one is injured but cannot provide adequate first aid and call for help. A situation that could be managed with a partner could turn deadly being alone.

Then there is the weather...I have a buddy that was caught in a severe storm on a solo hunt. Flight was booked and his partner had a family emergency at the last minute and had to back out. He was literally blown down the mtn in his flattened TNF tent in a blizzard, spent a couple days rolled up like a cocoon, finally activated his Beacon. When weather allowed a helicopter picked him off the mtn. Dropped him off on the Glenn and he hitch hiked back to his truck. Several years later he drew DCUA and found someone to go with him. That was me.

A few years back on a stalk up a steep, rocky, muddy, slippery chute my footing gave way and in an instant my hip landed were my foot was and my elbow jammed into the mtn and I dislocated my shoulder and started sliding. Was able to self arrest. I knew what my injury was and was able to have my partner reduce (put it back in place) it for me. Same partner that hand gotten blown off the mtn. I talked him through it. I don't know that I could have done it myself. May have had to hit the SOS on the SPOT. As it was, we hunted 4 or 5 more days. The same year another sheep hunter that many of us know from online suffered a fall I believe while crossing a river/stream, dislocated his shoulder. I seem to remember his account describing it as a near death experience. He had to be rescued. It was not his first solo sheep hunt but I think it was his last. I think he promised his wife that was it.

That said, part of me would like to do one solo for the experience. But, that's pretty selfish and I would be putting my wife through stress and fear that she doesn't need or deserve. I'll be hunting with a partner again this year.

Over at the AOD forums there is a thread for guys looking for hunting partners. Might be worth a look.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun not survival! :D

EDIT: I just remembered another guy that hiked in by himself, twisted his ankle real bad, limped out. He realized how quick things can happen and felt fortunate he was able to limp his way out. Could have been much worse. The next year he found a partner, that was also me. Oh, and we got a ram!

Last edited:

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I will be hiking in, i wish i could train in the same area i am hunting. But its hours away, im up in Fairbanks. So im going to hit some hills this summer. I have already been doing the workout thing. So i should be ready physically. Yeah the wife was the deciding factor last year. Im hoping she is good with it this year! Lol

Did you draw a tag, or are you going in to an area on a harvest ticket?

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Snyd, thanks! Confirmed all my fears! Lol i have luckily never had anything really bad happen yet. But Im super cautious already. No animal is worth me leaving the wife and kids for. I might check into the AOD forums, thanks.

Jimbob

WKR
I will be going solo for Stone Sheep this summer. I don't think I would do it without an inreach though. it would be nice to have a partner to split the pack out weight and in case of emergency. Not having a partner will not keep me from going it will just change the level of risk I am willing to take.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think I would do it without an inreach though.

I always have mine with me out there. You never know. If I had the disposable income, I would have a sat phone. I do like how I can upgrade my plan to unlimited text messages during the hunting season.

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
Jimbob, I used to rent a sat phone. But i bought the inreach a few years ago. Now i take it with me everywhere i go in the wilderness. They are great and a lot cheaper for sure!

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I have nothing constructive to add but I’m in the same boat. I drew ds165 and don’t have any partners with free time/money. I’m torn on the whole 10 days alone thing. I know I won’t hunt as hard in some ways without the safety net, But I can also let things develop with less pressure not having to worry about someone’s else’s schedule. Still not sold on it to be honest though, I like sharing time hunting with friends.

I absolutely love solo mt. hunts (I say mt. hunts because dealing with something like a moose, alone, can be kind of daunting). I kind of look at it like, I only have myself to be concerned with or worry about and it allows me to really experience some piece and quiet and (at the risk of sounding too corny) kind of get in tune with myself. I think everyone should experience a little hunting alone time, if for nothing else than to just see how they handle good ‘ol Mother Nature and some of the curve balls that she sometimes throws your way. I’ll also add that, I’m way more cautious and methodical when alone, and I absolutely won’t allow myself to take any unnecessary risks. I also always carry a sat phone but fortunately have only had to use it for check in calls to home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KClark

WKR
Some inspiration:
[video=youtube_share;Uri9dbDzyc4]https://youtu.be/Uri9dbDzyc4[/video]

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
AK, thats what I am hoping for. That solitude and challenge, but I sleep like a rock so the wife worries im going to be bear food! Lol

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
KClark, i have watched that video three times already! Lol great video! If you dont mind me asking what camera did you use for that? Thanks for the inspiration!

Most of my hunts are solo.

Bring an InReach satellite device to communicate with folks at home.

Dial back the risk in what you do a bit.

Take extra pictures, because you don't have someone else to share the memories with.

I really enjoy going solo. Adds elements of introspection and self reliance that are missing from a hunt with friends.

Last edited:
The challenges and risks that have been presented so far are indeed legitimate concerns that need to be weighed.
I have hunted both mountain goats and sheep solo for the past 6 years. My first successful sheep harvest came last season on a week long, 70 mile hunt. On foot, non motorized, harvest ticket and solo.
Maintaining your motivation to keep pushing is all on yourself. You can really test what your made of, see what your weaknesses are and in the end come out stronger mentally. If your confident in your abilities and are set up with the proper gear and equipment, I say go for it.

Snyd

WKR
I've killed 4 or 5 moose solo hunting. Has it's own challenges and rewards. But, for the reasons you solo mtn hunters have shared, I have that inner desire to do a solo sheep hunt. Maybe one of these years. But the wifey would have to be on board. Good luck to you all this season, stay safe and make it count!