Best state for NR tags

Which state in y'alls opinion, has the highest percentage of NR draws or amount of allotted NR tags?

I want to start putting in for a tag so hopefully by the time I'm 50 I'll be able to get a tag

Kimbersig

WKR
Which state in y'alls opinion, has the highest percentage of NR draws or amount of allotted NR tags?

I want to start putting in for a tag so hopefully by the time I'm 50 I'll be able to get a tag

There is no such place unless you consider alaska but you have to have a guide. If you do a forum search you will find posts asking the same question with answers that will probably disappoint you. Lol. Good luck.

Trial153

WKR
WY allocates about 15 or 16 percent for NR, I am pretty sure that is the highest allotment by percentage in the lower 48.

If you can afford it put in for all of them.....even then it’s an long shot but still better then picking only one or two states

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
Worst overall draw odds (slight chance) but more desert bighorn sheep tags than all the other states combined = Nevada.

When it comes to sheep, there isn't much guaranteed in the lower 48. I apply for sheep in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Texas. Then buy raffle tags in those places and any other state (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc) that has them available. Still a very high likelihood that I will never draw a tag. With how much you have to front in some places, you could probably save that money for several years and just go on a Dall Sheep hunt.

The only other option you have would be to try the Montana Unlimited areas, if you have a flexible enough schedule.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Honestly there is no right answer. There are better or worse odds based on species and what you want out of the hunt. Your budget will also be a big factor. I would start by watching some Randy Newberg videos. His podcasts and videos are what gave me confidence and got me started applying out of state. I now apply and/or buy points in several western states.

If your goal is to draw a trophy tag or one of the big 3, you may wait a while and will probably have to play the odds in multiple states or hunt a less desirable tag. But if you just want to hunt western big game, then go hunting! Apply in states that have otc tags like Idaho, CO for elk, Arizona for deer, Washington, etc. You can also find leftover tags in a lot of states that allow you to get out and do some great hunts without the need to draw a tag. Also there are units in Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Nevada that can be drawn every year or nearly every year for deer. NM and Idaho don’t have points systems, so your chances are just as good as any other NR applicant in those states.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The information you requested is available online with some research.

To save you the time and other individuals the time that ask the same question every month or so...I will list draw odds.
This will be based off of having 5 pts in states that have preference points...and best chance of drawing units...
So the odds will be worse in some states if you are just starting out with zero bonus/preference points.

NR sheep draw odds:
Idaho 1-2% completely random no PPs
Colorado .4% PPs cant get in until 3pps
Wyoming .3% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Oregon .3% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Arizona .1% PPs but odds are for random allocation
NM .09% completely random
Utah .04% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Nevada .05% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Montana .02% PPs but odds are for random

If you are just starting out you will never be in the max point pool in any state. That is a fact.
Majority of the states are over 20pts max and with point creep and numbers of guys in the max pool it just wont happen in your lifetime.
So you will need to consider random odds for your hunting career.
Some states your random odds will increase with bonus point systems etc...I am not going to explain all that.

This is not what you or anyone that proposes the "best state for NR tag" question but it is a reality.
Start putting in when you are 20 years old and hope that you are lucky enough to pull a tag by the time you are 70.
Or save the $1800/year and go on a dall hunt every 10 years...that is the decision you have to make.

Kimbersig

WKR
The information you requested is available online with some research.

To save you the time and other individuals the time that ask the same question every month or so...I will list draw odds.
This will be based off of having 5 pts in states that have preference points...and best chance of drawing units...
So the odds will be worse in some states if you are just starting out with zero bonus/preference points.

NR sheep draw odds:
Idaho 1-2% completely random no PPs
Colorado .4% PPs cant get in until 3pps
Wyoming .3% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Oregon .3% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Arizona .1% PPs but odds are for random allocation
NM .09% completely random
Utah .04% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Nevada .05% PPs but odds are for random allocation
Montana .02% PPs but odds are for random

If you are just starting out you will never be in the max point pool in any state. That is a fact.
Majority of the states are over 20pts max and with point creep and numbers of guys in the max pool it just wont happen in your lifetime.
So you will need to consider random odds for your hunting career.
Some states your random odds will increase with bonus point systems etc...I am not going to explain all that.

This is not what you or anyone that proposes the "best state for NR tag" question but it is a reality.
Start putting in when you are 20 years old and hope that you are lucky enough to pull a tag by the time you are 70.
Or save the $1800/year and go on a dall hunt every 10 years...that is the decision you have to make.

Idaho for a NR is not as good as some think. 1-2% is a little high as the non resident quota is approx 1:250 (.25%). There is a good YouTube video that huntin fool did to explain Idaho’s NR odds.

jm1607

WKR
Idaho for a NR is not as good as some think. 1-2% is a little high as the non resident quota is approx 1:250 (.25%). There is a good YouTube video that huntin fool did to explain Idaho’s NR odds.

Agreed. Idaho has very "sneaky" bad odds.. For everything (especially the OIL species). It has to do with the overall 10% cap and the "up to 10%" rule, that combination is killer!!

How old are you now? I'm 33 and realistically, I probably won't draw a tag by the time I am 50, unless I put in for a ewe tag (which I may do in a few years). My greatest shot at being able to hunt sheep in my lifetime is a Montana Unlimited hunt, a ewe tag or going to Alaska Dall Sheep. Montana unlimited is probably the hardest hunt in the lower 48. Alaska Dall Sheep will cost me a $20-25k. So I have to take both of those into consideration. If I was single and childless and really, really wanted to hunt sheep, I would move to Alaska and become a resident.