Best Unit 11 Idaho (Sheep) Maps

I thought this might get lost in a prior thread, so am starting a new thread. I have GPS and onXhunts, but if can't get cell service... and would like to study maps at home for future reference.
I have been trying to draw a sheep tag in Idaho. What is the best source...e.g. BLM, My Topo, etc. for the most detailed map of Idaho Unit 11? I think I understand the unit was expanded to add unit 13/18...may be mistaken. Any information on that would be helpful.
Also, I heard that there may be an issue w/ "Redbird Creek Road" that is surrounded by private land (? from goHunt.com), and I've heard from some friends in Bozeman that's an area where hunters can go in but not w an outfitter? Just checking and any/all accurate information would be appreciated. My work takes me to areas/situations where cell service/wifi/internet is non-existent so may be awhile before I get back to the site. Thanks in advance to any replies.
Diddywahdiddy

Attachments

• #25 Stone Sheep.jpg
    #25 Stone Sheep.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 33

Kimbersig

WKR
Why are you wanting to research unit 11? most likely you will NEVER draw unless you are pretty rich and plan on buying the auction tag!

I've found OnX is your best bet while in the field without reception as long as you download the high quality maps before you leave. Idaho's hunt planner website, Google Earth are my main two map sources. the hunt planner will have some good historic fire info on them as well.

Why are you wanting to research unit 11? most likely you will NEVER draw unless you are pretty rich and plan on buying the auction tag!

I've found OnX is your best bet while in the field without reception as long as you download the high quality maps before you leave. Idaho's hunt planner website, Google Earth are my main two map sources. the hunt planner will have some good historic fire info on them as well.

I agree with kimbersig...I would hold off researching unit 11 until you pull the tag.
That is probably the hardest tag to draw in Idaho.

TheTone

WKR
Its a pretty darn easy area to navigate (other than being really steep), much of unit 11 you can see in a day of driving and the parts of 13 and 18 that would have sheep are pretty much only accessible by boat.

OP
Diddywahdiddy
I'm off to another assignment, so will be "out of range" for at least 7-10 days. Thank you all for your information. I understand the raffle tag draw is sometime this week or next. The auction tag went for $130k last year and the prior auction tag went for $180k. No, I can't afford that.
I drew the random non-resident tag for RMBS Hunt 559A2 in 2009...had a successful hunt and by day six got a 180-plus on Haas Ridge adjacent to Lightning Creek. I have my reasons for trying to get the best maps, if they exist, after downloading onXhunt for Idaho. There was a scientist whose quote "Chance favors the prepared mind (and well-trained body-my add)"-Louis Pasteur.
Yep, the Oregon side is really steep also, and it rained, with intermittent sleet, the first four days, making it interesting. The chances of drawing the Idaho tag are between 0.25-0.38%...but you can't draw if you don't apply...
Who is John Galt? Ask the woman who wrote the book...a classic "Atlas Shrugged".
Again, thanks. The photo is the ram I was lucky enough to get at the head of Coal/Eagle Creeks in the Ogilvie Mountains Aug 5, 2015. Another photo is on the last page of the latest issue of Fair Chase.
Diddywahdiddy

Haha you probably wouldn't draw that tag in 10 lifetimes. I like looking at maps as much as the next guy though.

OP
Diddywahdiddy
Back from work assignment. Thanks for everyone's input.
Spoke with the Idaho BLM office-got the Orofino, Grangeville, and Riggins maps and also some maps south to the NV border for looking at CA Bighorn country. Have rafted the Bruneau twice and Jarbridge once, and have seen CA Bighorns at Cove Draw and up Sheep Creek. Had some good rapid-running and caught some redound rainbows on dries.
Also got the Nez Perce NF map which has the GMU boundaries.
The Unit 11/11A, Unit 13 & 18 maps arrived from MyTopo.com also.
I'm kind of a map nut and like to review the maps. The best IMP appears to be the MyTopo maps with the "plasticized" waterproof material. Will probably get OnX to make sure the ownership boundaries are updated. I understand the raffle tag will be drawn the last week of July. We'll see as far as RMBS or CA Bighorn!
DWD