"Water Resistant" Down - tested to failure...

Just got back for a sheep hunt in the Alaska Range. As I was packing, I made a last minute decision to throw in my MH "Ghostwhisper" down jacket with the new "Q-Down" waterproof fill. The Ghostwhisper is a UL 850 FP lightweight down jacket, with a super thin 7d shell. I didn't get it specifically for hunting, but at only 7.5 oz it sure doesn't take up much space in the pack. The Alaska Range turned out to be a worthy testing ground, and I thought I would report on how the new technology worked out.

As background, I'm no stranger to down garments. 30 winters in Alaska and the Canadian Territories have given me plenty of experience. I've heard some conflicting reports on the usefulness of the latest water resistant downs, and was curious how it works for hunting in real life. Kuiu is advertising it as a full on replacement for synthetic, while Sitka states that they don't believe that the technology is currently worthy of warm weather hunts and sells down as a cold weather option only.

This jacket I own was purchased primarily as a liner for heaver winter garments or shells, and it looks to be ideal for the purpose. The shell fabric is extremely tightly woven with a DWR finish and sheds water like crazy. However, like most light down garments, it uses through sewn baffle construction, with leaves it with a lot of potential leak points on the seams.

We went the second week of sheep season, which as it turned out was a less that optimum choice, and we caught 6 straight days of rain, cloud, and fog. That made for some pretty lousy hunting, but it did however, make the perfect field test for finding the limits of waterproof down.

Day 1 and 2 consisted of intermittent drizzle and fog. The temp hovered between cold and dang cold, so the jacket got used a lot.

As advertised, the down held up to the sweat and 100% humidity amazingly well. I was impressed.

Day 3 it settled down into a steady cold rain that didn't quit. If you've ever hunted in the rain for days in a row, you know that EVERYTHING eventually gets wet. Water runs down your sleeves when you glass, gets down your neck, soaks the hem of your jacket when you bend over, and of course you get to sweat in raingear all day. Despite babying it to the best of my abilities, this kind of non-stop sogginess was the death of even the waterproof down, and by the end of the day sleeves and fringes of the jacket were soaked and useless. Although the body still had some loft, the jacket had lost a large percentage of it's insulation capabilities. If I had been relying on this as a critical layer, I would have been screwed at this point.

Day 4 and 5 it continued to rain pretty much non-stop. I hung the jacket up in the tent at night, but the 100+% humidity wouldn't let it dry. On the 5th night, the rain finally quit for a few hours, and amazingly, the down recovered it's loft.

Although it rained again on Day 6, I avoided wearing it during the day and it retained it's loft.

So.... the results are in for me.

1. "Waterproof" down does indeed resist wet and humidity to a much much greater degree than regular down. Pretty cool stuff.

2. Cool or not, it's staying home on future sheep hunting trips. Primaloft has not lost it's place in my pack.

Anybody else out there use this stuff too the failure point yet?

Yk

Great review and insight YK. Another great thing about this website... quantitative reviews of products in actual field conditions! Thanks this gives me a bit of insight for future purchases! :)

Have you had a chance to mess with the new puffy from firstlite? It's different from Primaloft and seems to be warmer per weight than primaloft. I'd like to see some reviews of it in these conditions. I doubt I'll ever be hunting in that kind of conditions but ya never know!

Mike

muleman

WKR
YK, thanks for the write up. Marketing is one thing and actual field experience quite often has different results.

I wonder if any one of the different "waterproof downs" performs better than another. Also interested to see if the down stays hydrophobic after a season of hunting use or if it wears off.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. I bought a Kuiu super down jacket to try this year for the same reasons of super light weight and packability. I wonder if the results of the Kuiu stuff will be the same as your experience. Time will tell though this year I will only test it on a Wyoming elk hunt and we never experience rain like you described. (Famous last words).

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
That is a great review. I am interested to see how my super down works in the rain as well. That is a lot of rain you were exposed to.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was part of the initial testing for "dry down" with a backpacking company. I found the same results you did and found out quick that synthetic is the way to go when the weather is bad.

Don't get me wrong, it does take longer for dry down to get wet when compared to down, but wet down is wet down and synthetic is a safer bet.

TXCO

WKR
Wasnt there a video awhile back on here where a guy wore his superdown from kuiu in the shower including balling it up? It looked to come out just fine and fluff back up

I think they both have their place both synthetic and down. I believe water repellent down, was only really meant for dry/damp conditions and not all of them too. Being soaked makes it pretty useless for retaining warmth until it can get a chance to dry out. There is also much to be said about bringing that waterproof-breathable shell mentioned even when using synthetics in wet conditions. They all lose heat retention properties when soaked. I like my down and I also like my PrimaLoft but PrimaLoft is much more forgiving in soaked conditions.

Wasnt there a video awhile back on here where a guy wore his superdown from kuiu in the shower including balling it up? It looked to come out just fine and fluff back up

I've done similar tests with gear and while it's a good indication, a 15 minute shower test is nothing compared to a few days hiking/hunting in rainy conditions.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
Yellowknife

This jacket will do the same thing. It's very tolerant of short term moisture exposure and the shell sheds water great. It's the long term exposure and leaking through the seams that eventually killed it. And when down does fail, it tends to fail totally.

Still a great jacket, but not something I'm betting my life on in wet conditions. Buyer beware with some companies marketing IMO.

YK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

bobhunts

WKR
Good review! I'm leaving to Alaska in 18 days and I will keep that in mind. I have both. I think I will use the primaloft first and bring along one of the dry down pull overs as it only weighs about 4oz.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great info.....looks like I won't be giving up my primaloft stuff just yet....thanks for sharing.

Good stuff, that second week of the season sounds like it was really tough up there. First week was great.

Makes me feel even better about my cheap (thanks to Sierratradingpost.com) MH compressor puffy gear. I got a couple small burns in it this year since we ate primarily sheep meat over the fire for 7 days and I barely batted and eye over the damage. A couple small pieces of tenacious tape and it is ready for the next hunt.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
YK, so were you exposing the down directly to the rain or was it layered underneath a rain jacket and eventually got wet? Personally I am a huge fan of down and purchased a KUIU Superdown jacket last winter. Although everyone has different uses for their gear, I can never wear any of my down jackets while moving anywhere beyond camp. I just get too hot. So my down garments are usually put on when I stop to glass or get cold in the evenings. I figured the Superdown would be great to layer under my rain jacket with its ability to resist moisture being an added safeguard. I spent 8 days in the Alaska Range, and like your trip 5 of those days were 75% rain. I don't think I spent the same amount of time in my down as you, but I had no issues with it losing loft. The jacket worked great for my intended purposes. When chilled I love slipping into a down jacket, the Superdown has a firm place in my pack (in a dry bag) with a rain jacket to cover it. Shane

OP
Yellowknife
YK, so were you exposing the down directly to the rain or was it layered underneath a rain jacket and eventually got wet? Personally I am a huge fan of down and purchased a KUIU Superdown jacket last winter. Although everyone has different uses for their gear, I can never wear any of my down jackets while moving anywhere beyond camp. I just get too hot. So my down garments are usually put on when I stop to glass or get cold in the evenings. I figured the Superdown would be great to layer under my rain jacket with its ability to resist moisture being an added safeguard. I spent 8 days in the Alaska Range, and like your trip 5 of those days were 75% rain. I don't think I spent the same amount of time in my down as you, but I had no issues with it losing loft. The jacket worked great for my intended purposes. When chilled I love slipping into a down jacket, the Superdown has a firm place in my pack (in a dry bag) with a rain jacket to cover it. Shane

I was wearing it under Sitka Dewpoint raingear. It was never exposed directly to the rain other than quickly putting it on and taking it off. When in my pack it was stored in a dry bag. I typically didn't wear it while hiking, but in the usual fashion I put it on when glassing, setting up camp, cooking, etc. Since glassing is a big part of sheep hunting, so it got worn a lot on wet, windy ridges. It was also pretty cold, so layering up was happening often.

The biggest issues were water running down my sleeves (despite being cinched tight, it eventually happens when glassing), and the lower edge being exposed and/or wicking water from my pants and vegetation when bending, sitting in wet tundra, etc. The main body did fairly well, although I expect it would have eventually cried uncle also.

I'm also a big fan of down, and don't have any issues with the way the jacket performs. I don't think it was ever meant to be used in the conditions I used it in, and I'm happy with using it in it's normal performance envelope. Like I said, it seems to resist damp and recover loft very quickly, and if the rainy days would have had a few hours break here and there to let it recover, I probably would have been perfectly happy. In fact, I could probably use this thing for quite a few more trips before I had another non-stop rain event that caused another similar failure.

The other issue with down as a hunting jacket is something mentioned earlier. It's just simply more susceptible to brush, rocks, and sparks than a synthetic. It's ideal as an underlayer, but if it's not raining, I'm not usually wearing a shell when hunting. I baby my puffy layers around camp, but the in the last three or four years my primaloft has acquired a dozen patches, some of which would have been catastrophic to a down jacket.

Considering how light and warm modern synthetics are, I'm not seeing any reason to risk carrying down on my remote hunts. "back to the truck" just isn't an option on a drop hunt. I'll happily use my down for many other uses, including shorter trips and all winter long. I'd also look at it really hard as a sleeping bag fill.

That's my experience and opinion at this point.

Yk

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I was wearing it under Sitka Dewpoint raingear. It was never exposed directly to the rain other than quickly putting it on and taking it off. When in my pack it was stored in a dry bag. I typically didn't wear it while hiking, but in the usual fashion I put it on when glassing, setting up camp, cooking, etc. Since glassing is a big part of sheep hunting, so it got worn a lot on wet, windy ridges. It was also pretty cold, so layering up was happening often.

The biggest issues were water running down my sleeves (despite being cinched tight, it eventually happens when glassing), and the lower edge being exposed and/or wicking water from my pants and vegetation when bending, sitting in wet tundra, etc. The main body did fairly well, although I expect it would have eventually cried uncle also.

I'm also a big fan of down, and don't have any issues with the way the jacket performs. I don't think it was ever meant to be used in the conditions I used it in, and I'm happy with using it in it's normal performance envelope. Like I said, it seems to resist damp and recover loft very quickly, and if the rainy days would have had a few hours break here and there to let it recover, I probably would have been perfectly happy. In fact, I could probably use this thing for quite a few more trips before I had another non-stop rain event that caused another similar failure.

The other issue with down as a hunting jacket is something mentioned earlier. It's just simply more susceptible to brush, rocks, and sparks than a synthetic. It's ideal as an underlayer, but if it's not raining, I'm not usually wearing a shell when hunting. I baby my puffy layers around camp, but the in the last three or four years my primaloft has acquired a dozen patches, some of which would have been catastrophic to a down jacket.

Considering how light and warm modern synthetics are, I'm not seeing any reason to risk carrying down on my remote hunts. "back to the truck" just isn't an option on a drop hunt. I'll happily use my down for many other uses, including shorter trips and all winter long. I'd also look at it really hard as a sleeping bag fill.

That's my experience and opinion at this point.

Yk

All good points which I agree with and understand. However I have used down in the field for a long time before there was "Superdown". I have never had it fail with a lot of use even though there are some obvious weaknesses. Weaknesses that I think can be overcome with proper care in field. Is it worth it??? That is for each individual to decide. I really just wanted to post my experience as it seemed the Superdown was starting to get beat up (not necessarily by your original post YK).