sewing machine

I'm basing my thoughts on the bigger is better premise. My settings are maxed out yet I'm still having issues. If I back off of the thread tension, I get a rats nest under the fabric. So, I'm thinking a bigger old plain jane singer should work.

Those Sailrite machines look nice.
Husky, Most of the older machines have a top tension knob/spring that can be adjusted for even more tension. On some of these older machines the springs have taken a set and are effectively looser than they were 50yrs ago when new. Think of it like the top turret on your rifle scope after you switch loads and you re-zero, of course your going to have to re-set the turret to the 0 mark. Same with the top tension knob. Once you make the proper adjustments to the spring and are happy, loosen the set screw or jam nut and reset the knob to middle range and lock it down.
Or maybe set it to 9 for upholstery thread and double check that 0-1 is ok for thin UV stable polyester thread for silnylon work.

The good news is with these old cheap used machines, you can have two machines set up for different threads and weight of material. I hate fiddling w/ machines and switching threads, so I don't.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
After doing all my research I think Husky390's problem is probably the tension in his bobbin case/holder. That little screw will need to be adjusted for the thicker thread and thicker material that creates drag on thread as it is processed by the machine through the fabric. If its a top loading bobbin case my last post has links to helpful information on how to adjust those. Front loading bobbin cases are the most common mention for various help videos.

Just got back from a Manitoba hunt and a couple items needed repair. The cuff hem on one of my merino gloves was 50% loose. Also, I found a sewing defect in one of the seams on my good hunting pants. I put the Bernina to good use doing those repairs and keeping a couple pieces of pricier gear in the game. The longer I own my machine the more I appreciate it. I also realize how valuable it would have been to own it a couple decades ago.

I'm beginning to think about making some custom gear cases, such as a protective zippered case for my takedown 2-pc recurve.

bounds

WKR
I just acquired my grandmothers vintage Singer machine. It was built in 1951 and is a solid metal/steel machine. Its beautiful but hasn't been used in probably 20 years. The electric motor still runs great but could probably use some oil/lube. The gears on the machine turn over fine by hand, but the motor has trouble turning it. So I know it needs a good cleaning and oiling. What type of oil are you guys using to clean your older machines? Do I WD40 it to get it clean and then use a good oil/lube on everything?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just acquired my grandmothers vintage Singer machine. It was built in 1951 and is a solid metal/steel machine. Its beautiful but hasn't been used in probably 20 years. The electric motor still runs great but could probably use some oil/lube. The gears on the machine turn over fine by hand, but the motor has trouble turning it. So I know it needs a good cleaning and oiling. What type of oil are you guys using to clean your older machines? Do I WD40 it to get it clean and then use a good oil/lube on everything?

It takes a very fine oil so it doesn't collect lint. I would take it in for a service and make sure it was in time if it hasn't been run for that long

Good advice to have it serviced. If you could see all the moving parts and understand how critical the exact timing adjustments are, you'd understand. I think a fuel-injected DOHC internal combustion engine is probably easier to get tuned correctly. If your Singer is out of timing in any way, you will have fits with it and not be able to sew correctly.

bounds

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. Normally I like to tinker and would try to do it myself. These old machines are stripped down and seem to be pretty easy to figure out. But, since it has a lot of sentimental value to me, I will probably take it in and have it thoroughly overhauled.