Snack sticks & sausage question.

Hardstalk

WKR
Doing my first go at em on sunday. Seasoning the smoker at the moment. Doing 70-30 antelope-pork. Curious what the smoker guys are cooking the sticks and sausage at (temp & time) I've never been too successful at smoking and need some serious guidance. Finally picked up a decent smoker setup. Far from extravagant but should work. Thanks in advance. Hell or high water success pics to come!

colonel00

WKR
Assuming you did a bring/cure, I would still cook the sticks up to at least 165 degrees internal temp to be safe. You could get away with less but with the pork it would be a good idea to be safe. I have never really done snack sticks but I do summer sausage and other sausages. I usually try to keep the smoker temps down pretty low like 180-200. What are you using as a smoker?

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
I had an 80 dollar gift card to cal ranch so I picked up a smoke hollow 26". Should bo more precise than my 55 gal drum with side burner and no vents.

colonel00

WKR
That should do you pretty good. I actually do all of my cooking in smokers built from 55 gallon drums in a vertical fashion better known as Ugly Drum Smokers. These things will hold temps for 24 hours running on a bag of charcoal or less. Anyway, below is a link that should help you out. Cowgirl makes some amazing stuff so I highly recommend her advice.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146201

DSCN0816.jpg

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
Mine wasnt cutting the mustard. I must have burned/undercooked well over 20 beer can chickens! Thats the easy stuff to do! This little one isnt much of a step up but I should at minimum be able to regulate temps and smoke.

Wouldn't those vertical cans be direct heat?

colonel00

WKR
They are, sorta... Many people, including myself at times, use diffusers to reduce the direct heat a little. However, most of the time for brisket, pork butts, ribs and chicken I usually just run direct. Isn't your new cooker basically the same but with gas? It works out great because you keep very low temps with the ball valve at the bottom controlling the air flow. The key is keeping a gap between the charcoal and the meat and it works out really well. These are basically mimics of the Weber Smokey Mountain cookers aside from the lack of a water pan. I also cold smoke in them by placing wood chips in a tin can in the bottom and using a soldering iron to get the chips to smolder. Great for things like sausage, salmon lox and cheese (smoked cream cheese is amazing).

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
I would consider this new one as direct as can be. The heat is under the cooking material. The last one was indirect but I literally threw it to the curb after baby sitting a beer can chicken for hours and losing it after 5 hours. Ive been to hell and back learning how to smoke stuff. I may be too impatient but I've gave it a hell of a go with that old barrel. Its a science for sure. Ive got buddies that make it look easy but there all running the same setup. So therefore I blame it on the grill :)

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
Colenel shoot me your number and I promise to bug the piss out of ya sunday! Ill be doing 5lb batches of sticks and sausage and will need a someone to hold my hand thru the process:)