Haul Road 2014 transportation

coonazz

FNG
Just got back from Deadhorse. Didnt see many caribou at all. Considered myself very fortunate to take this small bull.

7d3430dd6f818f59d2efe6dd086a597c.jpg

Retterath

WKR
Congrats guys. Has anyone hear how the kotzebue area is doing? are the caribou started there migration yet? I head up to kotzebue with my dad the 12th of sept. First time up there. We are doing a DIY drop camp

I can get used to this Alaska stuff :)

Bull #1
attachment.php

Nocked another arrow and got this one too.

attachment.php

Then we flew out with Arrowhead, saw lots of bulls, big ones too. Bowhunting them was tough, passed a few waiting for something special and we went home with lots of memories and no other punched tags. Great time, looking forward to next year.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Looks great. How far south were you seeing them? I am two weeks out from my trip and I hope to still find good numbers around Happy Valley.

colonel,

Not very far south from what we saw... All the Caribou (in terms of the road) were around pump 2, but it did snow a good bit up there a few days ago and we didn't see any after that. I'd bet they will be much further south soon.

We flew out for 5 days after getting bored on the road waiting... That was incredible, caribou all over the place. East of the road about 25 miles.

coonazz

FNG
Assuming the fly out wasnt planned? How much did that cost? We thought about doing that too, but we had a raft and took it across instead.

It was not planned, we just showed up and asked if they had any openings. Negotiated a little bit and got it for less than half price. I really wish we HAD planned it so that my buddies could have brought a rifle along. Caribou seem to be very easy with a rifle and they would have killed some nice ones.

We also had a raft and took it across the Sag, but by the time we did that the caribou numbers were no where near what they were the two days prior. Turned out to be a lot of work for nothing.

Headed back next year to do a fly out, not messing around with the road hunt unless we see some on the way up. If it is half as good as this year, the guys I am going with are in for a treat.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Planning a fly out hunt right now. What do you guys think is the best week for hunting. Iwas recommended after Labor day