Bivys

InDeep

WKR
So my bivy needs a update , my OR advanced is worn and my back up is too heavy .. I have switched to floorless but prefer a bivy with my tent . So I want to get a Ul bivy ,being it will rarely be used for a stand alone shelter but will be on occasion but most of its use will be for bugs and ground moisture . So what do you bivy guys like ?

aron

WKR
I've had good luck with the TiGoat Raven Omni. It is an older model right around 9 oz but believe their new ones can be had for right around 6 oz.

OP
InDeep

InDeep

WKR
I had been looking at the raven. How wheel does the bugaboo hold out water ?

crumy

WKR
Always used under tarp so never had directly in rain but will say it had no condensation inside while it was snowing outside. Seemed to ball up and repel what moisture did get on it while using it

The only bivy experience I have is with a USGI bivy. It received a dose of camp dry each season before winter set in and it seemed to work well. I don't think its very heavy, but I am sure that there are lighter options out there.

a3dhunter

WKR
The Ti goat bivy or the Borah bivy would be the top two on my list, I have the Borah bivy and it has worked well with a tarp or floorless shelter. Just don't depend on a bivy under 16 oz to keep you dry if not using a tarp IMO.

Lawnboi

WKR
I also like the bugaboo II. May be a bit much if you will always be under a tarp though. It is completely waterproof. A little heavy. And it can be used stand alone if need be.

I have not had any condensation issues with mine yet even when I breath inside it. I wound up soaked in every other bivy that I have tried.

Have not tried the UL ones like tigoat or borah though.

bmart2622

WKR
If you do decide to go with the TiGoat, or Borah for that matter, you'll have to let me know what you think of it. I am in the same boat as you are, just looking for something to go inside of my floorless shelter. I really liked the looks of the Bearpaw Designs bug bivy, it comes with a lightweight rod to hold the mesh up off of your face, it weighs 12oz packed which is about double of the other two though.

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
my borah bivy blew up in colorado this year. i was on a slight hill and the bivy kinda twisted during the night. So i was half asleep when i grabbed the bivy near the mesh net to pull it back where it should be and most of the mesh panel ripped. i've since put fabric tape on it and prlly should have been more gentle with it but wasn't paying as much attention as i should have been. other than that i like it. can't speak for the tigoat but from what i've heard there legit.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I too use a Bugaboo e-Vent bivy sack made my Integral Designs but mine is 3 years old. It is lightweight and breathes well. I've used it with a floorless tarp tent and several night with just the bivy sack alone. It works well both ways. It has been rained on a couple of times and has kept me dry. Probably one of my better purchases for hunting trips.

TEmbry

WKR
I use the TiGoat under a tarp and love it. I use it out under the stars on clear summer nights. The mosquito netting is a must, and I find myself leaving it fully open (netting closed only) during most archery season temps.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
take a look at the MLD event bivy. Used mine in northern BC this year under a MLD Duomid and was very happy

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
integral designs microbivy. e-vent, 18.5 oz. and more importantly for me its a bomber piece of kit.

That seems like a lot more bivy than he would need under a tarp to me? I guess the area and season you intend to use it could make a big difference though.

I have been using the Tigoat Raven Omni this year and it has worked perfectly for my use. Most of the year I have been using it under a small cuben shelter and the last two trips I used it in my floorless SL5 in the snow.

Like the other guys have said, get the mesh added.

Mine weighs exactly 7.2 oz with the mesh.