Olympus Tough

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Right at the bottom it does say TG-3! So big question now is: Does this "WiFi" network run as self perpetuating network between the camera and the phone? In other words, will it work 20 miles back where no WiFi or cell towers exist? Sort of like bluetooth does?

It says it is compatible with the app, but I read it to say that some of the cameras that use the app may not support the remote function.

As far as needing a network, some wifi cameras make their own ad-hoc networks, so you don't need a router. I don't know if this camera does or not. I would hope it does.

Maybe an email to Olympus Customer Service could clear up both issues.

Shrek

WKR
Bb , did you get a clarification ? I have a TG 3 on the way but I'll turn it around if it won't work without a network.

Stid2677

WKR
The TG3 works in the bush. We used one this fall on my moose hunt. We had no service and was able the link the iPhone and iPad to the camera and control it remotely. Love the new theater that allows programming the timer.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The TG3 works in the bush. We used one this fall on my moose hunt. We had no service and was able the link the iPhone and iPad to the camera and control it remotely. Love the new theater that allows programming the timer.
You are now upgraded and running the TG3? How does that work with the way you digiscope? Same or different? Thanks!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am running the new TG3 with the lense adapter on my Swaro STS and in slides under the rubber eye piece perfectly. Have taken a few good long range shots.
This bull was close to 2000 yards away.
View attachment 19435

Daniel_M

WKR
You are now upgraded and running the TG3? How does that work with the way you digiscope? Same or different? Thanks!

Same. We used Steve's adapter for my TG3, same as it did the TG2- it stays in the eye piece, just align and spin 45* to lock. With wifi enabled on the camera and iphone, you can link to it and watch via realtime. Only complaint is the lack of video control, only still shots.

The app is "ok". It gets it done. I'd say the new features would appeal highly to folks who need to grab good still shots for legal judgement particularly on sheep. Had we not lost our TG2, I wouldn't have upgraded just for the new features.

Zero hands on makes for no interference and shakiness in the shot.

b66353272a481701d3d0cd712fe949ec.jpg

You can also download shots, minor editing and set the timer to whatever you'd like.

Last edited:
I just picked up a TG3 and want to make sure I get the right adapter for digiscoping.

I have an 80mm ATM Swaro, what attachment do I need to use it like Steve did? Anyway someone could provide a link to exactly what I need to buy?

How about an extra battery to keep in the pack?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!