DIY Pullouts, pouches and pockets

Leah K

FNG
Brad - Thanks for the pullout calculator you posted on google docs. I had some ripstop, but only had a 20" zipper lying around. That calculator made it super easy to figure how to cut the fabric!

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I just wanted to update this thread with some tips and tricks. I have been meaning to do this for a while but never got around to it. Since I am making up some more I figured I would add this update.

When working with any fabrics aside from silnylon, the fabrics like to fray. I have found that using the chisel tip of a soldering iron and a metal yard stick allows me to cut/melt the fabrics and it prevents any fraying.

20140623_204356.jpg

If you are going to do a bunch of items of the same size, get a piece of plexiglass and use it as your template. Here is mine for my standard larger pullout. Using a glass table top as the work surface, I just put the fabric down and then the plexiglass. Just trace around the edge with the soldering iron and you have a pile ready to go in no time.

20140623_204246.jpg

20140623_204330.jpg

20140623_204550.jpg

20140623_210905.jpg

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Probably same as the smaller ones. I don't have a Kifaru pullout but I would assume they are #5 or maybe #8 zippers. If I recall correctly, zippers are measured by the width in millimeters. So, a #5 is 5mm wide. Check any of the online outlets or Amazon and you should be able to find some. I would suggest finding either a bulk deal on Amazon or buying it by the foot and then just adding pulls as necessary.

I just checked and I have a bunch of #5 that I think I got from DIYGearsupply.com. Also, remember that the smaller #3 will work just fine and reduce weight unless you have a heavier duty application.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depending on what you're application is, even Walmart carries some bigger ones for coats and things of that nature. X2 on buy in bulk because you'll burn through a bunch just screwing around practicing.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
I got #8 YKK zippers and pulls from rockywoods.com , the #8's are pretty close in size to what's on the Kifaru pullouts , I bought in the bulk , a few yards and extra pulls , its cheaper that way .

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
What have you tried the water resistant zipper on? How do you think it would hold up as an entry zipper on a tent or tipi

I used a waterproof zipper on my "camp bag" that I made for carrying gear with the Kifaru Nomad. The thing with the waterproof zippers is they can be a little resistant when pulling at times. So, for a tent/tipi application, I would rather have a smooth flowing regular zipper and just make a flap to cover it. Plus, the waterproof zippers weigh quite a bit more than a regular one.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
I checked the size on the #8 YKK zippers vs what Kifaru uses on their pullout , they are the same size .

ZPLxPve.jpg

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Good looking stuff. Man, an #8 zipper just seems like a bit of overkill for a pullout. I imagine Kifaru does it because that is probably a standard zipper they use for many things and buy it in bulk. I have been perfectly happy with the #3 zippers for lightweight pullouts.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Yea , I've made a few with the #3 zippers and they do work fine , actually a little easier to work with the #3 and silnylon or light ripstop . The #8 while not expensive if you buy by the yard is kinda overkill on a pullout