Vintage Hunting Photos (post them up)

Stid2677

WKR
A Rokslider posted a cool pic of this family from back in the day getting it done. I really like the old photos and have a few I have collected over the years. Lets see the old timers showing how it was done in days gone by.

I will get us started.

1911001_zps94b21d02.jpg

319814_10152478049010093_1850938202_n_zpsc37db963.jpg

I wish I had more in digital form.

These are my great grandfather in the early 40's. He homesteaded in Alaska in the mid 1930's and among other talents was a successful hunter and trapper.

Sheep and Goat - Chugach Range (already posted this one)

Results of one of the annual spring trapping trips.

I know some of the guys on here have a family history of hunting, and should have some classics in the archives. Lets see them!

Yk

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Here is one from Kodiak Alaska,, this photo really intrigued me, as a lot could be imagined looking at it. Took me several years to finally get the details,,,,, I will let everyone ponder it before I reveal what I discovered.

Dead-Bear-hunter_zps00e7a079.jpg

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like a good rifle. Did it kill the bear that killed him? Anyway, he is dead.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is one from Kodiak Alaska,, this photo really intrigued me, as a lot could be imagined looking at it. Took me several years to finally get the details,,,,, I will let everyone ponder it before I reveal what I discovered.

Holy Santa clause shit!

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
This old photo has been around Kodiak since the 60s I believe. Several tales of what went down.. One went like this..

Husband and wife get in a fight,, he takes his rifle and heads off deer hunting,, never returns.

Wife figures he run off, or is just glad he is gone and never reports him missing. Who don't love a story? :)

colonel00

WKR
I am gonna guess that is Jimmy Hoffa! Sleeping with the fish became passe so they switched it up to sleeping with the bears.

More photos of my ancestors from the early days of Alaska.

Caribou hunting. Likely the Nelchina Herd.

Tarp camping. Note the beaver pelts hanging in the background.

Ultralight camping... apparently meant leaving the tarp at home.

Spring beaver trapping

Great granddad clearly got some miles out of his pack!

Yk

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider

I can't recall the story, but that is Bill Pinnell in the picture.

Somebody should call Joe Want, I bet he knows the story as he guided for Pinnell.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really awesome photos everyone! Keep them coming. My own family doesn't hunt, but I hope someday our relatives can look back at Luke and my photos and dream about the hunting of yesteryear....

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
As I said the photo sparked my curiosity, I knew if true it would have to had made the news yet a search of the library achieves revealed nothing. I was finally able to find a reference to photo in a published book titled "Some Bears Kill" by Larry Kaniut, The man in the Photo is Bill Pinnell, basically it was a staged hoax photo.

Mr Pinnell, found the rifle in front of the old cannery were they ran their bear guiding operation from. The bear skull was one the a client had left there, the book just says the Mr Pinnell "stumbled onto the human skull" with all the pieces in hand, Mr Pinnell who was known as a pratical joker staged the photo.

I bet he still looks down and gets a kick that his joke lives on long after he himself has left for the happy hunting ground.